Zachary Hyman

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Ok yes I’m a Habs fan but I come in peace (and we have enough of our own problems), Hyman is actually one of my favourite players for the Leafs (ok the only one I like apart from Marner). I see on Twitter however that fans are already being down on him if he doesn’t take a home town discount. Why should he? Like why should Marner have taken the discount? You’re fine with Matthews demanding the world, you’re fine with Tavares taking a chunk and Nylander (even when he wasn’t performing) Hyman is a underrated player that you need. Sports people have a limited period to make (obscene) amounts of money so they need to take the most amount of money in their short careers, it’s what we would all do if we were talented enough to be in that situation. Why are you dissing him already?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Ok yes I’m a Habs fan but I come in peace (and we have enough of our own problems), Hyman is actually one of my favourite players for the Leafs (ok the only one I like apart from Marner). I see on Twitter however that fans are already being down on him if he doesn’t take a home town discount. Why should he? Like why should Marner have taken the discount? You’re fine with Matthews demanding the world, you’re fine with Tavares taking a chunk and Nylander (even when he wasn’t performing) Hyman is a underrated player that you need. Sports people have a limited period to make (obscene) amounts of money so they need to take the most amount of money in their short careers, it’s what we would all do if we were talented enough to be in that situation. Why are you dissing him already?

There’s your problem.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, he played on a torn knee in the playoffs for us, so folks may think he'd sacrifice anything for the blue. It'd be nice if he took a discount but realistically there's no reason for him to given that our other guys held out for every penny.

Reactions: 17 Clark

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I don't know who's dissing him (I'm not on Twitter) but everyone here thinks very highly of him. I won't blame him if he wants his payday. I'm sure Matthews and Marner knew there would be casualties when they signed their rich deals. Those casualties may come in the form of Hyman or Nylander.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
His family comes from money and he's a Toronto kid. 1+1 assumes he'll give a discount. However it's just an assumption. I wouldn't mind paying him if he wanted. He's a guy who brings it every game. Offense or no offense. Then the way he's developed skill last few years also is very exciting.

With how team cap is setup people are hoping he takes a cut so he can stay. I think he will give us a deal, but that doesn't stop any other team from giving him his big deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His family comes from money and he's a Toronto kid. 1+1 assumes he'll give a discount. However it's just an assumption. I wouldn't mind paying him if he wanted. He's a guy who brings it every game. Offense or no offense. Then the way he's developed skill last few years also is very exciting.

With how team cap is setup people are hoping he takes a cut so he can stay. I think he will give us a deal, but that doesn't stop any other team from giving him his big deal.

At the very least, that Kerfoot money could be traded and we can give him some or all of it. I would prefer to pay him more over less time than give him more term though, I am worried about him breaking down in his early 30s.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
At the very least, that Kerfoot money could be traded and we can give him some or all of it. I would prefer to pay him more over less time than give him more term though, I am worried about him breaking down in his early 30s.
Same. Tbh I dont think he's going anywhere. Dubas will move someone else if push came to shove.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Most of Leaf world, didn't like him In fact, was hard to find anyone who actually appreciated him But, he scored a goal against Boston that was Darren Mcartyish, and has kept going

I am new to this board, but I do have a lot of very old, crusty Leaf fans and ex Leafs, and they think this guy is Babcock's masterpiece for the Leafs.

Yet, as much as he loves Toronto. I do think a GM out there, would overpay for him.

With good reason. He is a unique guy. He literally, positioned himself to be taken by the Leafs, when he was not all that polished.

Indicating, wow, this guy or people around him, had huge belief in him Cause you fool around with the NHl too much, you don't get a sniff

Hyman? Really important player. Better after coming back from grisly knee surgery. Who does that?

Going to be interesting. But I hear as many complaints about him as I do about Shapiro and Atkins these days.

He really could get an excited GM offering really big dollars It would be really sad to see a guy, from Toronto, who plays, this well, go.

I don't think, I have ever seen him play one lazy game. Heck, I think, McDavid took three off against us.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Didn't he request to be traded to Toronto when he was with Florida?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Past few games now as Matty has been limited with injury Zach has been far and away our best player ... funny how it goes how guys have their best years ever in a contract year ... but well deserved and you can see he is carrying team right now ... like Willy was last year many games leading team

Reactions: Teeder Keon

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone know why Hyman is injured again this playoff year ?

He seems to be injured every playoffs

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Must be his knee. Wonder how bad it is ?
Is it surgical ?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Edler got him pretty good. Same knee as last time, I believe. Clearly not healthy yet. Damn shame because he was our best player on the ice many times this season and now he's injured when we need him the most.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Edler got him pretty good. Same knee as last time, I believe. Clearly not healthy yet. Damn shame because he was our best player on the ice many times this season and now he's injured when we need him the most.
Injured Hyman + Playoff Marner + Matthews = ineffective.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
even a injured Hyman puts in the effort, the same can't be said for the rest of the core......excluding Spezza.

Reactions: Cleetus

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Well, he played on a torn knee in the playoffs for us, so folks may think he'd sacrifice anything for the blue. It'd be nice if he took a discount but realistically there's no reason for him to given that our other guys held out for every penny.
I completely agree why should he care when the big three didn’t and you can tell that’s working out for us in the playoffs at least

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Hyman is not part of the problem. If the leafs had more Hyman's they'd be winning more playoff games.

Agreed. The guy is a digger and gets his hands dirty. The Leafs could use a few more of that type of player both at forward and defense.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
wonder what the chance he re ups here.... there will be 31 other teams with huge interest in his services.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad