Player Discussion Zack Kassian

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Haven’t heard much talk about kassian this year. His stats are not great but he never seems to make any bad mistakes and always seems to give his all. I was expecting a better offensive year from him but he never really takes any criticism around here for not producing. Curious to see what others think of his play so far this year

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He goes out and does his job every shift. Play physical, skate fast, contribute offensively when you can, don't be a liability defensively. He still takes the occasional dumb penalty sometimes, but other than that your ideal 4th liner.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Goes out and does his job. There is one thing for certain, if you f*** with one of our players or even him himself, you are going to pay the price. Hall, Dubinsky, and Duclair are prime examples. I still smile whenever I think of that situation against Phoenix.

He is one of the main reasons we aren't soft as baby shit anymore.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think he's been working on playing a cleaner game where he doesn't grab the attention of the refs while on the ice. Never seen a player get shafted so badly by officials because of the name on the back of his jersey. Really liking his game this year.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
He looks amazing behind the net but him handling the puck anywhere around either blueline puts me at risk of an aneurysm.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Agreed. he skates well and has good hands but needs to be more aware of his line mates and be better at distributing the puck and getting into open areas. Hardly ever see him get a shot off in a dangerous location

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Something was off with him in the first 15 games and every facet of his game was less intense. Not sure what was going on, maybe he too was sick with the infections that have been going around the team.

The last 20 games has seen him compete better, be more involved, and his typical self here. This makes a big difference to our 4th line play and pk.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
most of what I wanted to say has been said except:

He'd have a few more goals if he'd have shot on some of his breakaways

Reactions: ToddsBod

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If the word on the street is that a flu bug was going through the team, I wouldn't be surprised if that helps explain his first part of the season.

His team is based around energy and emotion, and having that drained out of you by the flu could really affect your game.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Love Kassian, never thought I'd be saying that after watching him in the OHL. He is the ideal 4th liner for this team, and being able to slot him in from lines 1-3 when need be is also a major bonus. Hope he stays an Oiler for a long long time, Lucic and he are the biggest reasons we aren't driven through the boards on a regular basis anymore.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I believe there is more to Kass than a bottom 6 guy personally. This year he hasn't been as good so maybe its just wishful thinking but I love his game.

Has speed size is aggressive and hits plus has an NHL calibre shot. Responsible two way player excellent penalty killer... I believe he would be great on the PP as well. Whats not like? Took a small discount to show some gratitude to the organization for giving him another chance.

He imo drives his line and fits perfectly with Letestu. They get called our fourth line and minutes wise I suppose its true but thier skill set and effectivness to me makes them seem so much more.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I believe there is more to Kass than a bottom 6 guy personally. This year he hasn't been as good so maybe its just wishful thinking but I love his game.

Has speed size is aggressive and hits plus has an NHL calibre shot. Responsible two way player excellent penalty killer... I believe he would be great on the PP as well. Whats not like? Took a small discount to show some gratitude to the organization for giving him another chance.

He imo drives his line and fits perfectly with Letestu. They get called our fourth line and minutes wise I suppose its true but thier skill set and effectivness to me makes them seem so much more.

What do you mean by more than a bottom six guy? Like a potential top six guy?

I like Kassian and agree he drives his line. That is a fourth line. A very good fourth line but that's all. Kassian is a good fourth line winger who can step up to the third line for stretches. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't see that as more than a bottom six guy.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What do you mean by more than a bottom six guy? Like a potential top six guy?

I like Kassian and agree he drives his line. That is a fourth line. A very good fourth line but that's all. Kassian is a good fourth line winger who can step up to the third line for stretches. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't see that as more than a bottom six guy.

I look at Maroon, who I like, and think complimentary top 6 player or top 9 forward at least. I think Kassian is better at hockey and could do what Maroon does at least.

When we most likely move on from Letestu I wonder if we bump him up and remake the 4th line next year with guys that are not as good but play them less.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
When we most likely move on from Letestu I wonder if we bump him up and remake the 4th line next year with guys that are not as good but play them less.

I know it's only one game but man the third line was horrible last night.

Kass and Letestu were bad. Camalleri was terrible.

Sure re-make the entire fourth line. After last night's game I'm not sure if you could deliberately make a worse fourth line.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
He's been kind of hit or miss this year. He seems to be missing a bit of that reckless intensity he was rocking last season,
That being said, he's still one of the best fourth-liners in the league, and a difference maker in a variety of ways when he on his game. Hoping he's here for a long time still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad