Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - III - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Might want to look again - to me he looked significantly bigger on the ice this last year than he had in the past. Maybe just the maturation in his game and being more solid on his skates (looking to play through guys rather than around them). Didn’t get to Providence this year though...
Fair enough. Honestly I saw him play 3 times last season total

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Hockey Reference has Charlie Coyle at 6'3" and 200lbs and he is f***ing load out there. If Senyshyn is 5lbs lighter than him...and it's muscle? Let's just say I wouldn't want to get in front of him. Anyways, we can go back and forth...but at 6'3" he would be the third tallest Bruin behind Chara and Carlo. Let's see what he weighs coming into camp.

As for Finchster's remarks, here is my best attempt at a response. You say actions speak louder than words. I agree.

To intentionally draft a player that is a known reach and a known long-term project ahead of possible franchise prospects and then to place that player in the slow cooker for multiple years to specifically work on the weakest areas of that players game and then to consciously re-sign said player going into a crucial season for the current core...is a lot of action pointing to the belief that the kid can still help the Bruins. Now, whether that happens in a meaningful way or not remains to be seen...but Jay Leach isn't hired to create leading scorers in the AHL. He gets paid to help players reach their highest level of excellence and give them a shot at helping the big club win.

I say all of this while also feeling miffed, disappointed, confused , etc...by Sweeney on a pretty consistent basis. Like him or hate him Sweeney has principles. Sadly, they don't always help the team win. But in this case, I think Leach's words are more or less in line with their plan for Zach.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Hockey Reference has Charlie Coyle at 6'3" and 200lbs and he is f***ing load out there. If Senyshyn is 5lbs lighter than him...and it's muscle? Let's just say I wouldn't want to get in front of him. Anyways, we can go back and forth...but at 6'3" he would be the third tallest Bruin behind Chara and Carlo. Let's see what he weighs coming into camp.

As for Finchster's remarks, here is my best attempt at a response. You say actions speak louder than words. I agree.

To intentionally draft a player that is a known reach and a known long-term project ahead of possible franchise prospects and then to place that player in the slow cooker for multiple years to specifically work on the weakest areas of that players game and then to consciously re-sign said player going into a crucial season for the current core...is a lot of action pointing to the belief that the kid can still help the Bruins. Now, whether that happens in a meaningful way or not remains to be seen...but Jay Leach isn't hired to create leading scorers in the AHL. He gets paid to help players reach their highest level of excellence and give them a shot at helping the big club win.

I say all of this while also feeling miffed, disappointed, confused , etc...by Sweeney on a pretty consistent basis. Like him or hate him Sweeney has principles. Sadly, they don't always help the team win. But in this case, I think Leach's words are more or less in line with their plan for Zach.

Pretty sureCoyle is at about 220- he is a truck load. I think Senyshyn is a bit more slender, but 6'2 ish seems right when you look at him, maybe he is 6'3", and probably over 200 now and though not as thick as Coyle still a tough guy to handle especially if is he is coming at pace.

Reactions: HustleB

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Pretty sureCoyle is at about 220- he is a truck load. I think Senyshyn is a bit more slender, but 6'2 ish seems right when you look at him, maybe he is 6'3", and probably over 200 now and though not as thick as Coyle still a tough guy to handle especially if is he is coming at pace.
I think it it all depends on how tall you think Lauzon is because he was taller in the picture of them together last year.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
His tool description reminds me of...

Jason Chimera.

Straight-line fast AF, decent size, some skill. Should have a decent pro career.

Last edited:
Reactions: FONZIE

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Coyle is listed at 220 in Hockeydb and he looks every bit 220.

I would bet money he is much closer to 220 than

ZS will be turning 24 during the RS under an October start so the fact
he is signed to a reported 2 way deal at $700k is not a ringing endorsement.

Reactions: Spooner st

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No I meant Senyshyn was taller than him.

Interesting. I wonder what kind of footgear they were wearing :laugh: I have no idea where Lauzon is height-wise. He is listed at 6'1 but he looks taller than that on the ice. That would put Senyshyn at 6'2" at least, but he is taller than Coyle in the picture, so maybe Coyle is listed at taller than he actually is, or Seny has sprouted up to 6'4". Who knows? Some people develop later physically than others.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He was definitely taller than Lauzon five years ago.

jakub_zboril_zach_senyshyn_jake_debrusk_boston_062615.jpg

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
That's Zboril to his right, Debrusk to his left.

Zboril from what I've seen has always been listed at 6'0. I've seen Lauzon and Senyshyn at both 6'2 and 6'1.
I have no idea what my brain was doing during my viewing of that picture. Good lord.

Reactions: BruinDust

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
One of the things that has to be considered is how Senyshyn has been managed in Providence. Despite the intriguing stats and unbelievable size, speed and skill package in his draft year, Senyshyn was by far the rawest prospect taken in the 1st round. If I recall correctly, by the time he got to Providence, JAy Leach realized that if he was going to make it in the NHL (at least as a Bruin) he would need to redefine his game to focus on forechecking and crashing the net. He has played primarily a checking role in Providence with very little PP time until just before the COVID pause. Anthony at the Bruins Network reported that Senysyhyn was often the best player on the ice for both teams due to his hyper-aggressive forecheck. Now that is something the Bruins missed this postseason.

For reference, here is Leach's postseason recap on both Seny and Zboril. The latest on the development of 2015 first-round picks Zach Senyshyn, Jakub Zboril

Senyshyn's competition for the 4RW are essentially Wags and Kuhlman. Those are the guys he has to beat. Based on the poor performance of the 4th line last year, I would imagine the job is totally up for grabs.

Now, some of you have mentioned Seny might be "gifted" a chance higher up the depth chart. Whether you like it or not, Senyshyn has paid his dues in the A. So, if he ends up getting a look alongside Bergeron, Krejci or Coyle...it's because he has earned the look. The question is whether he can keep the job.

While I look forward to seeing more of Kase, until he produces on the scoreboard, he is entirely replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kase continue to struggle in that regards...or god forbid he get his clock cleaned for the 20th time...that might be the type of opportunity Seny needs to get an extended look.

I wouldn't bet my mortgage on Seny playing more than 20 games in Boston this year...but if he does, I think he is the type of unique player who could thrive once he figures it all out.

I know this is from a couple of seasons ago, but for a guy that if you read his scouting report as a fast and big winger. He sure has developed a game in front of the net and isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas. Honesty if a player like Athanasiou can score 30, Senyshyn should get 20 at some point!

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT

I know this is from a couple of seasons ago, but for a guy that if you read his scouting report as a fast and big winger. He sure has developed a game in front of the net and isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas. Honesty if a player like Athanasiou can score 30, Senyshyn should get 20 at some point!

Omg just give it up people. Ive never seen so many people forcing something and trying to convince themselves if the mean Bruins just give this poor talented kid a chance he’d flourish. I feel like I’m in the twilight zone

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Omg just give it up people. Ive never seen so many people forcing something and trying to convince themselves if the mean Bruins just give this poor talented kid a chance he’d flourish. I feel like I’m in the twilight zone

Why do you care so much if people want to cheer the kid on and hope? If the Bruins give him a shot I’d hope you, as a fan , would do the same.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Let me sum things up so all followers can simply agree and move on. Senyshyn is pretty big. He’s very fast. He has scored in the past. He might be able to score in the future in the NHL. He is the same age now as Karson Kuhlman was when he made it to the show. If he does, cool. If he doesn’t, f*** me in the diaper. Either way Sweeney doesn’t care what we type in these boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PeanutButter37

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He seems to be having a decent development curve for a guy that should've been drafted as a 3rd/4th rounder. I don't have any issues with Leach trying to round out his game since he obviously doesn't have enough offensive talent to be a top-6 contributor. If all the rosy reviews of his games are true he might be a useful 4th line RW, although typically even 4th liners in the NHL have better point production in the AHL than Senyshyn has had.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I almost want to make a highlight video of some of Shawn Thornton's goals as a Bruin as a response to that video

It would look equally impressive

Why do you care so much if people want to cheer the kid on and hope?
Hope based on nothing is fantasy, and I hate fantasy fiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97 and Spooner st

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Rooting for the kid as well, but you are correct it's like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. The Bruins didn't even offer him a second year on his deal that would give him a 700k payday....They figure he won't be claimed and he won't make the bigs, so no way they are going to waste money.

Reactions: Spooner st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad