Confirmed with Link: Zach Bogosian returns to Tampa Bay | 3 years, $850k AAV

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

28e748_4eb44f2de9ae4b0a8f3b5a3921763613~mv2.gif

Welcome back to the land of boat parades and fun!!!!

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I don't understand the preference to Schenn over Bogosian. I'd even argue Bogosian is a more physical threat since he's mobile enough to stay on top of forwards and deliver checks.

And Bogo has played forward; he could spot fill on the 4th line if we end up short players due to injury.

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
I love this signing. He might be a guy who plays better here than anywhere else.
Someone who I remember that found that out the hard way was Sean Bergenheim. He went to Florida and disappeared after they spent way too much on him based on his performance playing with the Bolts. I hope the Panthers were happy about that.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Enjoy the praise now Zach, if you're a fixture in our top 6 then these folks are gonna be quite disappointed.

Bogo is a perfectly serviceable 7th D. Fine as a fill-in. Arguably better than Schenn, not as good as Rutta.

I actually don’t think this signing is getting enough praise. Bogo is the best defensive partner Hedman has had since Stralman, I don’t think he wins the Smythe without him.

You can throw out ZB’s career stats on this team, he’s really the perfect system defender

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I actually don’t think this signing is getting enough praise. Bogo is the best defensive partner Hedman has had since Stralman, I don’t think he wins the Smythe without him.

You can throw out ZB’s career stats on this team, he’s really the perfect system defender

This perfect system defender was a healthy scratch in four of our six games in the finals, because Rutta came back from injury. To say Hedman needed Bogosian to win the Smythe is nuts.

But I mean sure, throw all that praise at him now, it's the preseason -- the time for dreaming what might be. But the reality is that if he's a fixture in our defensive six, he's not likely to hear much more praise than a Schenn-esque "well, he didn't suck that game".

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I was begging for this a few weeks back. I would take Bogo straight up over Savard. And yet he costs several million less. What a ****** deal. Perfect 5/6 for this team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This perfect system defender was a healthy scratch in four of our six games in the finals, because Rutta came back from injury. To say Hedman needed Bogosian to win the Smythe is nuts.

But I mean sure, throw all that praise at him now, it's the preseason -- the time for dreaming what might be. But the reality is that if he's a fixture in our defensive six, he's not likely to hear much more praise than a Schenn-esque "well, he didn't suck that game".
God I couldn't remember Kevin Shattenkirk was our #6 that season for like five minutes. I kept thinking "Rutta was with Hedman, Cernak with McD.... who was with Sergachev?" and I just couldn't get there.

Anyway - I think he'll be fine with ~13 minutes a night, eat some PK shifts, block some shots. The big thing with him is sometimes he takes himself out of position to be physical in a way that doesn't benefit the team. If he can stay in his lane and block some shots, he'll replace Savard's contributions just fine.

He also has had some health issues so him and Foote can split some time. Hopefully Foote makes him unnecessary (but I think that's becoming increasingly less likely). The best thing about this contract is it's never going to be a bad one.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Rutta went several weeks as a healthy scratch because Bogosian was playing so well that he forced himself into the lineup. The only reason Rutta seen the ice again was because Bogosian probably was injured, we don’t know for sure because Cooper was very cryptic about it. “One of our d were injured”

Oh and yes, Hedman not having to babysit Rutta opened the floodgates for him, no doubt in my mind. He turned into Hedmonster when he was taken off the leash.

The only issue may be his health

Wester

Oct 5, 2020
Hungary
Rutta went several weeks as a healthy scratch because Bogosian was playing so well that he forced himself into the lineup. The only reason Rutta seen the ice again was because Bogosian probably was injured, we don’t know for sure because Cooper was very cryptic about it. “One of our d were injured”

Oh and yes, Hedman not having to babysit Rutta opened the floodgates for him, no doubt in my mind. He turned into Hedmonster when he was taken off the leash.

The only issue may be his health
I remember Bogo playing like a moron in game 1, then immediately getting scratched for the next game. I agree that thinking Hedman needed Bogo to become that good is a joke. He was that good before his injury this year too.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I remember Bogo playing like a moron in game 1, then immediately getting scratched for the next game. I agree that thinking Hedman needed Bogo to become that good is a joke. He was that good before his injury this year too.

I did not say Hedman needed Bogo to be "that good", nice strawman. The fact is Rutta hadn't played since January, Cooper isn't such an idiot to throw Rutta into the lineup unless Bogo was injured after one bad game.

Hedman was able to play a more aggressive game thanks to Bogosian being a more defensively responsible and mobile defender than Rutta, Schenn, or whatever other musical chair defender Cooper paired him with to that point. You could see the difference in Hedmans play immediately, and that extra gear offensively was enough to win the Smythe over Point. I've watched just about every game Hedman has played since entering the league and the last time he played like that 5v5 was when he had Stralman as a partner. Coincidence? Believe what you want, but I don't get the fascination of Rutta as the better choice except recency bias.

Let's see how the pairings turn out in camp, go ahead and bet on Rutta being Hedmans partner :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->