Player Discussion Zack Kassian

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Poor excuse. Kassian mailed it in last year from day one, long before the Oilers were out of it. Dude didn't score a goal for nearly 2 months to start the year. Pure garbage all season. Played like a guy who got his contract and knew he was set for three years.

Kassian's **** play falls squarely on his shoulders. Not the team being out of it, not the penalty kill. 100% Kassian.

While I think it's 100% fair for you to say that I noticed from the moment he showed up that he plays better when the team is playing well. I have a feeling he would have had a better season if the team wasn't in shambles.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
While I think it's 100% fair for you to say that I noticed from the moment he showed up that he plays better when the team is playing well. I have a feeling he would have had a better season if the team wasn't in shambles.

Conversely, the team wouldn't be in shambles if so many guys didn't look like crap to start, like Kassian...

Reactions: thadd

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think we are being to harsh on Kass. I'll admit to loving this player but I saw plenty of effort. Its 2018 and his game doesn't translate as good as it did before. His brutal style of physicality results in penalties, I imagine it's hard on the confidence to take a penalty and blame yourself for a goal that the PK let in. Makes you stop playing your game and play more conservatively. He had a lot of chances, lots got called back or hit the post. Still think he's exactly what we need in the bottom 6, just needs the confidence back up, it'll come with team success. He's a complimentary role player not an all star, when he has the right linemates and is in the right environment he'll thrive.

Your PVR is broken and stuck on 2017. I would get it fixed, or not if you prefer that picture..;),

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If we're going to call a spade a spade he was every bit as trash this past season as Milan Lucic was. Two players who need to set the tone and make an impact physically and neither did.

On the bright side Kassian is 2 million a year trash for 2 more years instead of 6 for 5.

Also on the bright side I have more confidence in Kassian's game rebounding than I do Lucic's. Hopefully Khaira, Brodziak and Kassian can form one of the top 4th lines in the league.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He's been awful, and I'm a big Kassian fan. Chiasson is pretty soft but at least he can score a goal here and there. I'd send him packing to the AHL or for a pick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's been awful, and I'm a big Kassian fan. Chiasson is pretty soft but at least he can score a goal here and there. I'd send him packing to the AHL or for a pick.
Just keep him as an extra forward until you find something better. Hate to start running into injuries and then be calling up everyone from Bakersfield whether they are ready or not.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was willing to give the guy some slack this season, as we had a lot of guys crap the bed last year as well. But after seeing his pathetic effort last night, put him on waivers and be done with it.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Is anyone as sick of Kassian's dumb penalties and antics as I am? He's good for a bad hit, slash, or unsportsmanlike every game. I understand that he's fed up with the lack of officiating going our way, as we all are, but I mean come on.. don't take stupid penalties because of it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Is anyone as sick of Kassian's dumb penalties and antics as I am? He's good for a bad hit, slash, or unsportsmanlike every game. I understand that he's fed up with the lack of officiating going our way, as we all are, but I mean come on.. don't take stupid penalties because of it.
Incredibly annoying to watch.

Reactions: McDaddy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pretty sure he has a penalty streak going....

I've been done with Kassian for awhile now. Got a fat extension and his brain turned off.

Reactions: McDaddy

space321

May 11, 2011

That's his... wait for it... IDENTITY.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
another dumb contract. 1.9M for someone who could do the same thing for a million or more less.

wanted him gone after his preseason, but likely nobody would have wanted him at that salary.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We need him to intimidate guys like Tkuchuk.
Between Khaira, Lucic and Nurse someone should be able to keep Tkachuk in line.

I like Kassian and he seems to create more offensively than others due to his speed, but he's pretty much doing nothing else. Ideally you keep him as your muscle and move Lucic, but that's not happening. Might as well move Kassian for cap space and a add a skill set that can help us.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I do feel like the league is about to shift towards bigger stronger guys again. When you’ve got shrimps like Gaudreau and Petersen dipsy doodling with no repercushions teams are going to realize that physical intimidation is an important tactic. I would argue we need one or 2 more Kassian type players, get rid of ineffective guys like Yammer and Caggs and add some muscle/skill guys.

Instead of trying to play everyone else’s game why not approach it like McDavid does—make your own game and play by your own rules!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I haven't actually minded Kassian too much the last month. At least he's got involved. Despite the penalties Angry Kassian is better than uninvolved Kassian which we saw all of last season. I'm not a fan of his, never have been, but he's showing more skill on the puck than a lot of our bottomsix and really he's a better player in every way than Lucic and making far less. Kass has also been good on pk.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
A few of the penalties he has gotten are for being too big or reputation calls. He should also be drawing more power plays but the refs seem to put the whistle away for certain players. That doesn't excuse the stupid ones he takes, but IMO he has been given a raw deal some nights.

I try not to be negative about officials, but do count on:
  • big, mobile players getting called for things a small player wouldn't.
  • McDavid drawing a fraction of what should... swear it's because the defender has no choice but to do it.
  • getting goalie interference calls totally wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->