King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
opEoj.gif

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
For an organization with such shallow prospect depth, this confuses and disappoints me. I'm curious to see why we did not sign Yuen.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I can understand maybe they soured on the guy, or they just couldn't get him signed. But would it hurt to flip him for a 5th or something? Everyone is saying he'll go 3rd round or so, that means he had trade value.

Edit:

Another factor is the Raanta sweepstakes. Bad time management on Chevys part?

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For an organization with such shallow prospect depth, this confuses and disappoints me. I'm curious to see why we did not sign Yuen.

I am not happy at this point but until I hear what the reason is on this topic I will wait and stew.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
One theory, and this is probably the most obvious yet no one seems to think it's possible, is that they didn't see enough potential in Yuen and with D being our strong area, we can afford to pass on one prospect. We also have quite a few early round picks this year that we might use on a couple of defensemen that could help bolster us going forward. Just some thinking.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
One theory, and this is probably the most obvious yet no one seems to think it's possible, is that they didn't see enough potential in Yuen and with D being our strong area, we can afford to pass on one prospect. We also have quite a few early round picks this year that we might use on a couple of defensemen that could help bolster us going forward. Just some thinking.

Yet again a lot of experts are saying he will be picked again, possibly 3rd round or so. If what you're saying is true, why didn't we flip him for a pick? There's simply no logical explanation.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

Agree with this thinking. If they felt he was never going to progress into an NHL regular, then why clog a spot? I will wait till I see Yuen in an NHL game before I lose too much sleep on this

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
There could be any myriad of reasons as to why he wasn't signed, including scenarios like a recent undisclosed injury or perhaps the player no longer wants to play hockey for a living. No blame to be assigned under those conditions. Time passes, things change, c'est la vie.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yet again a lot of experts are saying he will be picked again, possibly 3rd round or so. If what you're saying is true, why didn't we flip him for a pick? There's simply no logical explanation.

No, there is nothing logical about what I posted whatsoever. It couldn't possibly be true. TNSE is completely missing out on a bonafide NHLer. Just because you don't understand why something happened doesn't mean it's illogical.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

There are a couple of logical potential reasons...maybe he didnt want to sign. Maybe they didn't offer enough? I don't think you sit down with people you knowingly don't want, convince them to sign with you, and then "flip" them...I wouldn't operate my team that way

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You can flip them without signing. Usually when a prospect like this isn't signed it's because of the 50 contract limit, but that isn't the issue.

The only thing that makes sense to me is our scouting staff has completely soured on him, and he was offered around the league but nobody took him. The "experts" are wrong and he won't be picked again.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Issue with this is he looks to be one of the stronger members of our LHD...

After Enstrom we pretty much have under contract or RFA:
Stuart
Kulda
Melchiori
O`Neill
Chiarot
Sol

We know Stuart is as good as he'll get as a 3rd pair D.
Kulda has promise but may never return as a Jet.
Melchiori is pretty much the only contest against Yuen after this, barring any major developments from the next three.

*Usually* guys get dropped for one of two reasons:
1) Team has soured to prospect.
2) Contract # space.

Neither of these *seem* like they should be the reason, at least with decent judgement, since Yuen had a better junior career and final year than Melchiori, Chiarot, and Sol...

Or...
3) Something is up.

Whether it's an office issue, wanting a diff organization, etc... something doesn't seem right and it will likely stay beyond our knowledge.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can understand maybe they soured on the guy, or they just couldn't get him signed. But would it hurt to flip him for a 5th or something? Everyone is saying he'll go 3rd round or so, that means he had trade value.

Edit:

Another factor is the Raanta sweepstakes. Bad time management on Chevys part?

I doubt Chevy is directly involved in these signings, it most likely is one of the Assistant GM's that has been handling the prospect signings. Either way I'm pretty surprised that they didn't lock him up. I however wont lose much sleep over it, we have plenty of bottom pairing defenseman or prospects that project to that role.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm kind of ambivalent about this. I don't like seeing prospects walk away without knowing the reason, but if TNSE signed Brassard, I'm certain that they attempted to extend the same to Yuen. As someone said, contract limits weren't the problem here, so the only thing I can logically see is his refusal to sign here. Whatever extenuating circumstances remain will likely be a TNSE secret. I won't lose any sleep over this, though. *shrugs*

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That makes zero sense, though. You never let prospects go for nothing unless you are up against a roster/ contract limit. Doesn't matter how many D prospects you have, you don't know who is going to develop and who won't. Besides, even if you have too many, you can use them as currency to help you get some help in a weaker area.

Something strange is afoot, and I hope we find out what it is. If they just let him walk I will be pretty surprised and frankly disappointed.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That makes zero sense, though. You never let prospects go for nothing unless you are up against a roster/ contract limit. Doesn't matter how many D prospects you have, you don't know who is going to develop and who won't. Besides, even if you have too many, you can use them as currency to help you get some help in a weaker area.

Something strange is afoot, and I hope we find out what it is. If they just let him walk I will be pretty surprised and frankly disappointed.

If one team is not willing to sign him to his ELC, there's a chance no other team would want him either. Or at least not pay a pick for him. It makes plenty of sense. I don't know why some of you think something like this is so impossible. :shakehead

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I'm going to take that projection with a grain of salt. Can't remember the last time a player re-entered the draft and got picked higher than he originally was.

If he does go in the 3rd, then Chevy has absolutely blundered here. Only reasonable excuse would be that he refused to sign with the Jets, which would be a strange move from a 4th rounder.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
I don't think the argument is whether he's good or not. Multiple perspectives reported he's a good player, no offensive dynamo but certainly a quality asset. Specific to the Jets I would think he's above Sol and Chiarot and we need prospects to develop for if not next season then for 2014-15 for sure.

I wonder if decision was maybe tactical or personal. If tactical but the fact he's above Sol and Chiarot would suggest he's needed in the mix on the farm. If personal maybe he didn't want to play in the ECHL if they shuttled guys. Or maybe he reads Lawless online and balked and coming to Winnipeg.

Always thought Sutter, not Yuen, would be the WHL guy re-entering the draft at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->