Zach Bogosian, the Broken Man

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Omg. Imagine that dcore

Voynov the same draft as well, would have been Doughty-Karlsson-Voynov. There's your 3 RHDs for 15 years :laugh:

Good thing nothing could have gone wrong!

Feel for Bogosian for sure, that top echelon being Doughty-Pietrangelo-Bogosian couldn't have been an easy decision at the time no matter what. Every guy had question marks.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I hope Zach is alright. He was such a specimen of the prospect, but the injuries and lacking IQ really derailed his career.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
The injuries have gotten absurd with Bogo. He's a disappointing #3 overall for sure, but still a decent player when healthy. His hockey IQ is not great, but I think all of the injuries and time off didn't help that aspect of his development either.

In any event, 2008 is still an absolutely incredible draft for defensemen. Probably best ever, no?
Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Myers, Karlsson, Gardiner, Sbisa, Del Zotto, Carlson, Voynov, Josi, Hamonic, Scandella, Brodie, Spurgeon, Demers [btw, that's in order drafted, not best to worst]

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm going lollypop farm valentine's day special...free puppy to the couple that'll take him off our hands....hurry he won't last (literally)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I thought, because of the title, this would be one of those poor me player tribune/the athletic feel sorry for me articles.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Meh, this doesn't really mean much, here is one of the greatest QB's of all time

And like D, it is far more about IQ than it is being an athlete.

But yet a big part of what makes Karlsson so special is his athleticism and skating. Maybe looking at players athleticisims at 17/18 isn't the best indicator of how they'll be at 25/26...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Looks like Bogosian has deleted his tweet to the guy that said "Meanwhile, check out Bogosian's Instagram feed. Lots of fish pics. I predict a 26 game season."

Bogosian's reply was "I️ invite you to come workout with me when im back in Buffalo. If you don’t throw up I’ll buy you season tickets for the year."
Spending so much time in the gym probably doesn't help him with these injuries. It's really hard to maintain good flexibility when you're squatting 400 lbs regularly. There's definitely a happy medium.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But yet a big part of what makes Karlsson so special is his athleticism and skating. Maybe looking at players athleticisims at 17/18 isn't the best indicator of how they'll be at 25/26...

Some of that is insanely hard to predict though. EK looked like he was 120 pounds soaking wet. At a time when the NHL was all about GRITZ, he was fighting an uphill battle in spite of obvious skill. Bogosian was a stud himself PLUS was physically prepared (or, at least, we all thought). I agree with you that it's obviously not so cut and dry though.

Spending so much time in the gym probably doesn't help him with these injuries. It's really hard to maintain good flexibility when you're squatting 400 lbs regularly. There's definitely a happy medium.

Reminds me of when late-career Jarret Stoll turned to yoga rather than just adding more beef. He was still jacked, but probably added a couple of years to his career through flexibility and similar stuff. Wonder if Bogo could adapt.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Looks like Bogosian has deleted his tweet to the guy that said "Meanwhile, check out Bogosian's Instagram feed. Lots of fish pics. I predict a 26 game season."

Bogosian's reply was "I️ invite you to come workout with me when im back in Buffalo. If you don’t throw up I’ll buy you season tickets for the year."

When he was with the Jets he would post videos of workouts that were just lots of weight and poor form. No wonder he's injured all the time. Oh well cool videos and twitter brags over fitness any day.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Lack of IQ, not broken thumbs, is what detailed his career, IMO. Zach Oh-Noesian.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->