Zach Hyman appreciation thread

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
That is almost exactly the opposite of how I would describe him.

I appreciate his effort but he's a glorified grinder being dragged along by Marner and Tavares.
Grinders is what the team needs. There are enough skill only players and that is why he is so appreciated on the team and around the league.

RLF

May 5, 2014
9th on the team in scoring
6th in EV goals among forwards
5th in EV assists among forwards
1st in hits by a wide margin among forwards

Cap hit-$2.25M per for 2 more seasons.

He has some of the best production per dollar there is for guys not on ELC's. Very underrated for what he brings, especially for what he gets paid. You know he is not disappearing in the playoffs...he tends to even be better. Could use some more contracts with value like that.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Going to appreciate his game, thank him for his time, and walk away from him in 2021.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Babcock in this off season will travel the world in search of a factory that makes more Hymans
Star Wars - Attack of the Clones plot!!!
But you know if Babcock had the choice of 24 Hymans roster or the current roster - I am sure he would ice the Hymans!!!

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
A good heart and soul, meat and potatoes kinda player who seems respected in the room good for 15-20/15-20 a year, a great forechecking component that compliments a skilled line.

Happy to have him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Never hated any Leafs player.
For one, they made and play in the NHL. I didn't. I am just a knob end posting on an Internet site.

Your a nicer man than me

I watch Zaitsev and Gardiner together and I can feel the rage rising, it's like there trying to give me a stroke

Nothing wrong with being a knob end on the internet, if you can't go on the internet with zero knowledge and give a wildly uninformed opinion I don't know why we'd have it

Reactions: IPS

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Everyone hated him. Now everyone loves him.

People would like to see his usage correspond to his ability.

He's the greatest 3rd line guy ever.

During the season, i don't care if he plays 1st line.

I will say one thing, he teaches his teammates that hard work is the Key to Babcock's heart.

I'm not sure anyone is listening mind you.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He's the greatest 3rd line guy ever.

Imagine Hyman on the 3rd line, and on right wing.
He would not be expected to finish off plays from Matthews or tavares/marner.
He would be a very good shut down guy forechecking the heck out of the other teams' top line.
On right wing his lack of skill wouldn't be so obvious because he wouldn't be on his backhand all the time.

He would be one of the most popular leafs ever with that tenacity and work ethic.

And no one would be complaining about him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Everyone hated him. Now everyone loves him.
Not quite.

The people who don't really understand hockey hated him,and now they love him, but for the wrong reasons.

The people who understand hockey like him, for the right reasons.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Your a nicer man than me

I watch Zaitsev and Gardiner together and I can feel the rage rising, it's like there trying to give me a stroke

Nothing wrong with being a knob end on the internet, if you can't go on the internet with zero knowledge and give a wildly uninformed opinion I don't know why we'd have it

Don't get me wrong I get pissed as much as the next guy at some players. However I grew up knowing if I couldn't do better keep my gob shut.
I actually haven't minded Z lately.

I pretty much try and keep my cool on the internet. I only visit 2 forums this being one of them. But you never know who you will run into in life. I have met a few people from the other I use.
All good experiences tho.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Don't get me wrong I get pissed as much as the next guy at some players. However I grew up knowing if I couldn't do better keep my gob shut.

I pretty much try and keep my cool on the internet. I only visit 2 forums this being one of them. But you never know who you will run into in life. I have met a few people from the other I use.
You and Kiwi need to get together for some pints. After all, you are two of a kind. The only two NZ Leafs' fans in existence.

Aren't you guys right around the block from each other?:laugh:

Reactions: slozo

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
You and Kiwi need to get together for some pints. After all, you are two of a kind. The only two NZ Leafs' fans in existence.

Aren't you guys right around the block from each other?:laugh:
About 800km and 20 kms of ocean in between.
If the Leafs are ever looking like going on a serious cup run I dare say we will be on a plane together and that is all we will remember till we have to come home. :naughty:

Reactions: slozo and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's definitely better with Muzzin, not worth his contract good but much closer to the 4.5M, I played pro sports, getting pilloried by armchair fans is part of the job description

I love watching crazies on the internet, keeps life interesting
This is the only one I talk to other people on though

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
When I was 16 I was told I could go places with Rugby.
Joined the military and played while in there but it was blaringly obvious I wasn't that flash. I was a 5'11" 95kg openside flanker competing with men mountains that were a lot more skilled and faster.
Now I am slightly shorter and lighter.
I still compete, all be it averagely in a sport at 50 yrs of age.
Have travelled overseas a lot with it in the past but now just enjoy being somewhat competitive. My only critics are myself coz no one else cares :D

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
How does Trevor Moore compare to Hyman really? I think I want to see Hyman on a serious shut down line from now on with Naz and more move up in the grinding role.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-Petan-Brown

Reactions: Tmart335 and ToMaLe

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
When I was 16 I was told I could go places with Rugby.
Joined the military and played while in there but it was blaringly obvious I wasn't that flash. I was a 5'11" 95kg openside flanker competing with men mountains that were a lot more skilled and faster.
Now I am slightly shorter and lighter.
I still compete, all be it averagely in a sport at 50 yrs of age.
Have travelled overseas a lot with it in the past but now just enjoy being somewhat competitive. My only critics are myself coz no one else cares :D

I wasn't great but I was able to play pro rugby in Ireland, Scotland, the North of England, Portugal, Russia and Wales
Had a couple of tours through Eastern Europe as well with a New Zealand residents team so I can't complain to much

I remember some things being yelled and written about me so my tolerance level for poor play and guys on teams I support is probably lower than it should be, I can get a bit emotional as well which doesn't help trying to stay level headed

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
I wasn't great but I was able to play pro rugby in Ireland, Scotland, the North of England, Portugal, Russia and Wales
Had a couple of tours through Eastern Europe as well with a New Zealand residents team so I can't complain to much

I remember some things being yelled and written about me so my tolerance level for poor play and guys on teams I support is probably lower than it should be, I can get a bit emotional as well which doesn't help trying to stay level headed
Did you play super rugby here?
Never mind, I wouldn't admit playing for the Canes even if I did:sarcasm:
Yeah I am a one eyed Crusaders supporter :DD

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Did you play super rugby here?
Never mind, I wouldn't admit playing for the Canes even if I did:sarcasm:
Yeah I am a one eyed Crusaders supporter :DD

I made the Hurricanes U19 team right at the start of super rugby

I wasn't good enough to get to the upper echelons so I went overseas for 15 years, had a lot of fun and saw a lot of stuff even though I wasn't anything special

Reactions: Rogie

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
I made the Hurricanes U19 team right at the start of super rugby

I wasn't good enough to get to the upper echelons so I went overseas for 15 years, had a lot of fun and saw a lot of stuff even though I wasn't anything special

Still pretty friggen good mate. Let's face it, Super Rugby is one good season away from the best Rugby team in the world. (Even if it is the Canes:sarcasm:)

Reactions: Rogie and Kiwi

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If we can get him signed for something similar to what he has right now 2.25, after cap% adjusted would probably be close to 3.. I wouldn't mind him sticking around. He gets a lot of flak but for sure he is a winner.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
While Babcock gets a lot of credit for his development of Rielly and Kadri, turning Hyman into a good mucker might be his most impressive feat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->