You are NHL GM...who would you rather have:

Zach Parise

or

Chris Higgins
Anton Babchuk
Ryan Kesler
Christian Ehorff
Dmitri Patzhold

Are you asking if i'd rather have Parise or that entire group of players? If so, i take the group no questions asked...its not even close.

Vic Rattlehead*

Not even close. I would take the group, no questions asked.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
La-La-Laprise said:
Parise has much higher offensive upside.
... but higgins overall play is better. so, to answer your question, anyone who choose's Parise over all of these great prospects thinks that Parise is the next Gretsky. or else no one will choose Parise

( sorry for my spelling)

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Marcel the great! said:
... but higgins overall play is better.

I wouldn't say that, Parise is known for having a 2-way game, despite being a highly skilled offensive player with 1st line upside. Higgins on the other hand probably has 3rd line upside.

The group as a whole is worth more than Parise, but I think Parise is the best player out of all those listed.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Marcel the great! said:
... but higgins overall play is better. so, to answer your question, anyone who choose's Parise over all of these great prospects thinks that Parise is the next Gretsky. or else no one will choose Parise

( sorry for my spelling)

I actually have Parise in my FHL league and was offered those 5 players.

But Higgins isnt more complete. Parise is underrated defensivly. He has better hockey sense than Higgins, higher skill level and is a better skater.

Higgins projects to 3rd line...Parise 1st.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Postman said:
I wouldn't say that, Parise is known for having a 2-way game, despite being a highly skilled offensive player with 1st line upside. Higgins on the other hand probably has 3rd line upside.

The group as a whole is worth more than Parise, but I think Parise is the best player out of all those listed.

3rd line upside?? Perhaps i'm delusional, but i'd been under the impression that Higgins has 1st line upside and projects to be at least a 2nd line center.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Higgins play improvements over the year in Hamilton have certainly show that the upside for more than a 3rd liner is easily there. No way the upside is a 3rd liner.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
1st liners are 70 pt players....he isnt that.

At worst hes 3rd line..at best he can play some 2nd...i cant see him being more than a 50 point guy. Kind of like a John Madden.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Chris Higgins isn't close to Parise to me.

However, that group of players...definitely 100% over Parise.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Mountie said:
Chris Higgins isn't close to Parise to me.

However, that group of players...definitely 100% over Parise.

True...Higgins will probably not be a 1st liner. He will probably be a good 2nd line or an exellent third line player. Parise can become a decent 1st line player or an exellent 2nd line player...So, to say that Higgins is close to Parise is false. He's not far from him, but not close either.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Freaky Habs Fan said:
True...Higgins will probably not be a 1st liner. He will probably be a good 2nd line or an exellent third line player. Parise can become a decent 1st line player or an exellent 2nd line player...So, to say that Higgins is close to Parise is false. He's not far from him, but not close either.

Parise has the potential to become more than a decent first liner.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
That's not even fair.

The group.

that might be the reaction at first look, but there are other questions that need to be asked.....

i'm in a FHL as well, and know that at this time of year, u gotta shave your team down for protection issues (upcoming drafts - waiver and entry) and therefore, usually look to grab the best player available in a deal.... if the rest of your team is solid, and u believe that parise could be a 70-80 point player, then maybe it is a good move, but if your team isnt deep, or u dont have to get rid of players due to a waiver draft where u'd lose some (by not being able to protect them) then of course, taking the group over parise would be a no-brainer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
La-La-Laprise said:
I actually have Parise in my FHL league and was offered those 5 players.

But Higgins isnt more complete. Parise is underrated defensivly. He has better hockey sense than Higgins, higher skill level and is a better skater.

Higgins projects to 3rd line...Parise 1st.

I don't agree, I think Higgins is the better skater, but I've seen Higgins a lot more then Parise. I think they both play the same type game with Parise having more skill and Higgins more smarts. Both are top notched prospects imo, and Higgins could be a 1st line player with his base of skills. Good speed, skating, shot, hard working, smart, sound positional play and a decent frame. I think Higgins is the Habs top all round prospect and a safest bet to be productitive with the Habs.

He had 2 very good years at Yale, 2 good years at the wjc's, good rookie season in Hamilton this year, was 6th in rookie scoring in the AHL despite a head injury and going from 29 games a year to a 82+ game schedule.

southpaw

Dec 31, 2003
montreal said:
I don't agree, I think Higgins is the better skater, but I've seen Higgins a lot more then Parise. I think they both play the same type game with Parise having more skill and Higgins more smarts. Both are top notched prospects imo, and Higgins could be a 1st line player with his base of skills. Good speed, skating, shot, hard working, smart, sound positional play and a decent frame. I think Higgins is the Habs top all round prospect and a safest bet to be productitive with the Habs.

He had 2 very good years at Yale, 2 good years at the wjc's, good rookie season in Hamilton this year, was 6th in rookie scoring in the AHL despite a head injury and going from 29 games a year to a 82+ game schedule.

I've spent the past two years watching Parise play at the University of North Dakota and he has been absolutely amazing in every aspect of the game. Unlike what a lot of people on here think, Parise is more of an all around player and a playmaker, not a natural scorer. yes, he can definitely bury the puck, but he will be pretty even in assists and goals, if not more dishes than scores.

I don't think there has been anyone in the NCAAs who is more hockey-smart or a better skater than Parise. He has the speed and has spent the past two years with at least one player draped on his back constantly. His legs are constantly going and he always knows where the other team will try to go to. The big difference between Parise and a lot of other naturally skilled offensive players is that Zach is always the first forward back on D. He is great offensively but its his defense that makes him the great player he is. Without it, he would just be a great setup man. With it, he is the best all-around player out of college in a very long time.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
southpaw said:
I've spent the past two years watching Parise play at the University of North Dakota and he has been absolutely amazing in every aspect of the game. Unlike what a lot of people on here think, Parise is more of an all around player and a playmaker, not a natural scorer. yes, he can definitely bury the puck, but he will be pretty even in assists and goals, if not more dishes than scores.

I don't think there has been anyone in the NCAAs who is more hockey-smart or a better skater than Parise. He has the speed and has spent the past two years with at least one player draped on his back constantly. His legs are constantly going and he always knows where the other team will try to go to. The big difference between Parise and a lot of other naturally skilled offensive players is that Zach is always the first forward back on D. He is great offensively but its his defense that makes him the great player he is. Without it, he would just be a great setup man. With it, he is the best all-around player out of college in a very long time.

Southpaw, what's your opinion of Drew Stafford?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
montreal said:
I think they both play the same type game with Parise having more skill and Higgins more smarts.

It looks to me like Parise has better skill AND better smarts. In fact, I would be more inclined to believe the other poster who said Parise was one of the smartest in the NCAA.

montreal said:
Higgins could be a 1st line player with his base of skills. Good speed, skating, shot, hard working, smart, sound positional play and a decent frame. I think Higgins is the Habs top all round prospect and a safest bet to be productitive with the Habs.

He is indeed a pretty safe bet but if he ever gets regular first line center duty, the Habs will be one thin team at center. He ain't cut for it.

He might however shine in a system where 3 -4 lines get pretty much equal ice time. It's funny that this thread mentions Parise (a NJ prospect) because Higgins would definitly fit very well with the Devils and their philosophy.

I think he is a good prospect to have but I don't see much upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->