Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn - II - NO 2015 draft talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

Not for nothing, but could Senyshyn fill the one position on the #1 PP that no one else has seemed to be able to do? Yes the net front guy is the correct answer. Senyshyn's got size and he does some of his best work in close. Could that be where he really makes an early impact on this team?

I liked how Jake DeBrusk looked there in playoffs.

But I’ll also say, I’m not sure. How do you go from not playing PP in the AHL to 1st unit on one of the best in the league in 4 months?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

But I’ll also say, I’m not sure. How do you go from not playing PP in the AHL to 1st unit on one of the best in the league in 4 months?
Second half of the season he was on the second PP unit but you're asking a lot of him to make jump right into a major strength of the parent team.
I've said my piece on him already but if he's an early cut from camp... I don't even want to go there

member 96824

Second half of the season he was on the second PP unit but you're asking a lot of him to make jump right into a major strength of the parent team.
I've said my piece on him already but if he's an early cut from camp... I don't even want to go there

Gotcha. You’ve watched more than I have. My understanding from this thread is that he was given zero power play opportunity so that’s good to know.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Gotcha. You’ve watched more than I have. My understanding from this thread is that he was given zero power play opportunity so that’s good to know.
One of those good news/bad news kind of deals.

Before they put him on the powerplay mid-season, he'd only scored five goals (natrually, two were from early season PP time). Being put on the PP gave him a nice boost in productivity, with a 4 game scoring streak. Most unfortunately of all, aside from his Boston empty netter, he scored 3 goals after that scoring outburst, none of which were on the PP.

So Cassidy should pretty much sit Bergeron and slot Senyshyn on the big club's PP.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Looking at his goal highlights from 18/19, a good chunk of his goals came on the PP. That means that he did receive a decent bit of PP time, or that he just did a lot with the little time he was given.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I like DeBrusk there, but he was hit or miss on the PP. I'm not suggesting you throw Seny in there, I'm saying there is a spot there to be earned because no one outside of 37, 63, 88, 47 have locked themselves in the the #1PP.

It may work, it may not. Seny fills the need for a big body net front guy. At worst you could give the kid a look and see if something clicks.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Maybe it's an area they need to change to fit a RHS.

Don't fix what's not broken. Bruins have loved having their half wall/left handed shots for a few years now, and the success rate of the PP has been a driving force in the Bruins success, especially this past season.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Don't fix what's not broken. Bruins have loved having their half wall/left handed shots for a few years now, and the success rate of the PP has been a driving force in the Bruins success, especially this past season.

Im not talking about the half wall, I'm talking about net front.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But you kind of are... because of the way they setup their PP, it best suits a left handed shot along the goal line. You're advocating a change in that to suit a RHS, but why fix something that's not broken?

They had both lefties and righties playing in that role last year lol. That role is also option #5 on the PP. You want someone with size that can bang in rebounds.

Let's also not act like that PP was flawless. When 37/63/88/47 are on, they are lethal on the PP. When they are off they look lost and give up more chances then they get. Is it broke? No, could it be better? Yes.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They had both lefties and righties playing in that role last year lol. That role is also option #5 on the PP. You want someone with size that can bang in rebounds.

Let's also not act like that PP was flawless. When 37/63/88/47 are on, they are lethal on the PP. When they are off they look lost and give up more chances then they get. Is it broke? No, could it be better? Yes.

Yes, but they played mostly lefties because, as noted before, the puck movement flows better with another left handed shot there.

They had the best PP percentage for a Bruins team since the 70's... hard to imagine they could do any better. All units on every team go thru phases of inept play. The short handed chances against them had nothing to do with their net front presence; it was mostly due to high risk plays along the blueline or poor puck management along the walls up high ( Pasta says hi ).

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes, but they played mostly lefties because, as noted before, the puck movement flows better with another left handed shot there.

They had the best PP percentage for a Bruins team since the 70's... hard to imagine they could do any better. All units on every team go thru phases of inept play. The short handed chances against them had nothing to do with their net front presence; it was mostly due to high risk plays along the blueline or poor puck management along the walls up high ( Pasta says hi ).

But they could if they had someone up front who can bang in rebounds. Many of those high risk plays were due to the PP trying the same play over and over because they didn't have that guy to bang in rebounds. Instead of throwing pucks on net, they looked for the perfect play.

End of the day I'd give Seny a look there during camp since he's good in tight and no one really solidified that spot last year. If you wouldn't that's fine, we'll agree to disagree.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm now convinced that the choices of Senyshyn and Zboril were colossal failures. 28 of the 30 first rounders have played more games,and these 2 look like they may never make it.

Reactions: Lo97

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm now convinced that the choices of Senyshyn and Zboril were colossal failures. 28 of the 30 first rounders have played more games,and these 2 look like they may never make it.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Even if Seny makes it, he's likely to be a 3rd liner at most.

Reactions: Lo97

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I always think that bitching about prospects happens way too soon, especially with guys who we knew would be projects. But I have to admit, I'm heading towards your line of thinking as well. We miss on just one guy, and it's a really good draft. But to miss on two, with so much talent that year, really is a kick in the shorts.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Yeah, he has the speed and the release but the fact that he's started the year pointless in 6 games is getting worrisome at this point. And speaking "failures," I think Sweeney f***ed up by not signing Cedric Pare - yes he's playing with future #1 pick in the upcoming draft, but I'm surprised he gave up on the 20 year so quickly (and still not giving up on Senyshyn)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
eh, the two are really in different categories & shouldn't be lumped together.

Senyshyn I think was a miss, but there's still time to prove me wrong. But with the Bruins having a gaping hole at RW (arguably multiple holes at RW over the last few years) the path for Senyshyn to the NHL was wide open & he still hasn't made it. He has been a supremely disappointing pick thus far, especially given that on paper he perfectly filled a need for us.

By contrast, Zboril IMO could be an NHL 3rd pair D right now and is somewhat a victim of the Bruins depth at the position. While it's true that he hasn't necessarily played up to mid-first round pick expectations, I think he is an NHL-quality player but in 2015 I don't think anyone in the org anticipated the emergence of Grzelcyk and the longevity of Chara. In June 2015 I think the B's brass thought they were stockpiling left D with the expectation that Chara might be done by as early as 2018. They've managed to hit on a lot of them (Lauzon & Zboril could play regular NHL minutes today, Grizz is one of the best 3rd pair D in the league) while Chara has stuck around. Zboril could do everything right in Providence & still wouldn't have a path to the NHL today without injury.

I'd argue that given the above, Sweeney has waited way too long to unload at least one of the D prospects to get forward help (even after trading Lindgren, who was also part of that LD logjam for a bit).

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I always think that *****ing about prospects happens way too soon, especially with guys who we knew would be projects. But I have to admit, I'm heading towards your line of thinking as well. We miss on just one guy, and it's a really good draft. But to miss on two, with so much talent that year, really is a kick in the shorts.
Imo there's still plenty of time for Zboril. Yes he should be ahead in his development, but still I think he has a few more years to put it together.

As far as Senyshyn goes... I think this year is the year that they will decide if they keep developing him or let him go/trade.
I believe Senyshyn still has his future in his hands. But the clock is ticking. It's up to him to put it all together.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I'd argue that given the above said:
Sweeney has waited way too long to unload at least one of the D prospects to get forward help (even after trading Lindgren, who was also part of that LD logjam for a bit).

With the upcoming Seattle expansion draft they'll need to expose at least one d-man (Moore?) , maybe 2, this could open the door a crack for the likes of Lauzon and Zboril

member 96824

Yeah, he has the speed and the release but the fact that he's started the year pointless in 6 games is getting worrisome at this point. And speaking "failures," I think Sweeney ****ed up by not signing Cedric Pare - yes he's playing with future #1 pick in the upcoming draft, but I'm surprised he gave up on the 20 year so quickly (and still not giving up on Senyshyn)

There's an existing thread on this.

Prospect Info: - 173rd Overall ( Round 6 ) Cedric Pare (F)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yeah, he has the speed and the release but the fact that he's started the year pointless in 6 games is getting worrisome at this point. And speaking "failures," I think Sweeney ****ed up by not signing Cedric Pare - yes he's playing with future #1 pick in the upcoming draft, but I'm surprised he gave up on the 20 year so quickly (and still not giving up on Senyshyn)

Oh brother....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad