Player Discussion Zach Bogosian

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Didnt we trade for Scandella right before or after he had some surgery
He had hip surgery too. Kane was recovering from shoulder surgery when he arrived. Someone needs to tell our GM's that just because they're in the damaged goods bin it doesn't mean they're on sale.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Can someone in the know cheer me up with some stories of NHL players who underwent serious, possibly debilitating surgeries like Bogo has and have come back better than ever?

I'm sure there are some out there but I'm too depressed to search them out...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Can someone in the know cheer me up with some stories of NHL players who underwent serious, possibly debilitating surgeries like Bogo has and have come back better than ever?

ytj6vcp.jpg

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Ullmark had both hips done simultaneously IIRC. Not sure that's a good or bad thing... can't really draw a parallel between skaters and goalies, or between a 20-ish year old and a guy 10 years older.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Reactions: Chainshot

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Prediction: Bogo goes out and plays well. The team starts winning. Eventually we start seeing "when he's healthy, he's pretty good" posts. The organization decides yet again to depend on Bogo for a top 4 role and he remains a Sabre as the trade deadline passes. As the team starts making a playoff push, Bogo tweaks his groin and ends up requiring season ending surgery on an unrelated body part. The Sabres miss the playoffs and draft 8th overall.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Prediction: Bogo goes out and plays well. The team starts winning. Eventually we start seeing "when he's healthy, he's pretty good" posts. The organization decides yet again to depend on Bogo for a top 4 role and he remains a Sabre as the trade deadline passes. As the team starts making a playoff push, Bogo tweaks his groin and ends up requiring season ending surgery on an unrelated body part. The Sabres miss the playoffs and draft 8th overall.

"Bogo is worthless. Why haven't they traded him for a top 6 forward"

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
Shouldn't he go to the Amerks for conditioning?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We can hope he plays well for a short time before getting hurt again, but the extent of his value is only going to vary between 3rd rd pick or a 6th rd pick at the TDL. He's done as a Sabre, and the only way he finishes the season in Buffalo is if he goes on LTIR again. His situation will be very much like Kane's. Kane torpedoed his own trade value with off-ice drama to the point that no GM wanted to have him on the team earlier than the TDL. Bogosian is hurt so often that another GM won't want him before the TDL either. Someone else will have to go before then.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
We can hope he plays well for a short time before getting hurt again, but the extent of his value is only going to vary between 3rd rd pick or a 6th rd pick at the TDL. He's done as a Sabre, and the only way he finishes the season in Buffalo is if he goes on LTIR again. His situation will be very much like Kane's. Kane torpedoed his own trade value with off-ice drama to the point that no GM wanted to have him on the team earlier than the TDL. Bogosian is hurt so often that another GM won't want him before the TDL either. Someone else will have to go before then.

With his cap hit he has very little value UNTIL the TDL. Just too hard to cram onto a roster.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

He torpedoed himself that much that San Jose was like no way, we can't take a risk like Kane on our teambut then after a month and a half of hockey they were like, hot damn here is a contract for the better part of a decade...

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of all the moves people complain about Murray, Broke's acquisition is probably the worst considering his play, his tenure on the team, his health, his contract, and his value around the league.

Reactions: Husko

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Zach wasted the the best part of his career trying to play on 2 bad hips. The surgery is corrective. It doesn't recur. He's still only 29 and should have some good years left.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's such a misnomer though. He hasn't been good, even when healthy, since the year we acquired him.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Of all the moves people complain about Murray, Broke's acquisition is probably the worst considering his play, his tenure on the team, his health, his contract, and his value around the league.
Not to mention the fact that Myers for him was supposed to be an upgrade. That should've been a sign that Murray didn't know how to evaluate defensemen.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's such a misnomer though. He hasn't been good, even when healthy, since the year we acquired him.

I don't think he's ever been healthy since we acquired him. Not much before that either. Guy has just had horrible luck with injuries throughout his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->