This kid isn’t going to go UFA lol

It rarely happens to the big market teams, and it never happens to the Rangers

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I'll give you weight/strength.

Height is f***ing useless.

First of all, it's totally marginal. I'm taller than like 90-95% of the population (I'm about 6'1"/6'2"ish) and nobody would ever notice that I'm tall. I'm like five centimeters taller than everyone else. That's like, a bug. Unless you're super ass tall, (6'5"+) it's not even a thing. Kravtsov is 6'3"/6'4" and I don't even notice him in that regard. Buchnevich is 6'3"; tell me with a straight face that you even remember that.

Second, hockey is the only major team sport where playing above your shoulders is literally illegal. Height is way more useful in every other sport, even the "soft" ones. 6'3"/6'4" attackers in soccer are undefendable in the right positions. Tall baseball players have more range defensively. Don't get me started on basketball. What exactly do tall hockey players accomplish? They have to slide the puck along the ice like everyone else.

And while I'm at it, don't even get me started on the imaginary "you can only have two defensemen capable of scoring" quota.

Height and weight have direct correlation. Of course you could be like Manute Bol and be 7 and a half feet tall and skinny as a twig, but there’s more area to hold muscle. The strongest 5’10 guy is going to lose to the strongest 6’2 guy. Not only that, but greater height tends to mean greater reach and greater strides, which is evident by Mantis and how his body helps his game out tremendously. You can be a really great defender at 5’10, but if you’re competing against an Alex Ovechkin, the extra height and weight makes a difference.

Reactions: Barnaby

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Rangers have a lot of everything besides Center. Had the Rangers not not won lotteries they likely would have more at center in the pipeline yet banking on a Kras, etc with Laf and/or Kakko elsewhere.

This is the best problem we could have hoped for.
seriously, we'd have Zegras and Lundell if we didn't have Kakko and Laf

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
That, and just because they are small, doesn't mean they can't play physical (which is the one reason always brought up as to why we can't have more small defensemen).

Watch Lundkvist for a full game and you notice he doesn't shy away from the dirty areas, the physical play. I am not worried about him. He's turning 21 this summer. The same age as Adam Fox when he signed his ELC. He's a good skater and that's more important than being physical in today's NHL.

Eh, yes and no. You need a balance. You can be effective as a smaller player, but ideally you want a balance. It’s nice to have a Fox, Jones, Lundkvist etc... but it’s also nice to have a Miller, Trouba, and Schneider. Size and reach matter particularly in the playoffs. We see that year im and year out. That’s why I like that they’ve drafted and developed a real balance.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Who has the higher ceiling between him and Lundkvist?

@nyr2k2 @Amazing Kreiderman ?

I feel like it's hard to compare the two. In a great way, they both seem so different. Jones' coach said he got better and better at D while being a great OFD. Whereas from what I've learned about NL, he was always an outstanding defender and the offense just came and came it seems.

I feel like the Hartford D is gonna be lights out while we figure out WTF we're doing with this team.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's funny how our problems were caused by winning the lottery two years in a row.

only thing that can screw this up is extending veterans too long.

Kreider & Trouba might be a real problem
Panarin will always have that shot so he’s fine
Zibby - stay tuned
Buch - this could be a problem
Strome - goodbye on Monday or let the contract run out

Eichel? Please no, $10 million is way too much with this young pipeline.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
@nyr2k2 @Amazing Kreiderman ?

I feel like it's hard to compare the two. In a great way, they both seem so different. Jones' coach said he got better and better at D while being a great OFD. Whereas from what I've learned about NL, he was always an outstanding defender and the offense just came and came it seems.

I feel like the Hartford D is gonna be lights out while we figure out WTF we're doing with this team.
Jones is solid defensively. He's one of those players who just excels at everything because he's smart. I think he has the higher pure offensive upside of the two because of his vision and ability to read the play, where the play is going.

Lundkvist is a better defensive player at this point and whole I don't think he has the pure offensive upside, he still has good offensive potential. The fact that he has basically dominated twice, at such a young age, in one of the top leagues against men establishes a higher floor and makes you wonder what the upside really could be.

I think Lundkvist becomes the better two-way player and Jones becomes the better point producer. I think Lundkvist also has the higher floor based on his accomplishments to date and his skating.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jones is solid defensively. He's one of those players who just excels at everything because he's smart. I think he has the higher pure offensive upside of the two because of his vision and ability to read the play, where the play is going.

Lundkvist is a better defensive player at this point and whole I don't think he has the pure offensive upside, he still has good offensive potential. The fact that he has basically dominated twice, at such a young age, in one of the top leagues against men establishes a higher floor and makes you wonder what the upside really could be.

I think Lundkvist becomes the better two-way player and Jones becomes the better point producer. I think Lundkvist also has the higher floor based on his accomplishments to date and his skating.

This is a good explanation of the differences. We might forget that Lundkvist was a defense-first guy when we drafted him and that the offense came later. He's very solid in his own zone and that I think will translate very well. The way he moves laterally, his gap control and how he reads the game isn't really a product of the rink size etc. That's something that just works in my opinion.

Jones is a great offensive D-man right now and he doesn't have a lot to learn in that department. His puck possession skills are through the roof, it's his play away from the puck that needs work. Offensively, when he joins the rush he sometimes leaves a huge gap behind him and he's one bad bounce away from a breakaway the other way. Those are the areas where he needs to improve. Pick his moments.

Defensively he's better than he was when he started with UMass and he told me he talks to Cale Makar a lot who helps him out with that. Not a bad guy to have on speed-dial, I'd say. I like that Jones is spending another year in college because it gives him the time to round out his overall game without the pressure to perform straight away. He can sign a 3-year ELC in 2022 and then start his pro career.

Ultimately, Jones will be that offense-first guy on the blue-line, whereas Lundkvist is more a 2-way defenseman like Fox. Both very useful in different scenarios.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
and we would be thrilled with those two in the pipeline imo. These two are beyond our expectations.

I'm sure Kakko and Laf will become very good players, but you almost wonder if it would have been better for the Rangers not to win the lottery both years so they would draft Zegras and Lundell. The center issue would have been resolved.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sure Kakko and Laf will become very good players, but you almost wonder if it would have been better for the Rangers not to win the lottery both years so they would draft Zegras and Lundell. The center issue would have been resolved.

Depth-wise, sure. But Lundell and Zegras aren't better than Lafrenière and Kakko. I still take the better player over the better fit positionally

Reactions: pblawr

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

then they have wing issues. Laf and Kakko should be better than Lundell and Zegras. Although those few who seemed to have a crush on Lundell may disagree.

Reactions: pblawr

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I am a huge Lundell fan, but I wouldn't take him over Lafrenière, ever.

i think he’s going to be a very good player. If Fla can hold that Panthers team together i think they will be a problem. Although i think the Rangers have a lot more depth defensively.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree with most of what you said.

I also have a feeling Lundkvist is very likely to be the one traded another possibility is Fox gets traded next season for a huge return if Lundkvist plays better than Fox did last season.

Jones's stock is also skyrocketing so he could potentially be traded too. Robertson is not only steady and consistent but also a lot bigger and of course more low key so he won't bring back a huge return.

As for trading Lindgren I don't really want to, but if you have to you do it, but the way to make him a bigger name and skyrocket his trade value is name him captain then next season he would be worth 1st rounder.

I love Lundkvist as a prospect but there is zero chance the Rangers move Fox and it’s unfair to hope for Lundkvist to play as good as Fox.

Fox is hitting ELITE territory these days. Not just offensively but all over the ice. He’s the guy you invest in as a core player and move other pieces around him. So unless something completely unexpected happens, he’s not going anywhere.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I love Lundkvist as a prospect but there is zero chance the Rangers move Fox and it’s unfair to hope for Lundkvist to play as good as Fox.

Fox is hitting ELITE territory these days. Not just offensively but all over the ice. He’s the guy you invest in as a core player and move other pieces around him. So unless something completely unexpected happens, he’s not going anywhere.
The NATIONAL and CANADIAN hockey media are talking about him as one of the 3-4 legit candidates for the Norris in his SECOND season...

...and people want to trade him?

FML

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The NATIONAL and CANADIAN hockey media are talking about him as one of the 3-4 legit candidates for the Norris in his SECOND season...

...and people want to trade him?

FML
In all fairness, BRF, look who brought it up.

Also, did I just really read that the Rangers would have been better off with Zegras & Lundell as opposed to Kakko & Lafreniere ?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

probably, but you never know. At Lundkvist's age Fox was still playing college hockey so if he keeps developing at that rate he will be better than Fox. Also there were plenty of Elite looking players that suddenly declined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad