Prospect Info: Zach Senyshyn who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Dennis the punching bag Bonvie is now a scout ? Old boys club at its best.

My bigger concern: how adaptable are some of these more tenured guys? Obviously they have experience but are they making the right decisions over 15-25 years?

Malkoc seems to be a guy who is pretty sharp and has a good eye but I don't hear a ton about the others, positively or negatively.

Most places, in my experience, go with who you know. I think that's starting to change and more "outsiders" can break in than maybe decades ago but it is still a business that, to me, requires a lot of relationship management.

What does a former player's success (or lack thereof) have to do with scouting acumen? :huh:

Agree.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks, yes he is a pass first player, still manage to finish #1 defensemen in all the CHL in term of pts because of his superior vision, patience and skating in the Ozone.
And even if we always hear a shot on net his never a bad play, it his a bad play if you have better option open. A shot on net in a non-scoring area result in a goal 1 time out of 30 maybe? What generaly happen the other 29 times? A loss of possession. Shot if you have no other option or if you have a scoring chance, if not then just continue with the play and keep possession.

P.S. yeah, I'm a pass first player too :laugh:

kids great offensively, but is often manhandled in his own zone, his biggest strenght is he can skate/pass the puck out of trouble but any way you cut it, he`ll need to vastly improve his D-zone play....I too was a pass first guy;)

ddpk

May 5, 2016
Montreal, QC
Hi everyone,

I think many people need to calm down and appreciate the prospect pool that has been built. A reach or bust does not exist until you can make a fair comparison at the NHL level. Right now, every team, including the Bruins have prospects. Right now, that is all they are. That being said, I currently do some scouting in the Montreal area. I attended last year's development/training camp in Boston and spoke to a few people high up in the organization (for my own personal reasons). I saw the prospects first hand and have been doing some film study on a few of them especially ZS. There is a reason he was taken at 15. Also, there was first hand knowledge that other teams right behind the Bruins were ready to take him as well. The Bruins needed some power and plus skating as well as pure goal scoring on the wings. That is exactly what this player is and he proved it in his first FULL year playing as a TOP LINE WINGER. 45 G on a team without a real amazing set up man. Saw him progress and improve in areas that needed work. His play without the puck and passivity in certain areas of his game need to get better. Everything else is off the charts with him including his drive, will to improve and character. As for Zboril and Debrusk. I will say this. Debrusk scored 42 G in the WHL which, in my opinion, produces the best overall D-men in the CHL. He does the dirty work of a plumber, can score in MULTIPLE ways, makes plays all over the ice, and is skilled enough to score 42 G in the W. His play actually improved this year overall. Not the same production but he was hurt and was traded too. I know Kyle Connor was and is impressive. I hear Barzal mentioned a lot as well. I don't think the Bruins needed another small, injury prone center who is more of a distributor than a pure goal scorer. It ends there with Barzal. As for Connor (and I had him up there too and question the decision but one must look at it from the scouts perspective; there obviously is something they didn't like or thought would not translate at the NHL level), I wonder how his game and slight frame will fare in the Western Conference where his time and space will be reduced and his game will be pushed along the walls. Furthermore, if anyone is watching the playoffs, then it is readily apparent that in order for your team to have success, your team must have players that withstand the rigors of the playoffs and that this gauntlet of hockey is a marathon not a race. I certainly will not judge or shoot Keith Gretzky or Dean Malkoc, the same head scouts that drafted; Heinen, Gabrielle, Debrusk, Pasternak, Carlo, Debrusk.
A little perspective. Less judging. Let's see where this goes but it is looking very promising on many levels.

Hate the Habs with all my heart and Ive lived in MTL my whole life. Just an FYI.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
kids great offensively, but is often manhandled in his own zone, his biggest strenght is he can skate/pass the puck out of trouble but any way you cut it, he`ll need to vastly improve his D-zone play....I too was a pass first guy;)

Yeah, I think his positionning/decision making is good, but he need more strenght.

But I love those kind of defensemen, amazingly fast with IQ. Niedermayer and Keith rarely wins battle with their strenght, but their rapidity combine with their sense for the game make them treat everywhere at every time. Those guys can be down low in the Ozone on the forechek ant then back to place before the other team could even finalise their breakout. Just look at Keith in that 2013 final, the guys not perfect, but talk about a guy able to be everywhere at the same time, he broke so many of our breakout/cycle, I'd absolutly love to have a possession guy like that, it open so much space.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hi everyone,

I think many people need to calm down and appreciate the prospect pool that has been built. A reach or bust does not exist until you can make a fair comparison at the NHL level. Right now, every team, including the Bruins have prospects. Right now, that is all they are. That being said, I currently do some scouting in the Montreal area. I attended last year's development/training camp in Boston and spoke to a few people high up in the organization (for my own personal reasons). I saw the prospects first hand and have been doing some film study on a few of them especially ZS. There is a reason he was taken at 15. Also, there was first hand knowledge that other teams right behind the Bruins were ready to take him as well. The Bruins needed some power and plus skating as well as pure goal scoring on the wings. That is exactly what this player is and he proved it in his first FULL year playing as a TOP LINE WINGER. 45 G on a team without a real amazing set up man. Saw him progress and improve in areas that needed work. His play without the puck and passivity in certain areas of his game need to get better. Everything else is off the charts with him including his drive, will to improve and character. As for Zboril and Debrusk. I will say this. Debrusk scored 42 G in the WHL which, in my opinion, produces the best overall D-men in the CHL. He does the dirty work of a plumber, can score in MULTIPLE ways, makes plays all over the ice, and is skilled enough to score 42 G in the W. His play actually improved this year overall. Not the same production but he was hurt and was traded too. I know Kyle Connor was and is impressive. I hear Barzal mentioned a lot as well. I don't think the Bruins needed another small, injury prone center who is more of a distributor than a pure goal scorer. It ends there with Barzal. As for Connor (and I had him up there too and question the decision but one must look at it from the scouts perspective; there obviously is something they didn't like or thought would not translate at the NHL level), I wonder how his game and slight frame will fare in the Western Conference where his time and space will be reduced and his game will be pushed along the walls. Furthermore, if anyone is watching the playoffs, then it is readily apparent that in order for your team to have success, your team must have players that withstand the rigors of the playoffs and that this gauntlet of hockey is a marathon not a race. I certainly will not judge or shoot Keith Gretzky or Dean Malkoc, the same head scouts that drafted; Heinen, Gabrielle, Debrusk, Pasternak, Carlo, Debrusk.
A little perspective. Less judging. Let's see where this goes but it is looking very promising on many levels.

Hate the Habs with all my heart and Ive lived in MTL my whole life. Just an FYI.
thanks for the post. As for DeBrusk, like what you said because when he was catching all this crap someone I respect said he actually plays a 200 foot three zone game and will battle all over- very Bruins like player, like him a lot, the goals kind of got in the way of who he is or what type of player he is- 42 is not the number he should be judged by but 200 as in the entire ice.

good stuff

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Hi everyone,

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Thank you sir or madam.

ddpk

May 5, 2016
Montreal, QC
thanks for the post. As for DeBrusk, like what you said because when he was catching all this crap someone I respect said he actually plays a 200 foot three zone game and will battle all over- very Bruins like player, like him a lot, the goals kind of got in the way of who he is or what type of player he is- 42 is not the number he should be judged by but 200 as in the entire ice.

good stuff

200 ft for sure but as a mid-level First Rd. pick the high goal totals have to part of the equation.
He is very dangerous in the offensive zone and is a real sniper especially in tight spots and space. The thing is he can come out of the corner or along the half wall with the puck after battling and snipe it. Very accurate as well. Looking forward to watching him at the Memorial Cup.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I probably count as a hater on those because I didn't liked the picks. I still don't like them, nothing against the players themself, I think they have great potential as bottom 6 foward or 3rd wheel on a 2nd line. But, thanks to our amazing later round pick, we seems to have alot of depth in the farm for those role. Same for the defense, we have tons of guys who will play, but no top pairing guys. Now we are left scrambling trying to find top end talent in a less than ideal situation with those 2016 picks when we had an amazing opportunity to grab one, two or three top end talent last year. Of all our offensive prospect, Heinen is the only one I feel comfortable to expect a top six guy.

I'm sure they had their reason to do that, it wasn't a shot in the dark, but looking at it from every angle I can't understand it. In the short term 3rd wheel and bottom sixer are our need because we have the luxury to have two of the best center in the game to drive the top 6. What after? We are in a situation where we can't win now because of the black hole in defense and our last chance to win is in the next 3 years while Bergeron-Krejci can still play at the top of there game because after that our offense don't have any driver. For those years only complimentary player are needed, but what make Debrusk and Senyshyn safer bet to be complimentary player? Barzal, White, Connor have higher ceiling yes, but that doesn't mean they can't developp into complimentary player in the short term as well.

So, to conclude, I don't think our prospect aren't good, but we pass on a chance to draft guys with higher ceiling who are as safe or safer. So we picked the moderate/low reward, moderate/high risk prospect when we could have draft the moderate/high reward, moderate/high risk ones.

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
I probably count as a hater on those because I didn't liked the picks. I still don't like them, nothing against the players themself, I think they have great potential as bottom 6 foward or 3rd wheel on a 2nd line. But, thanks to our amazing later round pick, we seems to have alot of depth in the farm for those role. Same for the defense, we have tons of guys who will play, but no top pairing guys. Now we are left scrambling trying to find top end talent in a less than ideal situation with those 2016 picks when we had an amazing opportunity to grab one, two or three top end talent last year. Of all our offensive prospect, Heinen is the only one I feel comfortable to expect a top six guy.

I'm sure they had their reason to do that, it wasn't a shot in the dark, but looking at it from every angle I can't understand it. In the short term 3rd wheel and bottom sixer are our need because we have the luxury to have two of the best center in the game to drive the top 6. What after? We are in a situation where we can't win now because of the black hole in defense and our last chance to win is in the next 3 years while Bergeron-Krejci can still play at the top of there game because after that our offense don't have any driver. For those years only complimentary player are needed, but what make Debrusk and Senyshyn safer bet to be complimentary player? Barzal, White, Connor have higher ceiling yes, but that doesn't mean they can't developp into complimentary player in the short term as well.

So, to conclude, I don't think our prospect aren't good, but we pass on a chance to draft guys with higher ceiling who are as safe or safer. So we picked the moderate/low reward, moderate/high risk prospect when we could have draft the moderate/high reward, moderate/high risk ones.

Looking at the draft alone is one thing, but also have to take into account personality and results of interviews. They know the personality and type of "person" they're looking to develop and all tat weighs in at the draft.

The black hole on defense needs to be addressed but with trades and acquisitions. Last year was about fixing cap hell. Someone in the FO needs to see that Chara isn't a #1 any more. His knee has crippled him to a bottom pairing.

The draft isn't about an immediate fix. Not saying you're wrong but there are a lot of shades of grey between the black & white views that pervade these boards.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Looking at the draft alone is one thing, but also have to take into account personality and results of interviews. They know the personality and type of "person" they're looking to develop and all tat weighs in at the draft.

The black hole on defense needs to be addressed but with trades and acquisitions. Last year was about fixing cap hell. Someone in the FO needs to see that Chara isn't a #1 any more. His knee has crippled him to a bottom pairing.

The draft isn't about an immediate fix. Not saying you're wrong but there are a lot of shades of grey between the black & white views that pervade these boards.

Sorry, english isn't my first language so I probably explain it wrong, but I TOTALLY agree draft is not about immediate fix. That's another reason why I don't like the pick, we took them because Krejci/Bergeron/center/winger need. To me, drafting for need will never be a good thing because who knows what the needs will be in 4-5 years when those guy will start to have an impact.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry, english isn't my first language so I probably explain it wrong, but I TOTALLY agree draft is not about immediate fix. That's another reason why I don't like the pick, we took them because Krejci/Bergeron/center/winger need. To me, drafting for need will never be a good thing because who knows what the needs will be in 4-5 years when those guy will start to have an impact.

I think they wanted Hanifan first and foremost

Then they did go for need in the first with the 14th & 15th picks

They were looking for certain types of wingers- good hands/ finishers who were wingers

I expected Barzal and Connor but I get it

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I like that they drafted for need.

Chiarelli had a bad habit of trying to take the BPA and left himself with a logjam of too many guys playing the same style or position. Drafting Spooner and Koko in back to back drafts seems pretty stupid in hindsight (especially with Seguin already on the team). He obviously figured he could trade them for need later, but trades turned out to be really hard I guess.

Bottom line is that his drafting philosophy is what led to a guy like Koko wanting out of town because he sees no path to the NHL in Boston. I like that Sweeney and co. seem to be trying to to diversify the pipeline.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hi everyone,

This may be the best first post in the history of HF. Good stuff.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Hi everyone,

Nice post, welcome.
Any chance you can give a rundown on Zboril and "consistency" as time allows? Thanks,

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hi everyone,

Good post

Biggest mistake most here are guilty of IMO are offering their opinions/assessments on certain prospects without having seen one play a bloody game

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Good post

Biggest mistake most here are guilty of IMO are offering their opinions/assessments on certain prospects without having seen one play a bloody game

I've watched a lot of hockey in the OHL, probably more than most combined here. And even watching them, as much as I do, I make mistakes. Or more correctly, my opinion was incorrect.

Fact of the matter is that even watching them, it's a matter of opinion.

If someone has any knowledge of an exact science when it comes to drafting, I beg of them to share it with me because I could make us both rich.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I've watched a lot of hockey in the OHL, probably more than most combined here. And even watching them, as much as I do, I make mistakes. Or more correctly, my opinion was incorrect.

If someone has any knowledge of an exact science when it comes to drafting, I beg of them to share it with me because I could make us both rich.

A fun social experiment would be to figure out who on average gets "it" right more often: Scouts or Weather Men?

Haha

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

I'm working on a time machine I constructed from a riding mower, V12 engine, and a spaghetti strainer. You'll be my first call, Dom.

Cha-ching!! Cup time!

Always appreciate the insight, Dom. And, welcome ddpk.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hi everyone,

Thank you for stopping by. I look forward to your future insights :handclap:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

You mean like all those Einsteins over in the main section who were quite happy to tell us that the Bruins " had the worst 1st round picks ever LOL LOL LOL !!!!!! " :shakehead

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't see the argument over the number of season played in the CHL. He is 18 in a league full of 16-19yo of wich 1% only will have a career in the NHL.

And Lafleur played only 2 seasons, Leach 3 (one with only 22 games), Andreychuk 3 (if you count Andreychuk 14 games in 82-83 as a season). Bossy did played in 4 season.

Every person believe in some trait more than other. For me it's hockey sense, that's the attribute I think is of best use trying to project those young guys. To me Senyshyn have tremendous qualities, but he lack the hockey sense to be a top 6 winger in the NHL. I may be wrong, I was wrong more than once and being a fan of the Bruins I'd be really happy if I was wrong. But for now, I hope he work on his game so he can become an above average 3rd liner who can be a forecheking beast and use his speed and hands to score 20. So I hope for Paille with the hands to convert more of the opportunity his speed give him. That's my realistic excpectation.

Just to show an exemple where I was wrong. I tought Marchand's offensive game would not translate to the NHL when he was in the Q. He made his plays using his hands and superior agility on his skate and not much by being at the right place at the right time. Keeping the puck this much on your stick turning arround and arround at the NHL level doesn't work ... well Brad did make it work.

The reason I mentioned how many seasons those guys were in junior and it's an issue is because in your post, you "cherry-picked" certain seasons and pointed out where those guys were in the league for assists. The more seasons you have, the more chances to play with good linemates capable of finishing set ups. I'm pretty sure neither one of us knows what kind of lineups that those players Dom referenced had to work with.

Senyshyn played one season on a good Soo team, but was a role player because he was a rookie. Given where he played in the lineup, his 26 goal production was excellent. This year, in a larger role, he scored 45. Whether or not his skills translate to the NHL remains to be seen, but I'm not going to automatically assume they won't. Just like I don't assume anything about Senyshyn's hockey IQ when I don't watch him play live. The point about watching a player live (or on tape) has been debated here many times, but IMO it's a necessity if you want to learn about a kid's hockey sense.

ps You are wrong about Lafleur. His first two years in the QJHL, there was no such thing as the QMJHL, it didn't exist. Same for Andreychuk in 79-80. There was no OHL that year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Agree completely Dom, I`ve watched a ton of Q games but even so, I`m not close to being ready to placing myself amongst the fine company of yourself, Kirk and a few others here who`s eye for the game and it`s talent has forgotten more than this guy`s will ever know.

Seen can`t misses out of the game in 2 years, and 6th rounders flourish, ya just never know, can`t teach heart/guts/work ethic. Sometimes it`s a kid who`s just in the right place at the right time, takes advantage of an opportunity and rolls with it.

I`ll say it again though, and I know you tend to feel the same way based on your past posts, if it`s a conversation about a kid I`ve never seen or at best seen once or twice, other than a generic "I like what I saw" kind of comment, I tend to steer clear of giving anything like an in depth opinion. I find too many here,
who I can say with certainty haven`t seen a player, make exclamations about their game and how they have bust/boom written all over them

I like this stable of prospects, first time I recall there ever being this many with NHL "potential" in a Bruins jersey, we shall see. I love the highlights I`ve watched of ZS, and I`m excited about what might be, but I also understand, those highlights rarely show when he`s having one of those 18 year old moments and is possibly floating from time to time, nor do reports about him doing that, worry me as much as many here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad