Zack Kassian Dive

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
should be a dive only...the fact that he propels himself into the air on his own accord after a little tug from franzen is all you need to see but the REFs are terrible in the NHL

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
That wasn't even the best embellishment in this GAME.

If anyone is a .gif expert or whatever, do one of the Ryan Stanton penalty on Tomas Tatar in the first period. That was EPIC. Tatar is going to get by Stanton, and decides to grab Stanton's stick, pull it into his crest and fall down. It's amazingly well executed and on the replay completely obvious what happened, but it wouldn't be at all when watching it at full speed from across the ice.

Just an absolute masterpiece of a dive.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Man he looked like one of the Russian Juniors with that dive.

Man, I thought I was the only one who noticed those Russian kids diving all over the ice. We didn't play disciplined, particularly in the first PF. but playing a team of divers didn't help us.

Back to the matter at hand in the post:
I highly dislike the embellishment call because I feel as though referees will call it instead of a dive (which means the opposing team to the diver is also penalized.)

I'm the game players aren't being punished for diving. You could argue that they're penalized because they forfeit their powerplay. But it's not much of a punishment because they're still at even strength.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
uh.. franzen took his stick placed it on his leg and tugged with the hook of his stick.. thats hooking or tripping

Whatever else is your imagination of what Kassians intentions, balance and franzens strength are

I'm not sure how i can make it any simpler, but let me try.

During a hockey game, players tug at each other with their sticks all the time. As they backcheck, as they jockey for position, etc. Watch any good two way forward and they do it a hundred times a game. By the literal interpretation of the rule, yes that could be called a hook. But it's not.

There is a threshold that the refs set as to what level of a hook is actually worthy of a penalty. It's what can be so frustrating as a player when the refs don't keep that threshold consistent within a game.

It's not my imagination. It's how hockey is actually played. Not your fictional version where every time a player tugs on another player with his stick, it's a hooking penalty.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Man he looked like one of the Russian Juniors with that dive.

ohyou.jpg

I'm not sure how i can make it any simpler, but let me try.

During a hockey game, players tug at each other with their sticks all the time. As they backcheck, as they jockey for position, etc. Watch any good two way forward and they do it a hundred times a game. By the literal interpretation of the rule, yes that could be called a hook. But it's not.

There is a threshold that the refs set as to what level of a hook is actually worthy of a penalty. It's what can be so frustrating as a player when the refs don't keep that threshold consistent within a game.

It's not my imagination. It's how hockey is actually played. Not your fictional version where every time a player tugs on another player with his stick, it's a hooking penalty.

It's similar to holding in football. The old "you could call one on every play" goes a bit far in hockey, but it doesn't mean Franzen didn't hook the guy, either.:dunno

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
It's odd because Kassian isn't a "diver" but he sure sold that one. Embarrassing for sure, but it's not the worst I've ever seen, and definitely not thread worthy.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I like how Franzen also got called for a trip.

It's either a trip or a dive. Calling both makes no sense and is embarrassing.

Why can't it be both? The call is for embellishing. If you hook someone and they dive, you can still get called for the hook.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014

If anyone is a .gif expert or whatever, do one of the Ryan Stanton penalty on Tomas Tatar in the first period. That was EPIC. Tatar is going to get by Stanton, and decides to grab Stanton's stick, pull it into his crest and fall down. It's amazingly well executed and on the replay completely obvious what happened, but it wouldn't be at all when watching it at full speed from across the ice.

Thanks for mentioning it, it seems to have gone unnoticed. It was certainly a better dive, he didn't get called for it.

embee

Apr 29, 2011

Haha I forgot about that one, the old "let me hold your stick to my chest so you get a penalty" trick. Works every time.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Because that's exactly what embellishment means. "The action of adding details or features"

Yeah, he got hooked. Then faked a massive fall to make it look much worse than it was. For this one I'm fine with there being two penalties, since there was still a hook, but I wish embellishment was a double minor

You should tell the OP them. He's confusing dive with embellishment in the thread title..

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
I like how Franzen also got called for a trip.

It's either a trip or a dive. Calling both makes no sense and is embarrassing.

Why?
There was an obvious trip - a 2 minute penalty
Then the player embellished the trip (takes a dive) - also a 2 minute penalty

Why should it be one or the other, both are infractions

One or either could of been called from different referee's simultaneously

Vladiator16*

uh.. franzen took his stick placed it on his leg and tugged with the hook of his stick.. thats hooking or tripping

Whatever else is your imagination of what Kassians intentions, balance and franzens strength are

Excuses, excuses, excuses... If you take your homer glasses off you might see what 99% of people here see - an embellishment. Which should be looked down upon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad