Prospect Info: Zach Yuen to re-enter draft - didn't get drafted, now UFA

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
It's like this... :rolleyes: :sarcasm:

Mid-round picks are very overrated.

Why bother drafting outside of the 3rd round then? Trade all those picks for assets if that's the case and stop pretending that you're trying to build through the draft.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Why bother drafting outside of the 3rd round then? Trade all those picks for assets if that's the case and stop trying to build through the draft.

Well because once in awhile you get a good prospect like Lowry or later. Just because we haven't picked multiple guys in the later rounds that are looking very good doesn't mean we won't still find guys.

Also, just because some other guys think the kid has good potential doesn't mean Chevy does. It's a difference of opinion. It's still pretty early in Chevy's drafting reign in Winnipeg.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Why bother drafting outside of the 3rd round then? Trade all those picks for assets if that's the case and stop trying to build through the draft.

A team of player evaluators who have watched his every move for the last two years decided that this 4th round pick from two years ago wasn't going to contribute to the success of the organization so they decided not to invest their resources in him. This happens with every freaking team every freaking year.

Zach Yuen and this story is of such little importance in the grand scheme of the organization that this thread and all the whining herein is beyond laughable.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
A team of player evaluators who have watched his every move for the last two years decided that this 4th round pick from two years ago wasn't going to contribute to the success of the organization so they decided not to invest their resources in him. This happens with every freaking team every freaking year.

Zach Yuen and this story is of such little importance in the grand scheme of the organization that this thread and all the whining herein is beyond laughable.

I love it when people who dare to have the audacity to question our beloved general manager and his staff are called whiners. How dare anyone question such great leadership who dine on the waiver wire? Maybe that should be how they label their team building instead of "building through the draft"...

Out of curiousity, how many of those teams traded up to get the guy who they later let go? And how many of those teams we're much much much closer to the 50-contract limit then the Jets currently are?

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well because once in awhile you get a good prospect like Lowry or later. Just because we haven't picked multiple guys in the later rounds that are looking very good doesn't mean we won't still find guys.

Also, just because some other guys think the kid has good potential doesn't mean Chevy does. It's a difference of opinion. It's still pretty early in Chevy's drafting reign in Winnipeg.
Differences of opinions are all fine and dandy. Let's just hope Chevy's opinion is a good one.

As you say we are early into Chevy's drafting reign and Chevy has bucked conventional wisdom a handful of times. He did it once with Scheifele and again with Yuen and we haven't seen the fruits of either deal.

Bucking conventional wisdom without a track record of being beyond conventional wisdom will ALWAYS raise eyebrows. It is what it is.

Nobody knows what the future holds. Nobody knows if Chevy was right. I hope he was, because I want him to be the best GM in the league. That doesn't make it so and it doesn't make wondering wrong.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I love it when people who dare to have the audacity to question our beloved general manager and his staff are called whiners. How dare anyone question such great leadership who dine on the waiver wire? Maybe that should be how they label their team building instead of "building through the draft"...

Out of curiousity, how many of those teams traded up to get the guy who they later let go? And how many of those teams we're much much much closer to the 50-contract limit then the Jets currently are?

I hope you get some sleep tonight knowing somebody else out there is going to take Zach Yuen in the fifth or sixth round so they can waste money and resources trying to develop in the AHL for a couple of years and then see him bounce around the ECHL or European leagues until he's 30. I'll sleep fine.

As a former Isles fan, this situation reminds me so much of this equally meaningless event: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=384985

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
As Truck said already, GMs get rid of prospects all the time, which is mostly when either a) they are close to 50 limit or b) they prospect has no value to the organization.

Obviously Chevy doesn't think Yuen has any value any more.

Meh. I disagree but meh.
IMO I don't agree in it being wise but that's just an opinion.
It's not because I thought of Yuen as a world beater or anything, as he's tiers and tiers away from a Trouba or the likes.

Just because a combo of:
* we're no where near 50
* any newly drafted guys won't be pushing that limit up anytime soon
* Yuen is better than other LHD in our system at the same point in developmental timeline, depending on your view on Melchiori vs Yuen
* even a player who doesn't reach the NHL but helps the farm team is an asset, and our farm needs lots of help
* it's extremely low risk to sign an ELC with average costs a year being about the same as 1 NHL game of Olli Jokinen and no hit to the cap
* most third party scouts think he still has made solid strides and low risk guy, and I agree from my 30-odd viewings of him this season (for the AIH prospect tracker)

But -- again --, if Chevy doesn't think Yuen is even good enough to help out the AHL team, then Yuen isn't worth it. While I disagree and think Yuen is worth it, he was still an incredibly small cog in a much larger machine. Not whining at all, just differences in opinions. :)

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I hope you get some sleep tonight knowing somebody else out there is going to take Zach Yuen in the fifth or sixth round so they can waste money and resources trying to develop in the AHL for a couple of years and then see him bounce around the ECHL or European leagues until he's 30. I'll sleep fine.

As a former Isles fan, this situation reminds me so much of this equally meaningless event: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=384985

Ok ok ......you don't have to use a hammer to kill a fly Le Goalie ;):sarcasm:

TNSE is in a much better spot than me to make this evaluation and they have more qualified people managing the process. A simple one liner by Scott Brown would have been appreciated since they aren't exactly protecting the launch codes with this information but I guess not every fan follows the team and prospects as close as those on HFBoards.

I wish Zach well.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
As Truck said already, GMs get rid of prospects all the time, which is mostly when either a) they are close to 50 limit or b) they prospect has no value to the organization.

Obviously Chevy doesn't think Yuen has any value any more.

Meh. I disagree but meh.
IMO I don't agree in it being wise but that's just an opinion.
It's not because I thought of Yuen as a world beater or anything, as he's tiers and tiers away from a Trouba or the likes.

Just because a combo of:
* we're no where near 50
* any newly drafted guys won't be pushing that limit up anytime soon
* Yuen is better than other LHD in our system at the same point in developmental timeline, depending on your view on Melchiori vs Yuen
* even a player who doesn't reach the NHL but helps the farm team is an asset, and our farm needs lots of help
* it's extremely low risk to sign an ELC with average costs a year being about the same as 1 NHL game of Olli Jokinen and no hit to the cap
* most third party scouts think he still has made solid strides and low risk guy, and I agree from my 30-odd viewings of him this season (for the AIH prospect tracker)

But -- again --, if Chevy doesn't think Yuen is even good enough to help out the AHL team, then Yuen isn't worth it. While I disagree and think Yuen is worth it, he was still an incredibly small cog in a much larger machine. Not whining at all, just differences in opinions. :)

Really good post Garret. For me the jury is still out on Chevy, but is it not plausible that the org (TNSE) did not see Zach making it with the Jets in the NHL, and, instead of "signing him to help out the AHL team", they did the kid a favor and gave him a chance with another org? What I am suggesting is that it is possible that Zach is hell bent on being an NHLer - they don't see it - and gave the kid a chance to try elsewhere (rather than just signing him for the Ice Caps).

I would like to think that they are trying to be good people and a solid organization, and that if someone is not a fit, then they are not afraid to admit a mistake and treat these kids like people - not just inventory assets. Maybe I am just naive...who knows ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's a 4th round pick. Not every pick works out. Get that in your head first. You can call it bad asset management all you want, but a couple of mid round picks that don't work out is nothing to cry about.

That is exactly how organizations continually waste draft picks and are devoid of depth while others that consistently draft in lower positions have good organizational depth with success at all levels.

I'm not saying that SPECIFICALLY it was the wrong choice not to sign Yuen (keeping in mind that we still don't know WHY he wasn't signed). What I am saying is your above statement is terribly flawed.

If you continually keep discounting and pissing away your lower round picks you are robbing yourself of crucial organizational depth. Many, MANY great and very useful NHL'ers have been developed at these draft positions. Again, look at the Red Wings if you want proof.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That is exactly how organizations continually waste draft picks and are devoid of depth while others that consistently draft in lower positions have good organizational depth with success at all levels.

I'm not saying that SPECIFICALLY it was the wrong choice not to sign Yuen (keeping in mind that we still don't know WHY he wasn't signed). What I am saying is your above statement is terribly flawed.

If you continually keep discounting and pissing away your lower round picks you are robbing yourself of crucial organizational depth. Many, MANY great and very useful NHL'ers have been developed at these draft positions. Again, look at the Red Wings if you want proof.

We do now. Chevy said Yuen didn't progress with expectations.

White Out 403*

So what, Yuen was a bust. Look at Trouba and Lowry. It's still way too early to judge the Jets drafting system.

edit: it is very troubling though that we burned 2 picks on this guy.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Surely you understand that this is about more than Zach Yuen, no?

It's about development philosophy and asset management. When an org makes a move that looks to be wasteful a good fan base should question it. When the org doesn't provide an explanation then they are opening themselves up to criticism and speculation.

As for what the org should or shouldn't explain to their fans? IMO it's a delicate balance between protecting the integrity of the inner workings of the team, and the fact that sport is an entertainment business.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We do now. Chevy said Yuen didn't progress with expectations.

Haha ah, when did that happen? Sorry, I've been pretty busy the past few days.

In that case, I guess you have to give the org. the benefit of the doubt. I still don't personally agree with that choice considering where we are with contracts but maybe they have seen something critically flawed with Yuen's game that will prevent him from ever being an NHL player.

We tend to get super excited with players in Junior here on HF. Players that will never ever be good enough to play in the NHL. Look at the way we squawk about Lowry? (not saying Lowry won't be good or great, just saying its WAY too early to be plugging him into an NHL lineup)

PS even with this revelation from Chevy it doesn't change the spirit of my post to Duke wrt the way a team develops it's draft picks.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Haha ah, when did that happen? Sorry, I've been pretty busy the past few days.

In that case, I guess you have to give the org. the benefit of the doubt. I still don't personally agree with that choice considering where we are with contracts but maybe they have seen something critically flawed with Yuen's game that will prevent him from ever being an NHL player.

We tend to get super excited with players in Junior here on HF. Players that will never ever be good enough to play in the NHL. Look at the way we squawk about Lowry? (not saying Lowry won't be good or great, just saying its WAY too early to be plugging him into an NHL lineup)

PS even with this revelation from Chevy it doesn't change the spirit of my post to Duke wrt the way a team develops it's draft picks.

Oh no I agree with you.
He did it on a radio interview (according to PS21)

EDIT: (not wanting to spam by making new post)
hahaha I know... PS21 is a bit untrustworthy ;)

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know if I trust that PS21 :skeptic::loony::P

Ouch......you must be talking to my wife Brogosian ;)

On Friday's Rona round table Chevy was being interviewd and Hnidy asked about Yuen and Chevy politely answered the Jets decided to move on and he made it sound like Zach was not progressing the way they had hoped.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh no I agree with you.
He did it on a radio interview (according to PS21)

EDIT: (not wanting to spam by making new post)
hahaha I know... PS21 is a bit untrustworthy ;)

Et tu Brute :sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Since 1999, Matthew Lombardi is the only 4th round or later draft pick to go unsigned and still have a career in the NHL.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/6/3/1498138/getting-drafted-for-a-second-time

Not sure I agree with the decision, especially in light of having traded up to draft him, but it's a decision that will likely amount to nothing.

Your link must be outdated.

Matt Moulson and Jake Muzzin are two guys off the top of my head I can name that went unsigned and later went on to an NHL career. Frederik Andersen is looking damn fine with ANA's farm team as well, should be in NHL next year or year after. Could be more, I'd have to check into it.

EDIT: Your link only includes players who actually got re-drafted I see, that's part of the reason.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What pi$$es me off about this is that Chevy has yet to address the public with a proper explanation. If you look at my posting history you'll see that I'm far from a Chevy hater like many here but this is easily his worst decision as a GM. Letting prominsing propects walk like this is a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying that Yuen is the next Scott Niedermayer but he was a promising prospect that we lost for nothing which is a shame for an org that is trying to build through the draft.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

We have to remember that Chevy has only had two drafts and we're still not sure how the first one will turn out in the end.

I also don't think my statement is terribly flawed with saying it wasn't bad asset management. Not every move we make with regards to drafting will work out and if no one from that first draft works out, we could still hit the jackpot with Scheif and Lowry. If those two develop the way you hope then that's a successful draft in my eyes. And last year's draft is looking even a little better.

I would Nashville, and maybe even Buffalo, is a much better model then Detroit. It's not just the drafting they're very good at, but their player development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad