Prospect Info: Zachary Fucale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wasn’t mad because we had Price already. We needed goalies in our system but Fucale had many question marks surrounding him. He played on one of the best junior team of his generation and for me he lacked composure required to be an NHLer.

And for Price yes I was mad but for different reasons. I wanted us to draft a center, either Brule or Kopitar. But you won’t see me complaining about the Price pick.

I agree with you on Price. I was not big on Brule back when but I did like Kopitar. Would of been considered a eyebrow raiser if we took Kopitar with the 5th pick though. Kopitar was taken at 11th. As for Fucale, I thought it was a decent pick back when cause it takes years for a goalie to be NHL ready and we possibly can flip him in a trade. He has been a major disappointment though.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Must be a pretty crappy feeling for Fucale, Lindgren allowing 6 goals in the first two periods wasn't even enough to get Fucale a shot in a meaningless 3rd period. Pretty much proves the Habs don't see him as an NHL option. Not that I think they're wrong, he's clearly the 5th string goalie right now. Guess it's a lesson in not using high 2nd round picks smallish goalies with mediocre results because they have a pedigree as a "winner" on a stacked junior team. In fairness it's not like there was tons of high end guys around him, Robert Hagg, Nic Petan, and Remi Elle were picked shortly after Fucale but they seem like OK bottom six/bottom pair guys at this point so it's not like Fucale got drafted instead of a core guy (like with Shea Theodore going a pick after McCarron).

I wonder how much longer Fucale stays with the Habs, got to wonder how much longer he'll be OK being the 1B in Laval or starting in Brampton before he decides to go to the DEL or something.

Reactions: Fixxer

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
By the way they are treating him if feel like they already decided that they won't be resigning him.

The fact that lindgren who they signed 2 years ago and was in the org for 3 years less than Fucale got starts before him already decided that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
By the way they are treating him if feel like they already decided that they won't be resigning him.

Price/Lindgren in the NHL

McNiven/Hawkey in the AHL
. One of these guys might play ECHL so they are playing games vs sitting. Best man gets the job.

Where does Fucale fit? As the AHL back-up? I wouldn't have a problem with him playing that role and to continue to try to prove himself worth something again. It's going to be a two way deal and a 1 year contract though.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
By the way they are treating him I feel like they already decided that they won't be resigning him.

The kid has never played in the NHL. It would have been nice to let him play last night. It would be something he could tell his kids he did. We should give him some games during this final stretch.

(Really, he's so bad it should ensure a loss, and we really need losses to have a decent shot at Dahlin and the best possible pick)

Reactions: Fixxer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Price/Lindgren in the NHL

McNiven/Hawkey in the AHL
. One of these guys might play ECHL so they are playing games vs sitting. Best man gets the job.

Where does Fucale fit? As the AHL back-up? I wouldn't have a problem with him playing that role and to continue to try to prove himself worth something again. It's going to be a two way deal and a 1 year contract though.

Hawkey should stay in the NCAA, he's in a great spot where he can start just about every game. Young team, well coached. That said I guess we'll see what he wants to do.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wouldn't be opposed to extending Fucale for 1 or 2 years. I can see Fucale and McNiven sharing the Laval net next year. Fucale's actually been good this year for the Rocket. Not to mention he's been a consummate pro with all the sending downs and call ups from Brampton to Laval to Montreal and up and down again.

Lindgren seems set to be Price's back up next year. I'd like to see Fucale and McNiven remain as the Laval net minders next year. And let Hawkey and Primeau keep developing in the NCAA.

Reactions: Fixxer and Fenris

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hawkey should stay in the NCAA, he's in a great spot where he can start just about every game. Young team, well coached. That said I guess we'll see what he wants to do.

He's 23. I think if he wants to make the NHL, he needs to turn pro and pay his dues in the AHL.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The kid has never played in the NHL. It would have been nice to let him play last night. It would be something he could tell his kids he did. We should give him some games during this final stretch.
Y'know, the other thing is, he is a local guy. You could see it on his face when he was drafted, that he was shocked & overjoyed to have been drafted by the Canadiens. These games down the stretch are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Give him a game, or at least a couple of periods in an already lost cause. Let him take a game-worn Canadiens jersey back to his home and show it to his kids someday. Make him a real member of the alumni.

Frig, if they could do it for John Scott, they can do it for Zach Fucale.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Y'know, the other thing is, he is a local guy. You could see it on his face when he was drafted, that he was shocked & overjoyed to have been drafted by the Canadiens. These games down the stretch are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Give him a game, or at least a couple of periods in an already lost cause. Let him take a game-worn Canadiens jersey back to his home and show it to his kids someday. Make him a real member of the alumni.

Frig, if they could do it for John Scott, they can do it for Zach Fucale.

True enough. But as CJ said in his PC after the game, his goal was to test Lindgren and his resilience. It was more about building Lindgren than it was about putting down Fucale. If Lindgren doesn't go through being lit up, he won't grow. That was the logic.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Fair enough. Hopefully Zach gets 20 minutes of action sometime between now & the end, all the same. I admit I've got a soft spot for him, living in Halifax and all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's 23. I think if he wants to make the NHL, he needs to turn pro and pay his dues in the AHL.

he missed almost 2 years of development time to injury and riding the bench. This is his age 22 season as he turned 23 a couple days ago. The good thing about the Habs goalie prospects is that there's no need what so ever to rush any of them. He could turn pro after playing 2 full years in the NCAA but I would rather he stay in the NCAA. Of course he could use the NCAA loophole as he's eligible if he wants to this summer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he missed almost 2 years of development time to injury and riding the bench. This is his age 22 season as he turned 23 a couple days ago. The good thing about the Habs goalie prospects is that there's no need what so ever to rush any of them. He could turn pro after playing 2 full years in the NCAA but I would rather he stay in the NCAA. Of course he could use the NCAA loophole as he's eligible if he wants to this summer.

I won't have a problem either way. But he has had 2 very good years in the NCAA and if he wants to become NHL ready, going through the AHL as a 23 year old might make that trip shorter vs another year in the NCAA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I won't have a problem either way. But he has had 2 very good years in the NCAA and if he wants to become NHL ready, going through the AHL as a 23 year old might make that trip shorter vs another year in the NCAA.

that doesn't make sense, why would playing in the AHL now make his trip to the NHL shorter when he can just play in the AHL the following year? Playing in the AHL now vs one more year in the NCAA shouldn't really impact his NHL chances, just needs to be a little more consistent. Besides I'm holding out hope that there will be a new coaching staff and development team in place in 2 years so would rather see him playing every game in the NCAA or just about vs playing behind a poorly coached, bad defensive team in Laval. I really like Hawkey and think he's got some solid upside if he can improve on his consistency although with Primeau killing it that's going to make things much tougher.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that doesn't make sense, why would playing in the AHL now make his trip to the NHL shorter when he can just play in the AHL the following year? Playing in the AHL now vs one more year in the NCAA shouldn't really impact his NHL chances, just needs to be a little more consistent. Besides I'm holding out hope that there will be a new coaching staff and development team in place in 2 years so would rather see him playing every game in the NCAA or just about vs playing behind a poorly coached, bad defensive team in Laval. I really like Hawkey and think he's got some solid upside if he can improve on his consistency although with Primeau killing it that's going to make things much tougher.

I think the AHL has players with better shots vs the NCAA. He will get tested more... that's what the AHL is for. How often does a player go from the NCAA to the NHL direct? The road is through the AHL and I think he is ready at the age of 23. If he wants to wait till age 24, all the power to him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair enough. Hopefully Zach gets 20 minutes of action sometime between now & the end, all the same. I admit I've got a soft spot for him, living in Halifax and all.

Same here. It must be tough for him to deal with. He had such a promising career back in Junior. I would like to see him get a few NHL games before the end of the year. He gets the NHL pay checks and also a chance to prove himself. That AHL roster is bad! Habs are nothing to brag about but I think he can put up better numbers like Lindgren has this year.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the AHL has players with better shots vs the NCAA. He will get tested more... that's what the AHL is for. How often does a player go from the NCAA to the NHL direct? The road is through the AHL and I think he is ready at the age of 23. If he wants to wait till age 24, all the power to him.

yes of course the road to the NHL is most likely through the AHL but what does it matter if it's next fall or the following? He's still going through the AHL either way just 12 months difference. I don't know what he wants to do just saying I would rather see him in the NCAA then playing for the tire fire that is Laval.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
yes of course the road to the NHL is most likely through the AHL but what does it matter if it's next fall or the following? He's still going through the AHL either way just 12 months difference. I don't know what he wants to do just saying I would rather see him in the NCAA then playing for the tire fire that is Laval.

Not saying it's a bad thing for Hawkey to play another year of NCAA. Just saying that making the move to the AHL at age 23 is also not a bad situation for him. I think he is ready. Question is, does he and his agent think he is ready?

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I'm thinking that if Fucale isn't resigned that the Habs will be looking at bringing in an experienced AHL goaltender/3rd stringer. A Dustin Tokarski type that could split time with McNiven (maybe letting McNiven get more games). With Carey Price's recent history of injuries, they may want someone somewhat NHL competent as a backup to Lindgren. Nothing against McNiven or Hawkey, I just don't think either of them are ready for the NHL just yet. Heck Fucale, isn't ready for the NHL, but he got the call.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Problem is that the only guys in our farm system who have a chance of playing meaningful minutes for us are the guys we draft in about 4 or 5 years from now.

It really sucks that the only position we were and are deep at is the net. This is why I was thinking that it could be a good thing to trade Price given that was our positional strength. It could turn out nobody turned into a starter, that was the risk, but it doesnt change that was our strength.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Fucale is now at 9-4. One more win than Lindgren who played 11 games more than Fucale, all that being 18 months younger. Still don't get the hate Fucale is getting. Not his fault if he was picked in the early second round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
4 of Fucale's 9 wins have come against the worst 2 teams in the AHL but I'm glad he's doing better this year. Not sure why the Habs didn't feel the need to bring him in that last game or keep him up to give him a start let alone why they felt the need to keep sending him to the ECHL. Of course they wanted him to get ice time but not sure why they went with the 3 goalie system and not just kept McNiven in the ECHL all year to play a ton even if their defense is terrible as it's not like Laval's is any good. Only 3 teams in the AHL have a worse winning %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad