Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So he WAS a star, at 25. He's kind of a long ways from that age now.

Eh, I don't know. He's still scoring 20+ goals at a pretty good clip.

And in his best year in NJ, the top 3 scoring centers were Zajac (62 points), Zubrus (40 points) and Madden (23 points).

Fair point, though Elias had 73 points and Langenbrunner had 69 points. His centers weren't that great in New Jersey either.

And knowing that this a shot at Koivu, Parise's first 2 years in Minnesota (pre-Granlund), Koivu played at a 63 point level (lockout-shortened season) and 68 point level (injury-shortened season).

That seems to be Koivu's MO over the years. Either injured or not gelling. I remember trying a ton of different wingers during the lean years and the only ones that he could work with were Brunette and Mitts. But it wasn't just Koivu, who else have we had? Oh yeah; Kyle Brodziak, a really old Matt Cullen, Mikael Granlund, who couldn't stick at center, Zenon Konopka, Erik Haula, who struggled here for whatever reason, Charlie Coyle, Ryan Carter...We finally got Staal, but that was way too late.

Can we just appreciate that Parise while in Minnesota has scored; 25 or more goals 4 times, that's not including an 18 goal performance in 48 games...

Since coming to Minnesota he's scored 167 goals in 444 games. That's good for .38 goals per game or 31 every 82 games. Only Staal really has shown that kind of production. If that isn't a star, I don't know what is. And he's played with some really questionable centers.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Eh, I don't know. He's still scoring 20+ goals at a pretty good clip.

Fair point, though Elias had 73 points and Langenbrunner had 69 points. His centers weren't that great in New Jersey either.

That seems to be Koivu's MO over the years. Either injured or not gelling. I remember trying a ton of different wingers during the lean years and the only ones that he could work with were Brunette and Mitts. But it wasn't just Koivu, who else have we had? Oh yeah; Kyle Brodziak, a really old Matt Cullen, Mikael Granlund, who couldn't stick at center, Zenon Konopka, Erik Haula, who struggled here for whatever reason, Charlie Coyle, Ryan Carter...We finally got Staal, but that was way too late.

Can we just appreciate that Parise while in Minnesota has scored; 25 or more goals 4 times, that's not including an 18 goal performance in 48 games...

Since coming to Minnesota he's scored 167 goals in 444 games. That's good for .38 goals per game or 31 every 82 games. Only Staal really has shown that kind of production. If that isn't a star, I don't know what is. And he's played with some really questionable centers.

I appreciate what he's done here, I just don't believe that other guys are holding him back from being what he was when he was 24/25 years old. Those seasons are by far the outliers of his career, and he was already coming back down from them before he got here. If you look at his per 82 game seasons here, he's right in line with his 2006-08 and 2011-12 years in NJ.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I appreciate what he's done here, I just don't believe that other guys are holding him back from being what he was when he was 24/25 years old. Those seasons are by far the outliers of his career, and he was already coming back down from them before he got here. If you look at his per 82 game seasons here, he's right in line with his 2006-08 and 2011-12 years in NJ.

And I understand that, but this team has never had really good offensive weapons since Gaborik left. Parise isn't a franchise player, we can agree on that. But he's a damn good complementary piece as seen in New Jersey when him and Elias were playing. Parise has never had a player like Elias here in Minnesota and I dare say, he hasn't had a good supporting cast like he had in New Jersey.

Also, the only outlier is the 45 goal season, which New Jersey apparently has a lot of (look at some of their other players). I also don't think he was coming down from anything; 31 goals, 32 goals, 38 goals, 31 goals. In Minnesota he was right in line with them; first season here he was in line with a 31 goal season. And then he had 29 goals in 67 games, which would have been a 36 goal season. And then 33 in 74, which is around 37 goals. He had only one outlier in 45 goals, which isn't much of an outlier either. He's now 34, banged up but still producing 25+ goals and 61 points. That's a pretty good production rate.

The only issue is assists, as his assists are way down and that is where the offensive issue is. We don't have any really good goal scorers, especially at center to generate offense and get him those assists. But Parise is as advertised.

I see Parise like a John C. Reilly type. He's no Will Ferrell or Tom Cruise, but he can be a great supporting choice.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I see Parise like a John C. Reilly type. He's no Will Ferrell or Tom Cruise, but he can be a great supporting choice.

exdTeJy.png

Oh my god. They're practically twins!

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Maybe it's just me but that home doesn't seem that big at all for a guy who is probably worth about a quarter-billion dollars.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Maybe it's just me but that home doesn't seem that big at all for a guy who is probably worth about a quarter-billion dollars.
It's possible that Parise has enough sense to realize that the size of his house doesn't need to be a function of the size of his paycheck.

It's also possible that he's reading articles about the bottom falling out of the luxury housing market and decided it was a good time to cut back.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

He's "only" made ~$92 million so far in his career, and that's gross. Cut it in half and you've got roughly his take home. Maybe even more than half.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I saw a site said he was top 10 in NHL in endorsements. Though it says he only makes about $800K a year in endorsements, I don't think that stat is accurate. It also doesn't say how much he has made total.

Anyways, a $4mil house isn't that much money for a guy like him.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I don't think there's much the selling the house thing. Maybe he's getting divorced?

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I doubt he’s even worth 100 billion. He probably took him half of his 98 million dollar deal

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I doubt he’s even worth 100 billion. He probably took him half of his 98 million dollar deal

Yeah I don't know how he could possibly afford to live in a $4million dollar home. I'm sure he's really struggling to feed his children.. Maybe he'll move in over here on the East Side by me, nice and close to the X and homes can be had for $100K. That might be all he can afford! lol

Seriously, he's top 10 in NHL endorsements, and will be an endorsement magnet for the rest of his life (well after NHL career over). He will be making money for the rest of his life.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think there's much the selling the house thing. Maybe he's getting divorced?

From Russo's tweet it's a $4m summer home he's selling, and he already has a different summer home. He can only use so many houses, and I'm guessing the property taxes, maintenance, and insurance aren't cheap. I'm sure he can afford it all, but if it's not being used then it's a waste of him money.

It could also just be the market is right for him to sell it and make a profit from when he bought it however long ago.

Didn't he have a house on the market when the Wild got Dub, and then took it off the market to let Dub move his family move in during that season a few years ago?

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
If he has a 25 point season, does he retire?

EDIT: what do we do with him if he’s this bad?

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Regardless of his play, I don't think there's much chance of him thinking about retirement until his real salary drops down to $2m in 2022-23.
I agree. That is, as long as he doesn’t fall of a cliff like Heatley. in that case we’d likely force him out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->