Zack Kassian vs. Charlie Coyle

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
i see kassian of more of a boom or bust type, not sure if he could adjust to being a bottom 6er.

i like kassians skill set alot and i cant comment on coyle/ make my pick as i havent seen enough of him.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Why does Kassian have to be a bottom 6 player? I see him as a top 6, more than likely full time 2nd line power forward. Hell, he could be put on the first line to make room. The kid has skill. As for Kassian vs Coyle, I've never seen him, but I know Kas has the skill set to be a top 6 player.

squidz*

Why does Kassian have to be a bottom 6 player? I see him as a top 6, more than likely full time 2nd line power forward. Hell, he could be put on the first line to make room. The kid has skill. As for Kassian vs Coyle, I've never seen him, but I know Kas has the skill set to be a top 6 player.

I don't think you're understanding the post you're replying to.

He said that Kassian couldn't be a bottom 6 player. That means if he doesn't establish a top 6 role, he won't make the NHL. I don't know enough about him to say whether I agree with that or not, but that's what Alexander Keith was saying.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hmmm, Kassian brings a robust physical game that could, if his offense doesn't develop as advertised, give him a place in the bottom six. If he can continue to round out his scoring and learn to take better lines defensively, a second line PF (as was mentioned) seems like his peak.

Coyle too could be a 2nd line type if everything grows in his game and he has enough bang to be a possible bottom six guy. *shrug*

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This is actually a great comparison. I would have to think long and hard in terms of who I like better.

As of now, I would pick Coyle because I think he's very close to Kassian in terms of skill-set & upside, but without the character concerns and isn't a wildcard.

I think both players have the potential to be first-line forwards. Kassian's raw playmaking ability is sensational. It will be a darn shame if he can't get his head straight and be a consistent force.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The meanstreak in Kassian makes me wanna take him over Coyle. Very similar prospects but I take Kassian because hes tough as nails and thats a personal preference I suppse

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
From everything I've read about Coyle he has excellent hockey sense, he is a good skater and shows offesnive potential. Skating and hockey sense are the two most valuable assests a player could have imo.

jughead42*

I think its absolutely ridiculous to say Kassian is a top 6 or nothing NHL player. Even if he doesn't have the skill to be a top 6 he's got more than enough ability as a fighter to carve out a successful NHL career as an enforcer. There aren't more than a handful of guys in the league right now who toss the mitts at his level. At the worst he's an enforcer, at best he's a top 6 power forward. I have no idea about Coyle though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think its absolutely ridiculous to say Kassian is a top 6 or nothing NHL player. Even if he doesn't have the skill to be a top 6 he's got more than enough ability as a fighter to carve out a successful NHL career as an enforcer. There aren't more than a handful of guys in the league right now who toss the mitts at his level. At the worst he's an enforcer, at best he's a top 6 power forward. I have no idea about Coyle though.

Yeah I thought that was a pretty crazy statement really.

Kassian is a legit heavyweight and even with his skill level right now, if he nevers pans out you can expect a pretty skilled enforcer on your teams bottom 6 that can chip in 10 goals. That is very rare for a heavyweight and a valuable thing to have

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I thought that was a pretty crazy statement really.

Kassian is a legit heavyweight and even with his skill level right now, if he nevers pans out you can expect a pretty skilled enforcer on your teams bottom 6 that can chip in 10 goals. That is very rare for a heavyweight and a valuable thing to have

I suspect his low end is a Chris Neil type of forward -- can regulate, can hit, can chip in some scoring from time to time. High end is still really up to him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I suspect his low end is a Chris Neil type of forward -- can regulate, can hit, can chip in some scoring from time to time. High end is still really up to him.

Thats actually a perfect comparison, though I tihnk Kassian will be much more physically imposing than Neil was. The kid is just downright scary and a little bit of a nut job.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Thats actually a perfect comparison, though I tihnk Kassian will be much more physically imposing than Neil was. The kid is just downright scary and a little bit of a nut job.

I love his style of play! I would put a team of Kassian's together if I could. As a Leaf fan, I hope Tyler Biggs keeps his play up, their nasty streak seems to be similar.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Coyle.

Kassian could turn into a nice power forward but there is more risk involved with picking him. Coyle is a safer bet imo.

jughead42*

Yeah, Neil wishes he was half as intimidating. What makes him a great enforcer is the fact he enjoys that job a lot more than most. Maybe that's the "nut job" thing about him people talk about, but its not a bad thing. He doesn't run around looking to start stuff, because he does have the skill to play the game - its almost impossible to take the puck from him along the boards. However when circumstance dictates, he seems to relish knocking people stupid with his fists.

I was at a very pedestrian pre-season game for the Spitfires last year, I had seats 2nd row from the glass. Kassian is along the boards protecting the puck when a guy runs him a bit from behind, knocking him down. He got up like it was nothing, and had a look on his face like it was no big deal. I shouted "kick his ass!" as he turned to face the guy, and he must have heard me because its as if a switch went off and he went into ultra Kassian beast mode. He grabbed the guy and clobbered him with a look on his face that made me scared for my life. I'm sure he'll find tougher competition in the NHL, but there's no doubt he's up for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad