Prospect Info: Zachary Fucale

Status
Not open for further replies.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Paterson, and his "very good" rebound control, doesn't do anything better than Fucale - and that includes control rebounds. He'll look great at it in practice, and then you see him over-playing shots and dropping into that butterfly too automatically during actual games, and he loses a bit of control when he "shouldn't". These are the same things that affected Price's rebound control in the early days, too, mind you. And while Peressini is a good, hard-working goalie, he's still described as "raw" - and that includes HIS rebound control. You could have done worse than picking two Red Wing camp invitees, though.

As for Appleby, well, he's pretty huge which is good for absorbing pucks. He's good at a lot of stuff, actually. I might have to give you him, because we're kind of just seeing what he's capable of now that a goalie who set franchise records is out of his way. Passed over in two drafts (which is usually a red flag for things like fundamentals), but most recently has impressed at a couple of NHL camps and is tearing it up. Maybe his coordination and strength are catching up to his size. I bet if you watched video of him two years ago, and video of him today, you'd almost think you were watching two different goalies. We'll see how far the chip on his shoulder from getting ignored for so long takes him.

Comrie, again, I'm not going to give you that one. Good fundamentals, and probably at about the same level overall when it comes to preventing and dealing with rebounds, but nothing I've seen from him puts him ahead of Fucale in any of the "detail skills". I don't see how you could get such a glowing impression from anything he did this tournament to begin with, though.

Yet you still ignore Peressini when he was mentioned in my post. I still see all the names I have selected as better than Fucale.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
His team was playing like hot garbage too.
Yeah, that Halifax / Val D'Or series was a strange one. The Mooseheads D were outmatched against the VD forwards (Mantha in particular), and Dom Ducharme couldn't come up with any tactical adjustments to stem the bleeding of scoring chances. The Mooseheads made some terrible defensive plays in game 7 that led directly to all three goals against, and all Ducharme could think to do in the dying minutes was double & triple shift Drouin. VD by contrast knew they had strong goaltending and solid enough D that they could hold onto leads, which is exactly what they did in the third period of that game.

Fucale stunk in that series. No question. Game 3 was the worst I'd ever seen him play. He freely admits as much. Don't let the Mooseheads off the hook for their poor defensive play, and don't proclaim those seven games as the 'true Fucale' when there are also championship trophies & a gold medal in his trophy case.

ICE NIKE

Mar 20, 2014
Under your bed
Fucale

Fucale makes talk the oilers because they need a goaler and fucale seems a good goaler for the habs but with tokarsky and price fucale doesnt have place with the team so i think that if fucale is traded to the oilers for a player like eberle or yakupov will be a nice option

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Fucale makes talk the oilers because they need a goaler and fucale seems a good goaler for the habs but with tokarsky and price fucale doesnt have place with the team so i think that if fucale is traded to the oilers for a player like eberle or yakupov will be a nice option

Your vastly over rating Fucale. The goalie market has been in the dumpster for years. Plus he is probably 5 years from being an NHL starter if things go according to plan.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Your vastly over rating Fucale. The goalie market has been in the dumpster for years. Plus he is probably 5 years from being an NHL starter if things go according to plan.

Habs must get a big name for Fucale if not then keep him with the organization. Price is great but he has yet to win the cup. Let's hold on to a solid propect just a little longer.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Fucale getting bad rap on main board...but that's okay, Price got same rap 3 years ago.

90% of the people on the Main board, if not more, have probably never seen him play a game. They follow stats or follow the hype train, wherever it may go. Been that way for years.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
His stats & consistency have definitely declined since the Memorial Cup run of 2013, but he still hasn't played a pro game. Too early to give up on him. Let him play a couple of seasons in Hamilton and work with professional goalie coaches. Then let's see what we've got.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
When Habs drafted Fucale I believe it was on his tremendous will to win. Which Timmins cited first noticing outside a QMJHL dressing room while scouting Grigrenko. With Halifax down 3 games zip to Quebec city during 2012 playoffs. Before a Cinderella comeback against Roy and much stronger Quebec club.

Goalies can change quick, Hammond or Dubynk be examples. With his will to win, combined with Waite no telling how far Fucale can go. Look what Waite has done for Price?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
When Habs drafted Fucale I believe it was on his tremendous will to win. Which Timmins cited first noticing outside a QMJHL dressing room while scouting Grigrenko. With Halifax down 3 games zip to Quebec city during 2012 playoffs. Before a Cinderella comeback against Roy and much stronger Quebec club.

Goalies can change quick, Hammond or Dubynk be examples. With his will to win, combined with Waite no telling how far Fucale can go. Look what Waite has done for Price?

Waite has done wonders for Price, but much like everyone else.. People respond differently to teachers/bosses/coaches.

What's good for one guy isn't necessarily good for another guy.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Justin Pogge was a good goalie too.

Come on...you can come up with 1000 names for comparisons good or bad...Pogge means nothing just like Care Price if I compare junior success, he can go one way or another, it's all up to him and how he's surrounded.

Habs must get a big name for Fucale if not then keep him with the organization. Price is great but he has yet to win the cup. Let's hold on to a solid propect just a little longer.
Well, if they don't win a cup, it won't be because of Price and a lack of goaltending skill I can tell you that much

Last edited by a moderator:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Waite has done wonders for Price, but much like everyone else.. People respond differently to teachers/bosses/coaches.

What's good for one guy isn't necessarily good for another guy.

Habs must still be quite high on Fucale. Future Watch issue had him #3

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Shame Oilers didn't take Fucale instead of 2015 2nd :(

We drafted Fucale with a 2nd rounder that was close to a 1st rounder.

You now would rather have a 2nd rounder that will be close to a 3rd rounder instead of Fucale.

I guess you think it was a bad pick. I actually did at the time. Why use such a quality pick on a goalie, when we'll have Price for the next 10 years.

Better to have tried to nab a forward or d.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

You now would rather have a 2nd rounder that will be close to a 3rd rounder instead of Fucale.

I guess you think it was a bad pick. I actually did at the time. Why use such a quality pick on a goalie, when we'll have Price for the next 10 years.

Sounds like what a lot of people were saying back when we drafted Price while Théodore was in town.

I didn't like the pick at the time as I've never been a fan of the player, but he wasn't a bad pick.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Sounds like what a lot of people were saying back when we drafted Price while Théodore was in town.

I didn't like the pick at the time as I've never been a fan of the player, but he wasn't a bad pick.

Eh, aside from Price how many goalies are drafted high? Aside from Rask zero of the other "top 10".

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It was a value pick. Habs can probably flip him for a 1st rounder if they wanted.

I think the issue with Fucale is he played so many big games early in his Q career that he's lost a bit of the edge for regular season Q games. Will be interesting to see if he can crank it up for the playoffs and Memorial Cup like he did the WJHC.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
When we selected Fucale keep in mind he just won the memorial cup and he was highly rated while Price had an awful playoff vs the senators.

That and the habs had nobody in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad