Zach Hyman appreciation thread

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
nah AJ is a perfect fit imo. does a bit of everything and can create on his own. Auston and Willy are great on the boards already.

It's not that they are bad at the boards(both guys are very strong and hard to move off the puck once they actually get the puck and start the cycle)..It's that AJ is on that line as the player who is supposed to be always first to the puck(and you see this almost every play they make). I don't know what the possession numbers are for that line but they don't seem to have the puck for very long and what i notice is that when AJ goes in to retrieve the puck, he rarely comes up with it so usually it's the other team coming out of the zone fairly easily and then we're defending instead of cycling in their end. It's why most of us have been saying(including you i believe) that the line isn't working very well and the only reason it's working right now is the amount of work that Willy and Auston are putting in(what will happen during games when it's not so wide open?). As soon as the other 2(Willy and Matty) start even slacking a bit, that line will be useless because Johnsson is basically Brown with higher scoring ability.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
EE0F3C56-7783-4EF2-B50B-F0142E75542A.jpeg
Hyman is electric this year

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
All the hockey boards have finally laid off the guy, good to see. He has really become a much better player.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Hyman is the stark plug of this team that gets it going.

His energy effect on whatever line he plays on should be apparent by now to people. I said this two years ago and still stands true. It is hard to take a shift off with Hyman on your line because it shows more because of how hard he is working. This is part of the reason he was "stapled" to Matthews/Nylander. It was to help keep their effort honest on the ice. No way they wanted Hyman to outshine them. It's funny, the two years he played with Matthews, there was little talk of Matthews as looking lazy. Hard work by a player can be infectious on a team/line.

Reactions: mclaren55 and Rogie

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Me slagging on Hyman officially died last year when he played the way he did in the playoffs. I am a fan and I am glad everyone else seems to have come around. It is pretty fascinating though how Brown and Hyman have seemed to develop in the exact opposite way.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
So ol' Zack missed his chance at EN Goal 7 last night. Running out of time to get to the record. Probably needs 2 EN goals in a game to have a realistic chance.

Seriously though, congrats Hyms on your 20th last night. Way to silence your critics around here too I've seen quite a few people change their opinion this year. We're about to see playoff Hyman soon. That dog on a bone mentality needs to be contagious if we are to have any chance vs. the Bs.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Me slagging on Hyman officially died last year when he played the way he did in the playoffs. I am a fan and I am glad everyone else seems to have come around. It is pretty fascinating though how Brown and Hyman have seemed to develop in the exact opposite way.

I think it is more that many underrated Hyman and overrated Brown than due to development. Not like that goes on much around here.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think it is more that many underrated Hyman and overrated Brown than due to development. Not like that goes on much around here.:sarcasm:
The same ones going on about him being 'Babcocks son' have moved on to 'Egobabcock' or whatever childish names they come up with.
Seems like progress, they are much easier to ignore.

RLF

May 5, 2014
The same ones going on about him being 'Babcocks son' have moved on to 'Egobabcock' or whatever childish names they come up with.

You can see why it makes no sense to play your hardest worker with young stars though as many thought. Would have been better just to load up Matthews, Nylander, Marner on the same line from the start and just hope they play the right way.

Not.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I feel like his effort has definitely gone down but his offensive awareness has gone up. I see him half ass on plays in the defensive end 5 vs 5 from time to time and it surprises me. Might just be me though in noticing this and I might be wrong. He’s a fairly clutch player though and glad he’s a leaf.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I loved the Name calling as it showed me just who’s opinion to ignore. Why anyone watching the Leafs would not like Hyman and his contribution to the team is a head scratcher. He deserved to play in the top 6 since he got here. People still say he should not be in the top 6 as they self identify them selfs as lacking in an understanding of what you need to make a good line/team. We need a couple of more Hymans.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I loved the Name calling as it showed me just who’s opinion to ignore. Why anyone watching the Leafs would not like Hyman and his contribution to the team is a head scratcher. He deserved to play in the top 6 since he got here. People still say he should not be in the top 6 as they self identify them selfs as lacking in an understanding of what you need to make a good line/team. We need a couple of more Hymans.

The odd part to me is, it is typically the same people who say... you don't trade talent, you pay your stars/talent and then surround them with cheaper complementary players. Well, isn't that EXACTLY what Hyman is. How do you get better production for only $2.25M AND will do all the dirty work happily AND he kills penalties AND is on the ice when protecting a lead. Who else will do all that and be as good at it for $2.25M?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The odd part to me is, it is typically the same people who say... you don't trade talent, you pay your stars/talent and then surround them with cheaper complementary players. Well, isn't that EXACTLY what Hyman is. How do you get better production for only $2.25M AND will do all the dirty work happily AND he kills penalties AND is on the ice when protecting a lead. Who else will do all that and be as good at it for $2.25M?

Well Johnsson will not that’s for sure and sadly he is going to get paid more. Johnsson has pull the chute several times in the last few games and it is very concerning that he is doing this at this point in the season. Last night he did it 2 times, once he almost came to a complete stop allowing the D man to pass him. Let’s hope this is the result of him being banged up a little and not him being fearful of getting hurt.

Jun 27, 2005

5v5 adjusted
Tavares GF% without Hyman 56.7%
Hyman GF% without Tavares 25.8%

nuff said

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Anyone else who would like to see Hyman grow a goatee or a full beard? Think his game could really benefit from some kind of facial hair. Would add some intesity to him for sure which could help in the playoffs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I have noticed that Hyman is improving on his strength in the corners and winning puck battles .. I feel like before he would just engage and try to disrupt the defender from making a clean breakout. Now he's winning more puck battles.

Still lacks puck skills but not much to complain this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->