Zach Hyman Or Josh Anderson?

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I were talking right now, I would take Hyman. Cant argue with his recent success. Anderson needs to show another season of consistency. It is close though, stop with this "easily" garbage.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Anderson, hands down lol

Hyman is a great worker and all, and would take him on the Habs too, but this is an easy answer.

Anderson is a tier above Hyman IMO
The contract is kind of disgusting but this year at least, it's worth it

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I really cant see how this isnt Hyman. Hyman is outproducing Anderson by a solid amount, and we all know what Hyman does outside of scoring. I just cant see a justifiable argument for Anderson, other than the novelty of him being a big power forward. He is an inferior hockey player.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Weird, how the contract doesn't come up in this comparison?

I''ll help everyone
Play: Anderson>=Hyman
with contracts: Anderson<<<<<Hyman

That's how its done?
i'd save the contract talk until we see Hymans new deal this offseason.

but yeah i find it weird how there is always contract talk unless it favors a Leaf who has a good contract.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Zach Hyman is a better player than Anderson lol. Anderson sometimes forgets how to play hockey because he's too busy looking for big hits.

He tried hard to hit Matthews, Marner etc last game and all he got was air.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I really cant see how this isnt Hyman. Hyman is outproducing Anderson by a solid amount, and we all know what Hyman does outside of scoring. I just cant see a justifiable argument for Anderson, other than the novelty of him being a big power forward. He is an inferior hockey player.

I think Anderson's a better pure goal scorer (ie. better shot), and I think he's got that rare thing going for him where he's one of the few actual powerforwards left in hockey (ie. big guy who can skate and hit) to go along with his goal scoring touch.

Where Hyman has the edge is pretty much everywhere else. He's more consistent, more hard working, is better along the boards, better on the forecheck, more of a nuisance in front of the opposition net, etc.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think Anderson's a better pure goal scorer (ie. better shot), and I think he's got that rare thing going for him where he's one of the few actual powerforwards left in hockey (ie. big guy who can skate and hit) to go along with his goal scoring touch.

Where Hyman has the edge is pretty much everywhere else. He's more consistent, more hard working, is better along the boards, better on the forecheck, more of a nuisance in front of the opposition net, etc.
yeah i think Anderson is being glorified in the fact he is a rare type of player. but that shouldnt lead to overvaluation. which looks like the case here.

Hyman really took the next step offensively. played to a 59 point pace last year and playing to a 63 point pace this year. over 82 games obviously.

Anderson for reference is playing to a 44 point pace. there is a clear offensive gap. and he doesnt make up for it in other areas of the game. i think Hyman is the more useful player away from the puck at that.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Anderson is better offensively in that he generates his offense with lesser linemates and teammates. He also brings that physical power forward aspect that is pretty rare these days.
Hyman is a heck of a player as well and has better D.
On balance I’d take Anderson because he has a rarer skill set.

Last edited:
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
yeah i think Anderson is being glorified in the fact he is a rare type of player. but that shouldnt lead to overvaluation. which looks like the case here.

Hyman really took the next step offensively. played to a 59 point pace last year and playing to a 63 point pace this year. over 82 games obviously.

Anderson for reference is playing to a 44 point pace. there is a clear offensive gap. and he doesnt make up for it in other areas of the game. i think Hyman is the more useful player away from the puck at that.

I don't think it's fair to talk about that gap without addressing the gulf in quality of line mates. Hyman improves everyone around him but I think Anderson can drive the offence on his own a bit more. I would like to see Anderson add more net front to his game, and Hyman will always have the clear edge on D

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Anderson has a better shot, I don't see anyway he's a better player currently though. Strange poll results.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I voted for Hyman easily, but I do think team playing styles and line mates come into a play juuuuuust a little bit when comparing raw numbers.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's better?

Faster and more talented?

Hyman would be awesome too on the Habs but nobody is trading Anderson for Hyman 1 for 1 lol
I agree. Anderson is the superior player and the poll results pretty much reflect that even with the large contingent of Leaf fans voting. But I’m not a fan of Anderson’s contract which I think makes the choice more difficult.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I agree. Anderson is the superior player and the poll results pretty much reflect that. But I’m not a fan of Anderson’s contract which I think makes the choice more difficult.

The contract is bad. That's for sure lol

I hope that it will be worth it at the end (nothing to complain about after Year 1) but it could become horrible in the future

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He's better?

Faster and more talented?

Hyman would be awesome too on the Habs but nobody is trading Anderson for Hyman 1 for 1 lol
bolded is not an argument. because nobody knows that and its not supported by anything outside your head.

you keep saying things like "he's better" and "more talented", but how exactly? he is being significantly outproduced. i think all he has going for him is his physicality. he doesnt bring more to the game overall however.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
bolded is not an argument. because nobody knows that and its not supported by anything outside your head.

you keep saying things like "he's better" and "more talented", but how exactly? he is being significantly outproduced. i think all he has going for him is his physicality. he doesnt bring more to the game overall however.

He's out produced because he's on a better team?
Almost 2 person against 1 voted that way on this poll lol
You're in a minority.
Most people see the same thing.
Anderson can change a game by himself.
Hyman is good when you have people to make the plays for him.
Even with the ugly contract, Anderson wouldn't be traded 1 for 1.

Deal with it bro

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He's out produced because he's on a better team?
Almost 2 person against 1 voted that way on this poll lol
You're in a minority.
Most people see the same thing.
Anderson can change a game by himself.
Hyman is good when you have people to make the plays for him.
Even with the ugly contract, Anderson wouldn't be traded 1 for 1.

Deal with it bro
i'm getting "source: trust me bro" vibes with all these unbackable statements.

i would like an argument rather than pointing me to the poll results.

the bolded bugged me the most. Hyman is the exact opposite. he makes any line he plays on better. he isnt "carried" by our offensive stars, he is the "glue" per say and helps the stars as much as vise versa.

and stop referencing a hypothetical trade as if its an argument. it really means absolutely nothing. whats stopping me from saying the exact same thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad