Injury Report: Zach Parise (Week-to-Week, Lower-Body Injury)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Russo:

Zach Parise is out tonight. I'm 100 percent positive this isn't a recurrence of last year's back injury but instead a foot injury sustained I believe two games ago in Boston when he blocked a Brandon Carlo shot. He did block a couple in Buffalo, but I think the original injury came in Boston.

I don't think he'll be out long, although the Wild's classifying him as week-to-week. I believe x-rays were negative.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Week to week? Makes me want to
giphy.gif

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Dude is becoming very injury prone. It's alarming. Honestly, he wasn't looking too good so far with the exception of a game or two this early season. Like others already noted, he just looked off. So in that regard, maybe...and that's a big MAYBE it won't impact us as much.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Dude is becoming very injury prone. It's alarming. Honestly, he wasn't looking too good so far with the exception of a game or two this early season. Like others already noted, he just looked off. So in that regard, maybe...and that's a big MAYBE it won't impact us as much.

I'm worried about his back injury flaring back up, but this injury shouldn't cause any recurring problems. Most likely it's just a huge bruise from the shot block.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Sometimes I really wish shot blocking never became a thing in the NHL (and, well, every other league). Not only does goal scoring suffer, but guys get hurt all the damn time from it. Hell, I got hit in the foot by accident in a game a few weeks ago, and it was enough to tell me getting in front of shots on purpose would be a bad idea...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes I really wish shot blocking never became a thing in the NHL (and, well, every other league). Not only does goal scoring suffer, but guys get hurt all the damn time from it. Hell, I got hit in the foot by accident in a game a few weeks ago, and it was enough to tell me getting in front of shots on purpose would be a bad idea...

The super high end skates that they use have a lot of protection built into them. Blocking shots using the leather Tacks that I used to use...now that was painful. The skate boot was like a thick pair of shoes, basically.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The super high end skates that they use have a lot of protection built into them. Blocking shots using the leather Tacks that I used to use...now that was painful. The skate boot was like a thick pair of shoes, basically.

The problem is the super high end skates have no padding, so the hard surface actually does very little to protect from broken bones.

It's a false sense of protection.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
The problem is the super high end skates have no padding, so the hard surface actually does very little to protect from broken bones.

You're dead on, good for glancing blows from a pick or stick, but a direct shot has nowhere to go but right to a bone. I'm with you on shot blockers, I don't know why they aren't a standard in the league with how prevalent shot blocking has become.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I've got some newer skates, and buy them for my sons. They are WAY more protective than the old ones.

I had some ankle guards when I played(Dman), but felt that they impaired my skating, so I'd cheat and leave them off till I cracked an ankle, then back on they'd go.

Players block shots much more now than they ever used to, though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've got some newer skates, and buy them for my sons. They are WAY more protective than the old ones.

I had some ankle guards when I played(Dman), but felt that they impaired my skating, so I'd cheat and leave them off till I cracked an ankle, then back on they'd go.

Players block shots much more now than they ever used to, though.

I do as well... but as I said without padding to absorb the energy, the hard surface just transfers it directly to the bone, there is no way to dissipate the energy.

For you and me it's not an issue, we're not facing 80-100mph slap shots. NHL players do, and that's where it's a problem.

The other day while we were playing the Bruins I had another game on flashback that I was switching to on Center Ice, I think it was the Jets/Stars - could be a different one, but one of the D-men in that game blocked a shot on the side of the foot - he had shot blockers on his skates and his foot absolutely was saved from being broken, as the shot actually broke the shot blocker in half!

That shot directly on the boot, the player would have been out for a couple months easy!

Instead, he was able to finish his shift without issue other than dragging the shot blocker remnants while finishing said shift.

Think of it like this... the boot is actually like a ball in Newton's cradle. It doesn't move at all, but the energy from the ball hitting it transfers directly to the ball on the other side with very little energy lost. In this case though it's a puck hitting it, and it's the bone taking the energy on the other side.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I do as well... but as I said without padding to absorb the energy, the hard surface just transfers it directly to the bone, there is no way to dissipate the energy.

For you and me it's not an issue, we're not facing 80-100mph slap shots. NHL players do, and that's where it's a problem.

The other day while we were playing the Bruins I had another game on flashback that I was switching to on Center Ice, I think it was the Jets/Stars - could be a different one, but one of the D-men in that game blocked a shot on the side of the foot - he had shot blockers on his skates and his foot absolutely was saved from being broken, as the shot actually broke the shot blocker in half!

That shot directly on the boot, the player would have been out for a couple months easy!

Instead, he was able to finish his shift without issue other than dragging the shot blocker remnants while finishing said shift.

Think of it like this... the boot is actually like a ball in Newton's cradle. It doesn't move at all, but the energy from the ball hitting it transfers directly to the ball on the other side with very little energy lost. In this case though it's a puck hitting it, and it's the bone taking the energy on the other side.

This, basically. I've got decent, newer skates as well, and while they're... harder than my old leather Bauers, they're not really much more protective, because that's not their primary purpose. Skates today are built to be light and sturdy, but there's really nothing in the way of padding to protect your foot. You're spot on here too that the issue isn't, well, an issue for most rec-leaguers, as we aren't typically playing against guys who can rip 90mph shots without thinking about it. In the NHL though, pretty much everybody shoots this fast, AND you're supposed to jump in front of it when they do :amazed:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I fully expect to Parise break down totally at some point. At that point, we can just put him to LTIR and we get cap relief.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I fully expect to Parise break down totally at some point. At that point, we can just put him to LTIR and we get cap relief.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he has some type of fusion surgery on his back that takes him out for the year and they do put him on LTIR. Would definitely help the team out.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he has some type of fusion surgery on his back that takes him out for the year and they do put him on LTIR. Would definitely help the team out.

I've got a welder. Just let me at him during a deep sleep and we can sign or trade for any 1st line forward we want. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->