Prospect Info: Zachary Fucale

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I thought he was behind Jarry. Real issue is that he was worse after he was drafted or stagnated at best. Even in the Spengler cup that gave some people hope, that goal he gave up early in the championship game was classic Fucale.

I'm pretty sure he was the top ranked goalie in his draft year. I think most were expecting he would go somewhere in the late first round.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm pretty sure he was the top ranked goalie in his draft year. I think most were expecting he would go somewhere in the late first round.

Yes he was. According to NHL Central Scouting, Fucale was the highest ranked goalie followed by Eric Comrie and Tristan Jarry. It's normal Fucale was the highest rated, he had just come off from winning the Memorial Cup with the Halifax Mooseheads.

Meanwhile, DLR was the 7th highest ranked European prospect and Lehkonen was 9th.

All three of these players were selected in the 2nd Round in 2013.

I even looked at mynhldraft.com and looked at the different final rankings according to different scouts (TSN, McKeen's, Future Consideration, etc.) and a number of them had De La Rose going late in the 1st round, some had Lehkonen going in the late 20s, and one or two had Fucale going in the 1st. None of them listed McCarron in their top-30 ranked draft picks.

Jul 6, 2016
Yes he was. According to NHL Central Scouting, Fucale was the highest ranked goalie followed by Eric Comrie and Tristan Jarry. It's normal Fucale was the highest rated, he had just come off from winning the Memorial Cup with the Halifax Mooseheads.

Meanwhile, DLR was the 7th highest ranked European prospect and Lehkonen was 9th.

I even looked at mynhldraft.com and looked at the different final rankings according to different scouts (TSN, McKeen's, Future Consideration, etc.) and a number of them had De La Rose going late in the 1st round, some had Lehkonen going in the late 20s, and one or two had Fucale going in the 1st. None of them listed McCarron in their top-30 ranked draft picks.

Only reason he was picked in the 1st round: his 6'6 body. And Habs added super Connor Crisp in the 4th round instead of grabbing Duclair.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

I remember either reading or hearing the reason the Habs took McCarron at 25 was because they didn't think he'd be available at their first pick in the second round. Apparently, Anaheim and another team were interested in him. He was ranked in the 30s on the TSN rankings by Bobby Mac. Was he a reach? Yeah, but it is what it is. Looking back there were some better options like Shea Theodore.

Jul 6, 2016
I remember either reading or hearing the reason the Habs took McCarron at 25 was because they didn't think he'd be available at their first pick in the second round. Apparently, Anaheim and another team were interested in him. He was ranked in the 30s on the TSN rankings by Bobby Mac. Was he a reach? Yeah, but it is what it is. Looking back there were some better options like Shea Theodore.

Even Ryan Hartman could had done the job.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fucale put up good numbers in the ECHL playoffs, hopefully he can build off that for next year. But he must improve his rebound control and consistency. In the first 7 games of the playoffs he allowed more then 2 goals just once and overall let in just 11 goals in that span. In the next 4 games he let in 4 or more every game but 1, giving up 14 in that span.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Fucale put up good numbers in the ECHL playoffs, hopefully he can build off that for next year. But he must improve his rebound control and consistency. In the first 7 games of the playoffs he allowed more then 2 goals just once and overall let in just 11 goals in that span. In the next 4 games he let in 4 or more every game but 1, giving up 14 in that span.
Aren't rebound control and consistency the same weak points he has since he was drafted?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does Waite even work closely with the farm goalies? :dunno:

not sure because they have a goalie coach in the AHL. Vincent Riendeau was a goaltending consultant in Hamilton when they had Tok and Condon but he was promoted to assistant GM but I assume he still works with the AHL goalies. They have Marco Marciano as the assistant goalie coach with the IceCaps, but i don't know about the ECHL goalies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They have one of the best goalie coach in the NHL. Maybe the kid cannot just make the next step ?

Does Waite even work closely with the farm goalies? :dunno:

He doesn't, except at camps.

At the AHL level you have:

Vincent Riendeau
Assistant General Manager/Goaltending Consultant
Goaltending coaching experience
2001-2002 NHL Toronto Maple Leafs Goaltending Consultant
2004-2008 QMJHL Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Goaltending coach
2005-2007 DEL Adler Mannheim Goaltending coach
2008-2009 DEL Kassel Huskies Goaltending coach
2009-2010 DEL Adler Mannheim Goaltending coach
2010-2014 DEL Hamburg Freezers Goaltending coach
2012-2015 AHL Hamilton Bulldogs Goaltending coach
2015-present AHL St. John's IceCaps Goaltending coach

He also owns a goaltending school with summer camps in several Quebec areas, and runs a week of goaltending hockey school at the North American Hockey Academy, in Vermont.

Marco Marciano
Video Coach/Assistant Goalie Coach
Goaltending coaching experience
2000-2003 QMAAA Laval Régents Goaltending Coach
2003-2005 QMJHL Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Assistant Goaltending Coach
2004-2005 NSMMHL Cape Breton Tradesmen Goaltending Coach
2006-2008 QMHJL Drummondville Voltigeurs Goaltending Coach
2006-2007 QMAAA Collège Antoine-Girouard Gaulois Goaltending Coach
2008-2010 Various international competition (Men and Women hockey)
2010-2011 QMJHL Montreal Juniors Goaltending Coach
2011-2013 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand Armada Goaltending Coach
2015-present AHL St. John's IceCaps Assistant Goaltending coach

At the ECHL level it's:
Bujar Amidovski
Goaltending Coach
16 years experience as a goaltending instructor
???-??? OJPHL Streetsville Derbys and Vaughn Vipers Goalie coach
???-present ECHL Brampton Beast Goalie coach

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Does this mean Price is done for season?

It means Niemi can't go for tomorrow, not even as a back up. Price is supposed to join the team while they're on the road. Still unsure if he'll play as traveling is a major step in concussion recovery, and they'll see how he'll feel afterwards.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Really hoping to see Fucale get a start if Price or Niemi can't go for am extended amount of time. There's nothing to lose anymore and it would be rewarding to see him start at least once for the team he grew up cheering for.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Really hoping to see Fucale get a start if Price or Niemi can't go for am extended amount of time. There's nothing to lose anymore and it would be rewarding to see him start at least once for the team he grew up cheering for.

Fucale in net is the second best thing for the tank.

The clear best is Bergevin in the GM role. As it looks like he won't be fired in the off season, the tank for the 2019 draft couldn't be off to a better start.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Smells like tanking season.

Fucale would be a great tank lieutenant. Not intentionally of course, it's just that he has the ability to be kind of putrid you can count upon at times like these. :sarcasm:

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start or two. Might as well see if he is worth qualifying or if the Habs should be looking at someone different to help McNiven in Laval next year and be a 3rd stringer for the Habs (I doubt McNiven will be ready for 3rd string duty next year, then again I doubt Fucale is either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->