Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Who exactly is Gudbranson keeping from the NHL? The D in Utica blows. You would prefer to waive EG? Biega and Pouliot are complete trash. EG is a 6/7 that needs to be traded, not waived

Sauntner looked ok when he played a couple of games. Have to think he would be better than Gubrandson, who seriously might be the worst defenceman in the NHL right now.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Sauntner looked ok when he played a couple of games. Have to think he would be better than Gubrandson, who seriously might be the worst defenceman in the NHL right now.
Poliot and Biega are probably the worst two dman in the NHL right now. Sautner just got back from a major injury. Perhaps he gets a look after the TDL

Reactions: canucks20

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
MacEwen was great tonight. There are atleast 4 other forwards on this team who could be booted to make way for this guy. Happy to see him get a point in his first game with limited minutes.

Reactions: LordBacon

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That’s what you got out of my post? Got it. Biega, Pouliot should be waived and EG should be traded. Doesn’t mean they are holding a bunch of studs from a promotion. They can enhance the D in the summer. Absolutely zero urgency as this team is picking high again

I honestly dont know what your point was.

Jasek is .5ppg in the AHL and his game translates well to bottom 6.
You were claming he isnt good enough for AHL. Am I supposed to engage you in an actual conversation on the "point" you feel you made?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I honestly dont know what your point was.

Jasek is .5ppg in the AHL and his game translates well to bottom 6.
You were claming he isnt good enough for AHL. Am I supposed to engage you in an actual conversation on the "point" you feel you made?
Who is Jasek taking out of the lineup?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
One thing at a time.
Why is he not good enough for the AHL?
I was making a general comment on the status of a lot of our “prospects” in Utica. They ain’t great. Some are treading water in the AHL. Jasek looks OK but certainly not NHL quality. Imo, the only deserving player was MacEwen. A lot of these “scrubs” on the canucks were producing far better than .5 PPG when they were in the AHL

Reactions: timw33

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Poliot and Biega are probably the worst two dman in the NHL right now. Sautner just got back from a major injury. Perhaps he gets a look after the TDL

Biega sits forever and keeps a great attitude and plays with heart and energy when called upon. He does about as much as we can expect from him. His usefulness to the Canucks will eventually runout of course, as does with all bubble/fringe guys, but for now I have no problem with him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
MacEwen had a solid debut imo. Got lots of ice-time in a 7-2 shellacking. But he's one of least four guys in Utica who bring more to the table than Schaller or Granlund.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Bull****.

Biega is 5th best d man on the team.
Lol! Ok you got me! Biega is a stud that just deserves more opportunities. Plug that can’t make a pass or direct a shot on net. I like the guy, all heart and he is a team player but he is trash

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
MacEwen had a solid debut imo. Got lots of ice-time in a 7-2 shellacking. But he's one of least four guys in Utica who bring more to the table than Schaller or Granlund.
Granlund scored at .85 PPG clip over a large AHL sample size. Who are the “at least 4 other guys than Mackewen” that are better in Utica? I don’t give two f***s about Granlund but that’s absurd. It’s a big jump to the NHL and we simply Don’t have ready prospects

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Lol! Ok you got me! Biega is a stud that just deserves more opportunities. Plug that can’t make a pass or direct a shot on net. I like the guy, all heart and he is a team player but he is trash

Being the 5th best D-man on the team doesn't imply that someone is a stud. It also doesn't imply they are or should be a regular NHLer. It just means he's better than two other guys. And he is.

Doesn't change the fact that neither Biega, Gudbranson, or Pouliot should be anywhere near a regular shift in the NHL. The Canucks need a major overhaul in the 5-7 spots. They also need to likely find a way to upgrade the top 4. That may mean moving one or two of Edler, Tanev, Hutton or Stecher.

Anyways...MacEwen had a good debut. Should have had way more ice time given the game was lost 10 minutes in. Certainly enjoyed his 9 minutes far more than any of the minutes played by Schaller and Granlund that's for sure.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So.
Came in here for some insight on how MacEwan played in a game I did not see. I'm getting a fascinating rehash of the deficiencies of Gudbranson and Pouliot and Granlund.

Awesome.
3 solid scoring chances and a primary assist. Sharks had some trouble with his size. Looks like a player from this extremely small sample size

Reactions: TheOtherGM

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Being the 5th best D-man on the team doesn't imply that someone is a stud. It also doesn't imply they are or should be a regular NHLer. It just means he's better than two other guys. And he is.

Doesn't change the fact that neither Biega, Gudbranson, or Pouliot should be anywhere near a regular shift in the NHL. The Canucks need a major overhaul in the 5-7 spots. They also need to likely find a way to upgrade the top 4. That may mean moving one or two of Edler, Tanev, Hutton or Stecher.
This is all fair I just don’t see Biega as our 5th best Defencemen. But arguing over who is worse between three poor defensmen in a Zack McEwen thread is pretty pointless

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Anyone know if MacEwan plays much centre for the Comets? Obviously it's only one game but loved it and would love to see a guy like him playing third line centre.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Another player not put into a position to succeed. The whole "starting with Horvat" was just a massive front. It's 6-1 and MacEwen is hardly playing. What a joke.

The idea of breaking in a brand new player gradually makes sense to me. He'll be seeing a pace and skill level he isn't used to and may have to adjust to. It can be easier to adjust gradually, being on the ice a bit, getting over the nerves, watching a bit, playing a bit and then getting some time to think about the differences and adjustments.

Further, the Canucks weren't exactly going to demonstrate good habits to MacEwen last night. They weren't going to win last night's game. They weren't going to show MacEwen how to play at the NHL level. They were demonstrating how to run around like chickens with their heads cut off, how to miss assignments and generally how to play losing NHL hockey.

He didn't need 16 minutes of playing time to see it and I don't think we want him getting used to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->