Confirmed with Link: Zach Sill re-signs with Pittsburgh (1 Year/$550k/ 2-Way Deal)

Michael8771*

I heard several sound bites of Sill while getting a cup of coffee here, and TBH he seemed pretty annoying. It's one thing to yap at the opposition, it's another to yap yap yap from the bench. I hate rah rah guys like that. He's a 4th liner, sorry, but if I'm a core member of this team I'd find that behavior juvenile and tiresome.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I heard several sound bites of Sill while getting a cup of coffee here, and TBH he seemed pretty annoying. It's one thing to yap at the opposition, it's another to yap yap yap from the bench. I hate rah rah guys like that. He's a 4th liner, sorry, but if I'm a core member of this team I'd find that behavior juvenile and tiresome.

I get the same impression from him. He seems excited just being in the lineup, but takes things so far, he looks pathetic. I think he would control himself more if he got used to being in the NHL, but right now, he's not the type of guy the Pens need in the locker room trying to stay competitive.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Wow that is just an awful post. From playing the game, it's good to be behind your teammates all game. If you aren't playing, be their eyes when they can't see. Chirp and tell them what's going on.

It's far from juvenile. :shakehead

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sill's advanced stats look abysmal. I hope he can improve on them if given a chance otherwise he's just going to be Tanner Glass 2.0

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wow that is just an awful post. From playing the game, it's good to be behind your teammates all game. If you aren't playing, be their eyes when they can't see. Chirp and tell them what's going on.

Agreed.

The sort of guy that never shuts up from the bench can be worthwhile in a lot of ways including letting the puck carrier know what's up in his blind spot, but there's even more ways than just that.

Hockey's not really a gentlemanly sport, imo. More communication is always better than less, even if that communication is just some guy telling Phaneuf he's a joke for 60 minutes.

You never know; Dion might stop thinking about what he's supposed to be doing and get preoccupied with the 8 game rook who won't stop chirping him. If it doesn't work out that way, what have you lost? What do the Penguins care if the Leafs think one of their fourth line wings is juvenile?

Michael8771*

Of course you think it's an awful post, not surprised in the least. I'd say your rebuttal was awful, to each his own.

I'm telling you that guys like Sid or Geno don't need this motormouth shouting instructions at them. And it would be annoying to many players. I played college hockey in my younger years at a division one school. We had a 4th line curtain jerker like that for half a season. He only lasted half a season because the majority of us couldn't stand him or his rah rah attitude. And even our coach asked him to scale it back. It's one thing to pick your spots and give your team mates a heads up, we all do that or should do that. Support your team mates, stick up for them and so forth. But THAT guy Sill, he takes it to an extreme. After a while your team mates will either tune you out, not take you seriously or shun you altogether. It was annoying at the college level, I can only imagine how bad it would be in the NHL.

Michael8771*

I get the same impression from him. He seems excited just being in the lineup, but takes things so far, he looks pathetic. I think he would control himself more if he got used to being in the NHL, but right now, he's not the type of guy the Pens need in the locker room trying to stay competitive.
Precisely! You don't go into a locker room when you're the lowest on the proverbial totem pole and act like that. It's bad enough if stars act obnoxious, but when bottom of the barrel guys do it, well, it's just sad.

He's the type of guy who will score a goal in an exhibition game or scrimmage and celebrate it as if he just one the stanley cup. Again, it's ok to be excited and enjoy success, but let the occasion or situation merit it first.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I disagree with this so much.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

It happens a lot more than you think.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I love that he's a chirper. We need more of that, it increases morale among the team. One or two yappers and one or two calm veterans and you play the right way when the games get hard. The only thing I don't like is Sill's play with the puck, which is horribad.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I didn't hear Sill shouting instructions to Sid or Geno. He wasn't even sitting anywhere near them. All he did was taunt the opponent's captain and later back up his talk with his fists. I'll take the 4th liner who fires up his teammates and annoys the opposition over the 4th liner who just a sandbag on the ice and the bench and is only vocal when he's bullying rookies and ratting out locker room stuff to the coach over their morning coffee. Sill has virtually zero skill but he brings energy. And he'll finetune his agitating beyond his 8th career game.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I didn't hear Sill shouting instructions to Sid or Geno. He wasn't even sitting anywhere near them. All he did was taunt the opponent's captain and later back up his talk with his fists. I'll take the 4th liner who fires up his teammates and annoys the opposition over the 4th liner who just a sandbag on the ice and the bench and is only vocal when he's bullying rookies and ratting out locker room stuff to the coach over their morning coffee. Sill has virtually zero skill but he brings energy. And he'll finetune his agitating beyond his 8th career game.

Why do we want a guy in the lineup who has virtually zero skill? That's what Tanner Glass was.

Sill is fine as an energy guy call-up like Harry Z was, but I want no part of him being a lineup regular unless he can figure out how to do stuff other than just hit and yap.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Why do we want a guy in the lineup who has virtually zero skill? That's what Tanner Glass was.

Sill is fine as an energy guy call-up like Harry Z was, but I want no part of him being a lineup regular unless he can figure out how to do stuff other than just hit and yap.

Glass and Sill aren't anything alike. Sill can skate, agitate, bring energy, and his hits actually affect the play. He's a perfect 13th forward. I'm not saying I want him in the lineup for 82 games, but he serves a purpose and brings elements that this team has lacked for awhile. He brings much, much more to the table than Glass or Adams.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Nature of the salary cap is such that you'll almost never have the depth to have skilled guys that score more than they give up as 12th or 13th forward. And even if you did, they'll never get enough ice time to get in a groove.

So you need to find guys that do other things for those spots.

The issue with Glass and Adams wasn't that they had zero skill; it was that they were too friggin slow to forecheck effectively or close ground on a puck carrier.

I'm not saying Sill will ever be an every game player, but he doesn't have either of those problems.

Edit:

Glass and Sill aren't anything alike. Sill can skate, agitate, bring energy, and his hits actually affect the play. He's a perfect 13th forward. I'm not saying I want him in the lineup for 82 games, but he serves a purpose and brings elements that this team has lacked for awhile. He brings much, much more to the table than Glass or Adams.

Pretty much.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed.

The sort of guy that never shuts up from the bench can be worthwhile in a lot of ways including letting the puck carrier know what's up in his blind spot, but there's even more ways than just that.

Hockey's not really a gentlemanly sport, imo. More communication is always better than less, even if that communication is just some guy telling Phaneuf he's a joke for 60 minutes.

Communication is very important in hockey. One of the most underrated parts to hockey. So many people don't realize how much talking is part of the game.

Of course you think it's an awful post, not surprised in the least. I'd say your rebuttal was awful, to each his own.

I'm telling you that guys like Sid or Geno don't need this motormouth shouting instructions at them. And it would be annoying to many players. I played college hockey in my younger years at a division one school. We had a 4th line curtain jerker like that for half a season. He only lasted half a season because the majority of us couldn't stand him or his rah rah attitude. And even our coach asked him to scale it back. It's one thing to pick your spots and give your team mates a heads up, we all do that or should do that. Support your team mates, stick up for them and so forth. But THAT guy Sill, he takes it to an extreme. After a while your team mates will either tune you out, not take you seriously or shun you altogether. It was annoying at the college level, I can only imagine how bad it would be in the NHL.

You just have zero knowledge of how the game is played. Communication, and yes it comes with chirping, is a huge part of the game. You should ALWAYS be saying stuff on the bench. Goalies should be speaking to their d-men about where the outlets are. Players from the bench should be screaming if we are out of position, have a guy open, or need to make a quick outlet.

As my coach used to put it - why go out on the ice w/ only two eyes? You can have your entire team helping. And if it's chirping - **** it.. it's part of the game. It happens and happens every game. Get over it.

But honestly - communication is so vital to hockey. You need to realize that.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

You aren't on that bench and can't make that assumption. Every single team in the league has guys like this, and they are important parts of the team. If he can take a star player on the other team's mind off of the game for even a few seconds, it can lead to a goals or an opportunity.

You don't have to hear him on the bench, so who cares? I highly doubt anyone on the team really gives two-craps at all as long as Siller is sticking up for his teammates, which, if you watched the In The Room episode, you would know is definitely true.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Communication is very important in hockey. One of the most underrated parts to hockey. So many people don't realize how much talking is part of the game.

You just have zero knowledge of how the game is played. Communication, and yes it comes with chirping, is a huge part of the game. You should ALWAYS be saying stuff on the bench. Goalies should be speaking to their d-men about where the outlets are. Players from the bench should be screaming if we are out of position, have a guy open, or need to make a quick outlet.

As my coach used to put it - why go out on the ice w/ only two eyes? You can have your entire team helping. And if it's chirping - **** it.. it's part of the game. It happens and happens every game. Get over it.

But honestly - communication is so vital to hockey. You need to realize that.

I've always thought the Penguins did so well with Conklin and Vokoun in net because both guys run their mouths constantly. It's just invaluable when a goaltender is directing traffic.

Maybe Crosby knows when a guy's closing ground on him from behind, but I doubt Deryk Engelland does unless a guy who can see the whole ice shouts it at him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always wondered if the reason the team looks so much more "calm" with TV (or like you said, Conklin) in net had to do primarily with communication. I don't think Fleury talks too much. If he does... it's likely broken Franklish.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I've always wondered if the reason the team looks so much more "calm" with TV (or like you said, Conklin) in net had to do primarily with communication. I don't think Fleury talks too much. If he does... it's likely broken Franklish.

That might be part of it. I remember Scuderi trying to get Zatkoff to communicate more in an episode of In the Room.

There were reports of the locker room being too quiet, Sill is a chatterbox from what we've seen.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've always thought the Penguins did so well with Conklin and Vokoun in net because both guys run their mouths constantly. It's just invaluable when a goaltender is directing traffic.

Maybe Crosby knows when a guy's closing ground on him from behind, but I doubt Deryk Engelland does unless a guy who can see the whole ice shouts it at him.

And communication from a goalie, as a d-man, is sooo huge. Your looking at nothing but glass and the puck and need to find your outlets. If your goalie is telling you to wheel, swing, hard around, reverse, etc.... it just makes life so easy.

Difference on getting the puck out or stuck in your own zone.

Michael8771*

It happens a lot more than you think.
I'm fully aware of that sound bite. And I'm also aware of the players who were doing that. a HOFamer and one of the best wingers of his era. They already established respect from their team mates in spades. I think they were a bit raunchy but that happens in Hockey. In any case it's a bit different when a no name NHL wanna be takes it upon himself to do it. Your team mates need to have respect for you first. Otherwise you'll look like a sideshow and very likely a divisive presence. Besides, it's a team sport, OTHER players can give you a heads up and shout encouragement now and then. It doesn't have to be one motormouth who has NEVER DONE ANYTHING at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad