Player Discussion The Big Fella: Zack MacEwen (MAY 7 - Suspended 1 game)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oh hey, he's actually going to play tonight—that's great.

Might be the last nail in the coffin for Goldobin.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'd not be surprised if Goldobin was done. That play late in the 3rd when Tanev was audibly screaming at Goldobin to pick up the trailing Gaudreau only for him to be completely clueless about defending and not doing anything and forcing Markstrom to make a highlight reel glove save on Gaudreau to keep the game tied seemed like one of those "that's the last we've heard from him" type of moments. Tanev was visibly really frustrated at him after that pathetic play (which is super rare to see) and I assume Green was seething too.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'd not be surprised if Goldobin was done. That play late in the 3rd when Tanev was audibly screaming at Goldobin to pick up the trailing Gaudreau only for him to be completely clueless about defending and not doing anything and forcing Markstrom to make a highlight reel glove save on Gaudreau to keep the game tied seemed like one of those "that's the last we've heard from him" type of moments. Tanev was visibly really frustrated at him after that pathetic play (which is super rare to see) and I assume Green was seething too.

I missed that, got a video clip of it by any chance?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I missed that, got a video clip of it by any chance?

From memory I can give you a description. About five minutes left in 3rd period, Goldobin headed toward a harmless puck carrier near the boards at the blue line who was covered by the defenceman, leaving the slot wide open for the trailer (Gaudreau). It sort of epitomized his issues in that regard.

Mind you, the team gets smoked ~40% For / ~60% Against in almost every stat category when Tyler Motte is on the ice at even strength, and he seems to be cemented into the lineup.

Reactions: TruKnyte

E40

Nov 18, 2018
They briefly showed green seeming to give him a scolding on the bench, same game. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, I thought the CBC crew would have mentioned it at least

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They briefly showed green seeming to give him a scolding on the bench, same game. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, I thought the CBC crew would have mentioned it at least
I saw that clip myself, and said to myself, oh..oh...could be a benching coming up. But then it seemed to me Goldy was out there for his regular shift in the third period.

Actually, and granted I only see the games on TV, but seems to me that Goldy has upped his compete level since coming back from missing five games. He's at least noticeable along the wall in the defensive zone.

I'm not sure MacEewen can replace the skill that Goldy brings to the table, but who knows? He's been proving people wrong his entire career so far.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Another player not put into a position to succeed. The whole "starting with Horvat" was just a massive front. It's 6-1 and MacEwen is hardly playing. What a joke.

Reactions: EP40 and timw33

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wow Green listened, MacEwen with Horvat and MACEWEN CREATES A GOAL.

Who f***ing knew!!!!

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You're out of the game in the first 10 minutes and you play him only 9:45. This is the perfect opportunity to give him 16-18 and just see what he can do.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You're out of the game in the first 10 minutes and you play him only 9:45. This is the perfect opportunity to give him 16-18 and just see what he can do.

I like Green in some ways. He obviously pushed Hutton to a new level last year and I was furious with what he was doing but obviously he was right and I were way off.

But I don't for the life of me get why we are playing Pouliot and Gudbranson over Biega and who-ever-is-doing-best-in-Utica-at-any-given-time.
Or why Granlund, Eriksson, Beagle and Sutter are untouchable and will always be in the lineup no matter what, instead of giving Jasek and the like a look at the NHL level.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I like Green in some ways. He obviously pushed Hutton to a new level last year and I was furious with what he was doing but obviously he was right and I were way off.

But I don't for the life of me get why we are playing Pouliot and Gudbranson over Biega and who-ever-is-doing-best-in-Utica-at-any-given-time.
Or why Granlund, Eriksson, Beagle and Sutter are untouchable and will always be in the lineup no matter what, instead of giving Jasek and the like a look at the NHL level.
Slow down there
Jasek is not where near ready

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Speed up there this team isn't going anywhere this year.
Its the time to give the prospect looks in the NHL so they know what they need to work on.
If they aren’t ready for the AHL do we really need to see them in the NHL? No we don’t

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Doesn't stop them from playing Gudbranson now does it?
Who exactly is Gudbranson keeping from the NHL? The D in Utica blows. You would prefer to waive EG? Biega and Pouliot are complete trash. EG is a 6/7 that needs to be traded, not waived

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Who exactly is Gudbranson keeping from the NHL? The D in Utica blows. You would prefer to waive EG? Biega and Pouliot are complete trash. EG is a 6/7 that needs to be traded, not waived

Oh... So as long as you've snuck your way on the NHL team you don't have to be good enough for the NHL anymore. Got it.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Oh... So as long as you've snuck your way on the NHL team you don't have to be good enough for the NHL anymore. Got it.
That’s what you got out of my post? Got it. Biega, Pouliot should be waived and EG should be traded. Doesn’t mean they are holding a bunch of studs from a promotion. They can enhance the D in the summer. Absolutely zero urgency as this team is picking high again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad