Zack Smith back from the waiver edition

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Continue here,

From the last thread:
It's absolutely Melnyk. He bragged in the Boro interview that we had 10 new players this seasons, and that we'd have like 15 next season. He probably wasn't paying close attention, then had a freakout when he saw we had a veteran with a $3m salary.

We've seem how Melnyk operates:
Former Ottawa Senators executive sues Melnyk, team for $1.55M; alleges discord behind the scenes

He doesn't look good as 2c at this point...

I have no way of knowing if it's actually true that Melnyk put the hit on Zack Smith, but if we're speculating it's the scenario that makes the most sense.

Even if we ignore the coaching staff being happy with Smith's pre-season and just assume Dorion and Boucher aren't on the same page, the "sending a message for his poor play last year" doesn't pass the smell test considering the odd timing of Smith being placed on waivers.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm hoping that was just a line juggle and White gets in as 2c. It's the spot he should be groomed for, and since we're a young team with zero expectations at this point, there should be little pressure to go along with the assignment.

'top six'

Formenton Duchene Ryan
Tkachuk White Stone

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm hoping that was just a line juggle and White gets in as 2c. It's the spot he should be groomed for, and since we're a young team with zero expectations at this point, there should be little pressure to go along with the assignment.

'top six'

Formenton Duchene Ryan
Tkachuk White Stone

Dzingel on Duchene's RW would be a very fast line. White at 3C would be good as well. I can't see him playing ahead of Tierney at this point

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Dzingel on Duchene's RW would be a very fast line. White at 3C would be good as well. I can't see him playing ahead of Tierney at this point

I agree, I think we can run two second or third lines. We can spread the kid across three lines to shelter them a bit like

Formenton Duchene Ryan
Tkachuk Tierny Stone
Smith White Dzingle

Dzingle is fast but it would be nice to have his speed a weapon on another line as well, maybe load up here and there when we need it. Or to mess up line matching

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Winning faceoffs is a big part of being a good possession team. Playing with Stone and Tkachuk its a plus.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

'top six'

Formenton Duchene Ryan
Tkachuk White Stone

If by some sort of fast paced miracle White gets back on track, that would be a beautiful line.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I don’t understand how Dorion’s logic for waiving players doesn’t apply to Boro.
That video should have ended with a smiling Melnyk saying “So that’s why we’re putting you on waivers Boro.”

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I don’t understand how Dorion’s logic for waiving players doesn’t apply to Boro.
That video should have ended with a smiling Melnyk saying “So that’s why we’re putting you on waivers Boro.”
If Smith made 1.2 million per year he probably doesn't get put waivers and if he does he gets picked up by another team.

Reactions: Helistin

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I agree, I think we can run two second or third lines. We can spread the kid across three lines to shelter them a bit like

Formenton Duchene Ryan
Tkachuk Tierny Stone
Smith White Dzingle

Dzingle is fast but it would be nice to have his speed a weapon on another line as well, maybe load up here and there when we need it. Or to mess up line matching

You waiving/trading boedker?

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I'm just worried that he tried too hard to be an impact player and costs us games. Or, he overdoes it and injures a player then gets suspended. Hopefully he plays smarter.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If Smith made 1.2 million per year he probably doesn't get put waivers and if he does he gets picked up by another team.
Yeah I know. But that’s not the logic used by Dorion. He said it was strictly performance and nothing to do with cutting salary.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have to say that Smith was an excellent PKer in the last game. Him and Stone were fantastic together. If Smith can be played in the appropriate role to what he can provide I think he can be kept with the added bonus of being a beloved player. He just has to keep his fire burning especially as a role model for the kids.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have to say that Smith was an excellent PKer in the last game. Him and Stone were fantastic together. If Smith can be played in the appropriate role to what he can provide I think he can be kept with the added bonus of being a beloved player. He just has to keep his fire burning especially as a role model for the kids.

He is definitely good on the PK and was last year as well. I just don't like him in the top 6 other than being able to win face offs.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I’m pretty sure Smitty will be dealt by game 30. Dorion put him through waivers to make him more valuable. Paired with Stone and Tkachuk he’ll produce at least .6 PPG.

The first kid to excel in Belleville will get the call up. I’m guessing Chlapy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m pretty sure Smitty will be dealt by game 30. Dorion put him through waivers to make him more valuable. Paired with Stone and Tkachuk he’ll produce at least .6 PPG.

The first kid to excel in Belleville will get the call up. I’m guessing Chlapy.
His best season ever is 0.45.

Him producing at 0.6 would be great, but I wouldn't expect it.

His contract isn't changing, that's the reason teams don't want him, to go along with him not being an effective NHLer for the past 20 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad