Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Actually, the vast majority of the posters just wanted Hyman detached from Matthews' hip but Babcock refused to do it. Funny how those posters were right - Matthews looks fantastic and even Hyman looks better. Small sample size and all but it seems for now that change was long overdue.
To add to what @IBeL34f said, those posters also said he deserved to be on the 4th line.
Also, this is Hymans 3rd year in the NHL, he's supposed to get better as is Matthew's marner and hopefully nylander when he gets back

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Actually, the vast majority of the posters just wanted Hyman detached from Matthews' hip but Babcock refused to do it. Funny how those posters were right - Matthews looks fantastic and even Hyman looks better. Small sample size and all but it seems for now that change was long overdue.
Well guess why, we didn't have JT last year. Let's not act like Hyman was dragging down Matthew's last year particularly in the playoffs and AM didn't work hard during the summer

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
Well guess why, we didn't have JT last year. Let's not act like Hyman was dragging down Matthew's last year particularly in the playoffs and AM didn't work hard during the summer
I would argue that Hyman was absolutely dragging Matthews down. He consistently didn't convert on the high danger chances he was given. By the end of the year it seemed that teams were keying in on Matthews and Nylander since they didn't have to worry about Hyman at all.
Anyways, the point was that Babcock was apparently brilliant for stapling him to Matthews hip and that no one else could fill that role. Most people argued that others could play that spot better and it appears Kapanen is doing quite well, while providing another legitimate threat.

Being that this is a Hyman appreciation thread, I will say that I love his hustle and energy, and does a good job on the penalty kill. I'm happy to have him on the team, but also happy hes' off Matthews' line

Reactions: smitty10

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I would argue that Hyman was absolutely dragging Matthews down. He consistently didn't convert on the high danger chances he was given. By the end of the year it seemed that teams were keying in on Matthews and Nylander since they didn't have to worry about Hyman at all.
Anyways, the point was that Babcock was apparently brilliant for stapling him to Matthews hip and that no one else could fill that role. Most people argued that others could play that spot better and it appears Kapanen is doing quite well, while providing another legitimate threat.

Being that this is a Hyman appreciation thread, I will say that I love his hustle and energy, and does a good job on the penalty kill. I'm happy to have him on the team, but also happy hes' off Matthews' line

Yea.. Hyman isn't a bad player at all, but I agree that Matthews seems to be performing better without him. Maybe it's because Marleau, and Kapanen are good puck retrievers in their own right? Would Matthews be as successful if Nylander was on his line instead of Nylander. Hard to say... Nylander wants the puck himself, and he likes to slow the puck down and not cycle. It will be interesting when/if he returns.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Don't believe anyone ever said that - Pretty sure people just said he contributed solidly in the role he was given for his skillset, and that the decision to play him there worked for that line (which it did) while allowing us to spread out our offensive firepower (which it did).

Many of those who supported Hyman (and Babcock's decision to play him where he does) were fully capable of seeing that other, more talented players could be put in Hyman's position and mesh well with Matthews, but simply understood the thought process of the coach and were fine with having one of the top 5v5 lines in the entire League.

And again, Hyman is still playing on a top line. It's not like he's been demoted or anything, thus proving that he's truly nothing more than a worthless scrub - Our team got deeper down the middle and he moved from one top line to another. He's still utilized in exactly the same fashion he was previously, with the same caliber of linemates.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
okay you got me , you didn't say he was irreplaceable on AM's line , you just said there was only one player in the entire league that could replace him lol

but you did endlessly say there's no way anyone could know AM would be productive without Hyman and there was no one on our roster who could replace him on AM line
Close. I used Tkachuk as one example, the one I really wanted.
The second is wrong, I repeatedly stated "it's working really well so why mess with the chemistry" if it ain't broke why fix it. Your counter was always we will never know if it could be better because Babcock never takes Hyman off Mathews wing.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
why bump an appreciation thread ? i guess it's just to drive traffic which is your only objective for being on this board
It's the first one I found
Why would I want to drive traffic? Not sure of what that would be for

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The second is wrong, I repeatedly stated "it's working really well so why mess with the chemistry" if it ain't broke why fix it. Your counter was always we will never know if it could be better because Babcock never takes Hyman off Mathews wing.
no you said Tkachuk was the only player in the NHL that could replace Hyman and we had no one that could replace Hyman on AM's line

two f***ing years of having to listen to you say no one on the roster could replace Hyman on AM's wing and now your reduced to spinning crap try to dig yourself out , that's actually very sad

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
no you said Tkachuk was the only player in the NHL that could replace Hyman and we had no one that could replace Hyman on AM's line

two ****ing years of having to listen to you say no one on the roster could replace Hyman on AM's wing and now your reduced to spinning crap try to dig yourself out , that's actually very sad
Lol I'm glad you're an expert on what I said.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lol I'm glad you're an expert on what I said.
what's the big deal in owning what you said ?

i guess it was all sunshine and roses when you though Hyman would never be moved but then we acquired JT and AM saw his chance to dump the slug , took it and now you're left to spin 2 yrs worth of posts saying how Hyman was major reason AM's line was productive

Reactions: smitty10

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He's overpaid and overplayed for what he brings. Guy is a 4th liner that gets gifted opportunities to play with some of the world's top players and still can't put up points.

Hyman doesn't deserve an 'Appreciation Thread'. He already receives more praise than he's worth from Babcock. Sure, he retrieves pucks and hustles. However, he also gives the puck away in the offensive zone and misses chances on a consistent basis. He's a black hole to his superstar linemates. It's horrible to watch.

All in the name of 'hustle'...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
what's the big deal in owning what you said ?

i guess it was all sunshine and roses when you though Hyman would never be moved but then we acquired JT and AM saw his chance to dump the slug , took it and now you're left to spin 2 yrs worth of posts saying how Hyman was major reason AM's line was productive
I own what I said, you just apparently don't know what I said.
Your way of spinning arguments is childish. If you want to engage in further debate drop the spinning and stick to what's really being said.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hyman has no business playing on a line with any top 6 player in the league. All he will do is bring them down. He is so incredibly overrated for what he brings to the table by Babs and some fans. It's disgusting.

Hyman is a plug. He's a 4th line player with no offensive ability at the NHL level. His style of play would be best suited for the 4th line. Hyman-Gauthier-Leivo would be a solid line that could hem the opposition in their own end and play the boards. If you need him to try to contribute offensively he will continue to fail.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hyman has no business playing on a line with any top 6 player in the league. All he will do is bring them down. He is so incredibly overrated for what he brings to the table by Babs and some fans. It's disgusting.

Hyman is a plug. He's a 4th line player with no offensive ability at the NHL level. His style of play would be best suited for the 4th line. Hyman-Gauthier-Leivo would be a solid line that could hem the opposition in their own end and play the boards. If you need him to try to contribute offensively he will continue to fail.
Last year Hyman produced offensively 5v5, as he got no pp time, equal to guys like Oshie. His production is top 6 equivalent.
Secondly Hyman plays a role on his line and does it extremely well.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last year Hyman produced offensively 5v5, as he got no pp time, equal to guys like Oshie. His production is top 6 equivalent.
Secondly Hyman plays a role on his line and does it extremely well.

Amazed that there are still people who don't appreciate what Hyman brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad