Zach Parise’s future outlook.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
It looks like the back surgery was successful because Parise looks better than he has in years. This thread hasn't aged well.

The Wild may be in cap hell someday because of that contract, but that day isn't today.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm starting to realise..

How often do huge UFA signings ever pan out?

Hossa is one of the only ones that come to mind.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
He's not particularly skilled, he's a grinder/hustler type. That doesn't bode well given his injuries. One of several horrific contracts on the Wild.

So “several” would be like what...4 or 5?? Can you rank them for us, because at first blush, it appears you don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
This season, first 15 games or so are basically catching up to the rest of the league after rehab. He’s on the wrong side of 30, so the trend isn’t good, but I wouldn’t look at the pts/gm as the measure this season due to the surgery.

First 20 games after rehab: 3 goals, 7 pts
Last 18 games: 9 goals, 14 pts.

Last edited:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Sad that he has fallen off a cliff so much the last 5+ years. There was a time he looked like he was going to be a franchise caliber superstar. That ship has definitely long-since sailed, but he has been hot lately and maybe he can still be a good top-6 guy for the Wild for a year or two. Look at what Staal is doing for them, and he was left for dead 2 years ago by not one but to teams.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
This season, first 15 games or so are basically catching up to the rest of the league after rehab. He’s on the wrong side of 30, so the trend isn’t good, but I wouldn’t look at the pts/gm as the measure this season due to the surgery.

First 20 games after rehab: 3 goals, 7 pts
Last 18 games: 9 goals, 14 pts.

Let's add some more context. 3 of those last 9 goals are empty-netters, 2 of them with two-goal leads. Great for the stats. Meant little to nothing on the outcome of the game.

Also, since he's now knocked the rust off, he has a nice advantage over other players since he's much fresher having played half the games. 11 meaningful points in 18 games isn't lighting it up, particularly with a slow start and now having a built-in energy advantage.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He still has the shot and the hands, otherwise he's pretty much close to done.
Sad that he has fallen off a cliff so much the last 5+ years. There was a time he looked like he was going to be a franchise caliber superstar. That ship has definitely long-since sailed, but he has been hot lately and maybe he can still be a good top-6 guy for the Wild for a year or two. Look at what Staal is doing for them, and he was left for dead 2 years ago by not one but to teams.
Why not try to think, or research even a little bit before you post?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Why not try to think, or research even a little bit before you post?
Err... I get why you might not buy what the other guy is saying, but did I say something incorrect here? Parise has definitely declined over the past half-decade and is 33 so him being a superstar again seems unlikely (I thought he was going to be a perennial ppg+ player in 2010). Him making a comeback and being a solid top-6 winger (thinking 50-55 points here if healthy over a season) seems quite possible though. Not ever veteran will have an Eric Staal caliber comeback after being left on the scrap-heap, but Parise is still talented and is a position where he can play a complementary role on a fairly veteran laden team and still get good minutes. I think he will do ok, but I don't think he will be making future all-star teams.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Empty net goals aren’t important until you miss one and the other team scores.

I’m fine with how he’s playing right now; not super pumped about it, but it’s giving me a little bit of reason for optimism.

Reactions: 2Pair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad