Zack Kassian

dmacin2*

He is still young, really hard to say where his ceiling is. He definetaly regressed from his draft year.

I would say that maybe he will top out as a 20-30-50 player for most of his career.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eh, Kulikov wasn't what the Sabres were looking for that year. The better debate is will he be a better pro than the other player they were considering at that point -- Chris Kreider.

As for his upside, 20-20-40 and providing a strong physical presence with either bodychecks or his fists seems to be the ideal. We'll see if he can approach that -- early returns from Spits' camp have been very solid as he's meshed with import center Alexander Khokhlachev. He'll probably get a chance in an offensive role with the Spits compared to last year's checking/energy role.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Will Kulikov ever prove he should've been taken over Kassian?

Considering Kulikov was vastly more impressive in his one year of Juniors than Kassian has been in his three ; and that Kulikov is already a solid NHL player, its difficult to understand this comment.

Kassian was selected where he was due to need not talent. He has the potential and skillset to fill a very useful niche in the NHL, but in five years time, Kassian is going to be considered a poor choice in the slot he went.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Lucic is a solid player that I would hope Kassian turns into. If he is given a more scoring role in windsor (which he is and he is doing well so far) he may feel more comforatable in the offensive zone which could make him very dangerous in the coming years...

But we can only hope

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can't believe a lot of people are writing this kid off. He might not have the upside of a Kulikov, but that's not what the Sabres were after when they picked Kassian up.

I see him putting up Mike Fisher-esque numbers while being a physical threat and protecting the Sabres smaller and weaker players in an intimidating role.

Mount Royal

Achtung, baby
May 11, 2010
Montreal
I'd also like to learn more about Kassian...at least more than what stats would say.
Example...

Wasted draft pick, and that is coming from a sabres fan.

Why? I'll admit I haven't seen him much (that's why I'm here) but he never seemed unimpressive. I thought him becoming a Lucic type of player was realistic.

Mergus merganser

Oct 23, 2006
I'd also like to learn more about Kassian...at least more than what stats would say.
Example...

Why? I'll admit I haven't seen him much (that's why I'm here) but he never seemed unimpressive. I thought him becoming a Lucic type of player was realistic.

In my opinion, you do not draft 3rd liners in the top 15 picks. Like others have said, they drafted need over talent. I'd rather have the most talented player. Role players can be had through FA.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
In my opinion, you do not draft 3rd liners in the top 15 picks. Like others have said, they drafted need over talent. I'd rather have the most talented player. Role players can be had through FA.

Are you serious? If Kassian turns into Lucic the Sabres go laughing all the way to the bank.

Just look at the 2009 draft:

8 - Scott Glennie: Do you think Stars fans are exstatic about this pick?
9 - Jared Cowen: Is Cowen a much better prospect than Kassian? I certainly don't think so
10 - MPS: Has great speed but is sort of a boom/bust player
11 - Ellis: Maybe a few years away from making the show
12 - Dehaan: IMO should not have been picked that high
14 - Kulikov: Has obviously been impressive but you guys already have Myers
15 - Holland: Did not have a good year last year
16 - Leddy: We saw how high Minny was on him trading him right after drafting him
17 - Runblad: See Leddy
18 - Leblanc: Is getting his first taste of CHL hockey

Relax Sabre fans, Kassian was not a bad pick. At worst he is a 3rd liner. At best he is a Lucic type guy that strikes fear into opposing teams.

2008 #13 - Colton Tuebert
2007 #13 - Lars Eller
2006 #13 - Jiri Tlusty
2005 #13 - Marek Zagrapan

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I hate Kassian with a passion.

I have a feeling when he's potting a Gordie Howe hat trick Sabres fans will be fairly content.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
People who say Kassian doesn't have talent haven't watched him enough. He can be inconsistent, but when the kid is 'on' he's one of the best players on the ice. He needs to focus on his skill set and not to be a sideshow. He can let his emotions get the better of him, but I think with maturing that will be resolved.

This year will be a very good measuring stick for him if he's returned to the Spitfires. He'll be their go-to guy offensively, and so far in the preseason he's looked like that player scoring eight points in three games.

member 30781

Hes a big power forward with good offensive abilities. He, as most people know, isnt afraid to take the body and surely isnt afraid to drop the mitts and beat down opponents physically. I dont think he will be a top line guy, but 2nd line is where Im pegging him because, while playing a rough and tumble, grinding style, he still has better hands and better skills than most grinders in the NHL.

Last season was not up to par for Kassian, and Im sure he would tell you that as well. But he has shown that he can score. It might not be a fair comparison, but I think he will be a MUCH better, skilled version of Sean Avery. He will be a player you love to hate because he will be a massive pest when playing against him, but you will jump at the chance to get him on your team because he has a tremendous blend of size, grit, and skill.

Sabres picked up a great all-around player.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
You cant count Kassian out quite yet and I havent. I think he is going to have a seriously good year with the spitfires if he stays with him and he is really meshing well with that Kosomethin guy so far in the preseason so you never kno but maybe thats who the sabres target in the 2011 draft and they work together on the sabres. If that is what happens that would just be amazing lol

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kassian provides an element that Buffalo doesn't really have. That is, toughness/size that can actually play a Top-6 role.

Anyone who says he's going to be nothing more than a 3rd line grinder must not have seen the kid play enough. He's got good skills, maybe not in the Hall/Seguin category, but considering his physical attributes, enough that if he tops out at his ceiling, could be a poor man's Todd Bertuzzi.

If he improves his skating, I could see him being a 25 goal, 150 PIM type power forward. Even if he doesn't, he's got the skills to regularly approach 20 goals, as well as adding a monster physical game.

Hardly a bad pick at 13th overall.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Are you serious? If Kassian turns into Lucic the Sabres go laughing all the way to the bank.

Just look at the 2009 draft:

8 - Scott Glennie: Do you think Stars fans are exstatic about this pick?
9 - Jared Cowen: Is Cowen a much better prospect than Kassian? I certainly don't think so
10 - MPS: Has great speed but is sort of a boom/bust player
11 - Ellis: Maybe a few years away from making the show
12 - Dehaan: IMO should not have been picked that high
14 - Kulikov: Has obviously been impressive but you guys already have Myers
15 - Holland: Did not have a good year last year
16 - Leddy: We saw how high Minny was on him trading him right after drafting him
17 - Runblad: See Leddy
18 - Leblanc: Is getting his first taste of CHL hockey

Relax Sabre fans, Kassian was not a bad pick. At worst he is a 3rd liner. At best he is a Lucic type guy that strikes fear into opposing teams.

2008 #13 - Colton Tuebert
2007 #13 - Lars Eller
2006 #13 - Jiri Tlusty
2005 #13 - Marek Zagrapan

All of those prospects, except Leddy and maybe LeBlanc, are better prospects than Kassian.

And the history of 13th overall is underwhelming at best. Zagrapan is in the KHL for another two years at least, Tlusty is Too Lusty (or Tbusty), Eller is a good prospect who has proven nothing and Colten Teubert is looking like a shutdown guy with limited upside, eight types of meh.

That said, for any other team to pick Kassian inside the top 20 is the height of stupidity, but for a downy-soft team like Buffalo it looks alright. Provided he's not a total bobo (jury's out on that), he could almost be as good as Lucic.

sauce

Dec 31, 2008
Has to improve his skating, but could be a very solid NHLer for a long time. He'll never put up numbers (I think the 20-30-50 is very optimistic), but he COULD justify his draft status by playing smart, tough hockey on the 2nd/3rd lines and scaring the bejesus out of everyone. In my mind, he still has a long way to go to get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad