Waived: Zach Smith

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That's true. But if he was hitting LTIR, why waive him? I dunno.
He might think he can still play and him clearing waivers proves to him that nobody wants him for free? Could be mutual contract termination if Smith’s an idiot and is willing to play for a fraction of what he’s slated to make not playing?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don’t think so, you can just go over the cap by 10%. I think. I don’t know the rules backwards and forwards like I did when I was younger.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It ties into the 10% cushion. Offseason LTIR is an actual thing. I remember arguing with some assclown from the main boards about this a couple years ago. Forget who it was pertaining to, though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Obviously I hope he gets healthy, but he’s simply not a good hockey player and brings nothing of value to the team.

needle

Apr 30, 2012

So the Blackhawks can bury $1.075M, making him only count $2.175M against the cap in Rockford. If he was injured, I don't think they'd be waiving him. Best case is he pulls a Rundblad and mutually terminates his contract. Buying him out would just spread the hit over more years.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
So the Blackhawks can bury $1.075M, making him only count $2.175M against the cap in Rockford. If he was injured, I don't think they'd be waiving him. Best case is he pulls a Rundblad and mutually terminates his contract. Buying him out would just spread the hit over more years.

This is the last year of his contract so the buyout window has passed. No reason to terminate as he won't get more than 3 million from another team. Hang out this year for a few months and then he hits FA over the summer. Like he's a fourth liner who makes more than Strome. Enjoy the paycheque because in the post pandemic he won't get another like it.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
This is the last year of his contract so the buyout window has passed. No reason to terminate as he won't get more than 3 million from another team. Hang out this year for a few months and then he hits FA over the summer. Like he's a fourth liner who makes more than Strome. Enjoy the paycheque because in the post pandemic he won't get another like it.

I didn't know that about buyouts, thanks.

Interesting situation with Smith. Agent says he's healthy, player says he's healthy, but wasn't invited to camp because the Hawks wanted to look at the young guys. Then his back is a problem again all of the sudden, same as last year. I don't like how IR can be used fraudulently. Make him go down to Rockford if he wants to get paid.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I didn't know that about buyouts, thanks.

Interesting situation with Smith. Agent says he's healthy, player says he's healthy, but wasn't invited to camp because the Hawks wanted to look at the young guys. Then his back is a problem again all of the sudden, same as last year. I don't like how IR can be used fraudulently. Make him go down to Rockford if he wants to get paid.

He was at camp for sure at least at the beginning because they took his photo. So he was in Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00