Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree. That is, as long as he doesn’t fall of a cliff like Heatley. in that case we’d likely force him out

MN can't force him to do anything. The most they can do is pressbox him. Even he was to retire after this season the Wild are stuck with with the recapture penalty.

The worst thing the Wild could do is "force" him to take a trade, he waits a couple of years and then retires. ~$20m in recapture penalties spread over 1-3 years will kill the team's cap.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Buying him out after the 2021 season would give use varying levels of cap savings for the 4 remaining years of his deal, then only ~$800k in dead money for the next 4.

It's not unfeasible.

After the 2022 season the dead money is only ~$400k for the next 3 years.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Buying him out after the 2021 season would give use varying levels of cap savings for the 4 remaining years of his deal, then only ~$800k in dead money for the next 4.

It's not unfeasible.

Is there a buyout window before the expansion draft happens?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

It's not unfeasible.

The would gain $1.5m, $500k, $500k worth of cap space the last 3 years of his deal. Not much point doing the buyout just to make the pain of that contract last another 3 seasons.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
The would gain $1.5m, $500k, $500k worth of cap space the last 3 years of his deal. Not much point doing the buyout just to make the pain of that contract last another 3 seasons.

Unless they fear he has completely fallen off and don't want to protect him in the expansion draft.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

There might be if you're worried about him retiring and sticking you with recapture penalties. I'm sort of basing this off the talk about putting him in the pressbox to "force him out".

Also, the first year is ~$5M in cap savings so you could, in theory, take a 1 year bad contract (Marleau-esque) to gain an asset.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There might be if you're worried about him retiring and sticking you with recapture penalties. I'm sort of basing this off the talk about putting him in the pressbox to "force him out".

Also, the first year is ~$5M in cap savings so you could, in theory, take a 1 year bad contract (Marleau-esque) to gain an asset.

I was going off the 3 year buyout. It would be better to let him retire and eat the recapture. It'll be evenly split for the years remaining on his deal. A trade and then ZP retiring is the big recapture hit.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Unless they fear he has completely fallen off and don't want to protect him in the expansion draft.

The team isn't brimming with players that would be missed if they were picked up be Seattle.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I was going off the 3 year buyout. It would be better to let him retire and eat the recapture. It'll be evenly split for the years remaining on his deal. A trade and then ZP retiring is the big recapture hit.
I bet Zach would prefer the buyout. Better for his bottom line.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I bet Zach would prefer the buyout. Better for his bottom line.

He'd be late 30's at that point. If he's not good enough to play for MN what other team is going to want him? LTIR(etired) would be the best for him and the team at that point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He'd be late 30's at that point. If he's not good enough to play for MN what other team is going to want him? LTIR(etired) would be the best for him and the team at that point.
LTIR is one thing, but that wasn't what you said in your post, which was what I was responding to. Retirement alone just isn't likely.

I'm sure that the back issue could suddenly "flair up" to get him LTIR(etired). No recapture then.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
LTIR is one thing, but that wasn't what you said in your post, which was what I was responding to. Retirement alone just isn't likely.

I'm sure that the back issue could suddenly "flair up" to get him LTIR(etired). No recapture then.

Even without the LTIR, him retiring would be better than a buyout.

If he can still play well enough to deserve a roster spot then he'll just be incredibly overpaid as a 4th line grinder. I don't see any benefit of a buyout when the last 2 years of it will be less than a league min salary in savings.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

If he can still play well enough to deserve a roster spot then he'll just be incredibly overpaid as a 4th line grinder. I don't see any benefit of a buyout when the last 2 years of it will be less than a league min salary in savings.
As I said, Zach himself has a lot of financial reasons not to retire without LTIR. Only he can choose to straight retire. I doubt he would.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I guess I was wrong about the recapture stuff. I thought it was a little more punitive even without a trade.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I guess I was wrong about the recapture stuff. I thought it was a little more punitive even without a trade.
The longer he stays here, the less cap savings the Wild benefited from. The last several years eats into it significantly. Trading him now though, the cap savings was very large still and cannot be reduced and thus the recapture is much more painful.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
The team isn't brimming with players that would be missed if they were picked up be Seattle.

If the team continues to play like they have the first 5 games for the next 159 I agree with you. But I don't think they are going to keep this up and only win 17 games this year either.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
My guess right now is we go 4x4:

Protect the top 4 defensemen (depends slightly on Brodin's contract status).
Protect Parise and Zuccarello (have to).
Probably protect Kunin (handedness rarity, center possibility).
Protect the favorite of Zucker, Fiala, Greenway, Donato and Eriksson Ek (if they're all still here; still a lot of time in between).
Let Seattle have their pick of the rest of the redundant left-shot wingers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Protect the favorite of Zucker, Fiala, Greenway, Donato and Eriksson Ek (if they're all still here; still a lot of time in between).

I think Brodin will be gone either as a UFA or traded before he becomes a UFA. He'll be due a raise and I don't see the cap space being there with all of Spurgeon, Suter, Parise, Zucc, and Dumba (maybe Zucker still too) all locked into their deals. Especially is Kaprizov turns into what fans are hoping he turns into, he'll get a huge contract then. Glaring holes at center and goalie will need to be addressed and likely eat up the rest of the cap space.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Brodin will be gone either as a UFA or traded before he becomes a UFA. He'll be due a raise and I don't see the cap space being there with all of Spurgeon, Suter, Parise, Zucc, and Dumba (maybe Zucker still too) all locked into their deals. Especially is Kaprizov turns into what fans are hoping he turns into, he'll get a huge contract then. Glaring holes at center and goalie will need to be addressed and likely eat up the rest of the cap space.

Is he due a raise? I think he was paid before on the idea that he'd develop a little bit of offense. How much does a #4D with no offense get nowadays?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I hope we buyout Parise.

7F: Zucc, Kunin, Greenway, Fiala, Zucker, Donato, Eriksson Ek
3D: Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba (Brodin handshake deal to sign after expansion)
1G: Dubnyk

Expose
F: Foligno, Hartman, (Koivu), (Staal)
D: (Brodin), Soucy, Seeler, (Hunt)
G: Stalock

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I hope we buyout Parise.

7F: Zucc, Kunin, Greenway, Fiala, Zucker, Donato, Eriksson Ek
3D: Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba (Brodin handshake deal to sign after expansion)
1G: Dubnyk

Expose
F: Foligno, Hartman, (Koivu), (Staal)
D: (Brodin), Soucy, Seeler, (Hunt)
G: Stalock
I hope we LTIRetire Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad