Zach Hamill

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Weird to be hearing about the 2008 draft already, odd to think of it eh?

As far as Hamill goes, I live in Spokane, where we have a US division team, thus we see Everett quite a bit. Zach Hamill the way I see him is a player playing on a line with a defenseman and another 16 year old player. I guess they use it as their 3rd line, but for a kid to put up the numbers he does on that line, he has to be pretty talented.

The first time I saw Hamill was as a 15 year old in the 04 playoffs, where he scored a game winning, series winning OT goal as his first career WHL goal. And for a player I'd consider to be small, it was amazing to see a 15 year old bang in a rebound from about 2 feet in front of the net. I'll be watching for this guy for sure, and I suggest the rest of you do too, I think he's better than 2/3 of the players in the league already.

Also got to see Drayson Bowman a few times this year. Great poise, good size and good vision were my impressions.

On a different note, does anyone have a ranking on Matt McCue?

16 year old D playing for Spokane, '88 B-day...Where will he go in the draft?

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
moosefan said:
ah right on the WHL page for the bantam draft Gillies is born December 2, 89 in which would make him 2008.

on the WHL page they go month/day/year not day/month/year

Here in Canada. The smallest units appear first so it would be day/month/year.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Spetzky said:

1 Prince George Cougars Ryan Kerr D 04-03-89 Lions Bay, BC
2 Saskatoon Blades Colton Gillies C 12-02-89 Surrey, BC
3 Seattle Thunderbirds Thomas Hickey D 02-08-89 Calgary, AB
4 Lethbridge Hurricanes Dwight King C 05-07-89 Meadow Lake, SK
5 Regina Pats Brett Leffler RW 05-19-89 Wynyard, SK
6 Brandon Wheat Kings Red Deer Rebels Brandon Sutter RW 02-04-89 Sylvan Lake, AB
7 Kootenay Ice John Negrin D 03-26-89 West Vancouver, BC

this is the top 7 picks of the WHL draft they list day 2nd like the 7th pick John Negrin 26th is the middles number. They either have it wrong on the WHL page for Gillies being born in December or they have it wrong on his teams website. But in this case it goes month/day/year

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:
Weird to be hearing about the 2008 draft already, odd to think of it eh?

As far as Hamill goes, I live in Spokane, where we have a US division team, thus we see Everett quite a bit. Zach Hamill the way I see him is a player playing on a line with a defenseman and another 16 year old player. I guess they use it as their 3rd line, but for a kid to put up the numbers he does on that line, he has to be pretty talented.

The first time I saw Hamill was as a 15 year old in the 04 playoffs, where he scored a game winning, series winning OT goal as his first career WHL goal. And for a player I'd consider to be small, it was amazing to see a 15 year old bang in a rebound from about 2 feet in front of the net. I'll be watching for this guy for sure, and I suggest the rest of you do too, I think he's better than 2/3 of the players in the league already.

Also got to see Drayson Bowman a few times this year. Great poise, good size and good vision were my impressions.

On a different note, does anyone have a ranking on Matt McCue?

16 year old D playing for Spokane, '88 B-day...Where will he go in the draft?

Well, 1g and 1a for Hamill tonight, including the OT winner to beat the Winter Hawks. Also named 1st star.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
What's with the hype on Gilles? Sure he went second overall in the bantam draft last year but his numbers in the PIJHL this year are just not elite (26 points in 44 games). Is it just because of size and bloodlines or is there some aspect of his game that is really special? It seems to me that the better 15 year old forwards usually put up over a point a game (Hamill, Maxwell and Reese did last year). If he's not scoring in junior B then how will he score in the WHL?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
cagney said:
What's with the hype on Gilles? Sure he went second overall in the bantam draft last year but his numbers in the PIJHL this year are just not elite (26 points in 44 games). Is it just because of size and bloodlines or is there some aspect of his game that is really special? It seems to me that the better 15 year old forwards usually put up over a point a game (Hamill, Maxwell and Reese did last year). If he's not scoring in junior B then how will he score in the WHL?

He will, trust me. The PIJHL may be JR.B but it's still 19/20 year old (mostly) hockey players. Ask anyone in the Saskatoon organization and they will tell you Gillies will be a star at the WHL level.

aknarab

Dec 30, 2004
Seattle
living 20 minutes from Everett... I go to a lot of the games (even though, I don't like the way Everett plays) but I see Hamill a lot. The kid can play, don't get me wrong. He's fast, he gets to the slot, and he can put the puck in the net. He's got the physical game down. He still needs to grow, but the kid needs to work on his mental game and his passing. He made some mental errors at Wednesday nights game, but he made up for them with the GW OT G. I can see him going far in the future, but he needs to work on some things first.

Sticky*

moosefan said:
this is 2007 draft staal is for 2006

Sorry i thought he had a late birthday. Sept 9. I guess he is just barely eligible for the 2006 draft.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Another kid to keep an eye on relative to 2007 is Colton Sceviour. He's a call up playing in Portland right now. Scored his first WHL goal in his second WHL game. Same night he was an assist short of a "Gordie Howe hattrick". He has great hands and has shown great hockey sense and great responsibility defensively for his age. He needs to grow a bit, but I think he could end up as a high draft pick in 07.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Whawks33 said:
Another kid to keep an eye on relative to 2007 is Colton Sceviour. He's a call up playing in Portland right now. Scored his first WHL goal in his second WHL game. Same night he was an assist short of a "Gordie Howe hattrick". He has great hands and has shown great hockey sense and great responsibility defensively for his age. He needs to grow a bit, but I think he could end up as a high draft pick in 07.
I've heard very good things about him. I can see him going atleast top 10. Glad to see that someone finally mentioned Sceviours name. I like his name, too. ;)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Spetzky said:
No. North America goes M/D/Y, Europe (and maybe the rest of the world) goes D/M/Y.

That's the way it's "supposed" to be anyway. So it can often be confusing.

Edit: Maybe Quebec does D/M/Y?

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Whawks33 said:

I was at that game.

He didn't play a whole lot, but I did notice the name being a high pick in the bantam draft, so I was keeping an eye on him. Didn't see a whole lot that looked good, he seemed timid and wouldn't really mix it up until the end of the game, when he scored his goal. Seemed like he had a nose for the net though, which bodes well for Winterhawk fans.

Oh, and that fight he had? I wouldn't call it a fight really, it was after the final buzzer and the player he was scrapping with is Matt McCue, who I've seen get in 2 fights this year, and both of them were 1 punch KOs. I don't think Sceviour wanted anything to do with him, I think he was just going into a scrum and came out with the wrong guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->