Zach Redmond - [UPDATE: April 17, 2013] Conditioning in St. John's

jetkarma*

Just heard on a replay on 1290 something about Zach Redmond being able to skate with the club very soon.

Nothing implied that he was close to even contemplating playing soon , but that is good news overall , plus it has to be a positive for playing , at least hopefully next season.

Sure it will be a positive for his team mates too.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think that was a misunderstanding. He's going to talk to media and visit team mates. I imagine also visit the trainers too. We will see next week.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Did they actually say he'd be able to skate with the club? I thought they just said that he would be in Winnipeg to "join the team" which could mean that he's working with the trainers to rehab.

Either way, it's good news. I hope for nothing but the best for him!

jetkarma*

Just caught the last part but I thought I heard he would be able to skate with them. Now that might mean he skates very very gingerly , but if true that is good news imo.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice to hear. All the power to him. Just being back around his teammates has to be a boost to him and the team.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
That's what I'm thinking as well. Theo Fleury had a skate injury on his arm and it took over a year before he could play again. Severed his brachial artery, and it sounds like Redmonds injury was much more serious, at least at the time. Fleury also had several nerves severed. We'll probably know much more after the visit.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Usually very serious injuries like this the team trainers and associated medical staff want to take a look themselves to determine anything. They cannot determine ETA of the injury without looking at it themselves. Just like Ivan Telegin coming over from Russia so our medical staff could see his hand.

Given the fact it took Redmond several days before he went home, this injury is probably very serious. I'm going to guess he will miss all of next year.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
That's what I'm thinking as well. Theo Fleury had a skate injury on his arm and it took over a year before he could play again. Severed his brachial artery, and it sounds like Redmonds injury was much more serious, at least at the time. Fleury also had several nerves severed. We'll probably know much more after the visit.

Usually very serious injuries like this the team trainers and associated medical staff want to take a look themselves to determine anything. They cannot determine ETA of the injury without looking at it themselves. Just like Ivan Telegin coming over from Russia so our medical staff could see his hand.

Given the fact it took Redmond several days before he went home, this injury is probably very serious. I'm going to guess he will miss all of next year.
Nerve injuries can take many months to heal and sometimes never do. Zach's injury caused major blood loss, lacerations to blood vessels and surrounding muscle, but no nerve damage, AFAIK.
I am hopeful he will be at training camp in the fall.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Where did you hear there was no nerve damage? I'm hoping there isn't. From the reports it wasn't just the femoral cut either, there was multiple other arteries/veins cut.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Where did you hear there was no nerve damage? I'm hoping there isn't. From the reports it wasn't just the femoral cut either, there was multiple other arteries/veins cut.

Just my best guess, based on the media reports that the injury was to the femoral artery and vein. The brachial artery (Fleury's injury) is much closer to a major nerve than the femoral vessels above the knee.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
My impression was that he was just coming by for a visit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was still on crutches. I didn't get the impression that he was walking properly, let alone anywhere near skating.

Sounds about right, he had major surgery, doubtful he will even skate for six months.

DominikPavelec

Mar 8, 2013
Winnipeg
My impression was that he was just coming by for a visit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was still on crutches. I didn't get the impression that he was walking properly, let alone anywhere near skating.

I find it hard to walk after an intense game or workout, never mind having my muscles and artery severed. The dude has to be on crutches.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Brian Rogers did an interview with a fellow Kitzinger (sp??). He played on the same college team as Redmond. In the interview two things were stated.

1. Redmond is coming to the rock in April to be around the boys.
2. He is walking up and down stairs.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Brian Rogers did an interview with a fellow Kitzinger (sp??). He played on the same college team as Redmond. In the interview two things were stated.

1. Redmond is coming to the rock in April to be around the boys.
2. He is walking up and down stairs.

Given the severity of the injury, its a great sign that he's as mobile as he is. :handclap:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Just my best guess, based on the media reports that the injury was to the femoral artery and vein. The brachial artery (Fleury's injury) is much closer to a major nerve than the femoral vessels above the knee.

Sounds like a bit of an educated guess to me. Even without nerve damage I see a long recovery.

iceguy

Dec 8, 2011
In one report they stated popliteal vein and artery, which is right behind your knee, slightly superior as they transition through the hamstring muscles. It's quite possible to avoid severing the sciatic nerve, and if the vascular surgery went well, recovery could progress positively. Certainly hope the best for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad