Player Discussion Zack Kassian

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Alex Stalock and Corey Crawford both have more points in less games played than Kassian.

There are 23 goalies who have a point this year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Kassian is the worst contract at points per $ this year among Standard Player contracts who have played in the bulk of their games. He sits right at the bottom of the pile. To make matters worse, Spooner is 4th and Lucic is 5th worse. Its an $11 million dollar disaster.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've really liked Kass's game ever since that trade request. He's been great. He's such a valuable bottom-six guy when he plays like this. Really dangerous with his speed.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Been playing well lately. Hope he keeps it up. I think he brings an element to the Oilers that we need. Apparently he’s a great guy in the room and all the guys love him.

Keep it up Kass.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He needs to be more consistent with his offensive production to be a 3rd liner.
Still prone to taking a dumb penalty.
Love his work on the PK, though. So when he isn't taking the dumb penalty he's a good guy to put out there.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is his contract up again? What could possibly explain Zach Kassian playing with a little hustle for the first time in years. This version of him has been non existent for 1.5 seasons.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Kassian is the type of player Oilers fans and management always fall in love with.

Solid 4th liner but easily replaceable. Yet somehow is built up as being more than that.

If Gretzky does his job Kassian will be dealt to a contender before the deadline.

Reactions: space321

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kassian is the type of player Oilers fans and management always fall in love with.

Solid 4th liner but easily replaceable. Yet somehow is built up as being more than that.

If Gretzky does his job Kassian will be dealt to a contender before the deadline.
The guy is currently behind Connor and Leon for goals in the past 10 games or so. The guy is doing his job.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He needs to be more consistent with his offensive production to be a 3rd liner.
Still prone to taking a dumb penalty.
Love his work on the PK, though. So when he isn't taking the dumb penalty he's a good guy to put out there.
I'm okay with the dumb penalty from time to time. Last year he got away from playing physical as he took those penalties early in the year and never had the confidence to play physical again.

The way he's played in 19 is what we first saw of Zack. It's just unfortunate that we don't have anyone between him and the big 3 to score right now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

9 points in 12 games. On a team with zero depth.... Good 4th liners who have some offensive upside are not easily replaceable. Rieder, Brodziak, Cave. Those 4th liners are really lighting it up. Not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
9 points in 12 games. On a team with zero depth.... Good 4th liners who have some offensive upside are not easily replaceable. Rieder, Brodziak, Cave. Those 4th liners are really lighting it up. Not.
If someone wants to overpay for Kassian, then so be it. But I see no value in getting a 4th rounder for the guy at this point.

We have enough positions to fill up front for next year.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
I'm not a big fan of Kassian because of his tendency to play with too much emotion sometimes and cost his team by taking dumb penalties while they are in the offensive zone. He's fast for his size but that's not the size that currently flows around the NHL. I don't know why people think he's a good penalty killer, he leaves his point man wide open too many times....point in case the Montreal game he leaves one of the hardest shooting defense men in NHL history Shea Weber wide open for a one-timer and on the very next penalty kill gets put right back out there and literally does the exact same thing by chasing the guy with the puck while there are already 3 Oilers on that player.

He's the kind of guy that the media in Toronto has been begging for because they love the gritty, hard working players like him and his cap hit would work if they can get Connor Brown in return as their salaries are very similar and Kassian has 3 more goals than Brown this year despite Brown playing around a much more higher skilled team but Brown has been a non-factor this year for the Leafs because of their depth but is 3 years young, a better penalty killer, has more pure skill than Kassian and is a former teammate of McDavid's and might be very productive if given a chance to consistently play with more skilled players. Kassian proved in the Oilers playoff run, his style of play can change a playoff round and I'm sure the Leafs could use him if they end up playing Boston again.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If someone wants to overpay for Kassian, then so be it. But I see no value in getting a 4th rounder for the guy at this point.

We have enough positions to fill up front for next year.

Exactly. We complain there isn’t enough NHL talent on the roster, can’t move what we have for middle picks that probably never pan out. If some team decides to overpay (which they won’t) then by all means, move him. He’ll fetch a better return next year at the TD when his contract is expiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad