Zach Bogosian on waivers, thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
At the beginning of the year, it was. I think cap is calculated daily.
Absolutely not. Cap hit doesn't change. Money owed does...hit does not
You're actually both right.

The cap hit of a player is what he'll cost over an entire season. It is calculated on a day-per-day basis as a projection through a full season. Outside of situations like with Nylander last year, this only matters for trades and it's largely just semantics. So let's say that it's the TDL and we have acquired this player. His cap hit is the same, what he will cost in total to both teams across the season is still the same. What percentage he'll cost us across the rest of the season is the same as what he would have cost us if he had been here the whole season. It's just a matter of how you present it.

Man, that was maybe not the best explanation. I'll try with an example instead:

We want to trade for a player after exactly half the season. He has a cap hit of $2M. That means he uses up $1M of that on his old team, and the rest on ours. You can describe that in two ways:

1. His overall cap hit is $2M, and we draw that from the $81.5M salary cap we have overall this season.
2. His remaining cap hit is $1M, and we draw that from the $40.75M salary cap that remains this season.

Both are correct. It only becomes incorrect when you mix the two, like if you say that he costs $2M but we only have $40.75M space left, or that he costs us $1M of our $81.5M full season budget.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There is no risk here Nithoniniel. Put him in the 5/6 slot. Can't possibly be worse than Marincin. He's cheap and its possible a change of scenery will light a fire under his ass.
He is most definitely not cheap. He's insanely overpaid. And I'm pretty sure he actually is worse than Marincin. Besides, he doesn't need to just be better than Martin, he needs to be better than all the players above him in the depth chart.

Bogosian doesn't lack for motivation. That has never been his problem. He's dumb as bricks and he no longer has the ability to cover for that with natural talent.

member 300185

He is most definitely not cheap. He's insanely overpaid. And I'm pretty sure he actually is worse than Marincin. Besides, he doesn't need to just be better than Martin, he needs to be better than all the players above him in the depth chart.

Bogosian doesn't lack for motivation. That has never been his problem. He's dumb as bricks and he no longer has the ability to cover for that with natural talent.
Not that expensive. Only 2 mil or just under for the remaining balance of the schedule. Everyone is going to fail in Buffalo. You know that.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Not that expensive. Only 2 mil or just under for the remaining balance of the schedule. Everyone is going to fail in Buffalo. You know that.
Sort of like how Ceci and Harpur were just ruined by a dreadful Ottawa, right? My experience is that when you have a player that is awful compared to the rest of an awful team, he's not actually secretly good.

As for the cap hit, read what I wrote above. It doesn't work like you seem to think. He's either a $5.1M player we use our remaining $7.2M on, or he's a ~$2M player we use our remaining ~$2.8M on. Either way, it's way too much and we couldn't possible use that space worse.

Reactions: Ciao

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We already had our own Bogosian his name was Cody Ceci.

Same level of play received from both players this year and we already have seen how that turned out.

Replacing the injured Ceci with Bogosian (ignoring if it works cap wise) wouldn't even seem like that great an idea if the ultimate objective is improvement and not more of the same. IMO

Reactions: Ciao

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Same level of play received from both players this year and we already have seen how that turned out.

Replacing the injured Ceci with Bogosian (ignoring if it works cap wise) wouldn't even seem like that great an idea if the ultimate objective is improvement and not more of the same. IMO

Ceci has been one of our more reliable defensmen this season...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Mmmm . . . Kind of like dragging the couch left at the side of the curb into the house. No thanks.

Reactions: kb

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I'm not a fan of Ceci at all but Bogosian has been far, far worse than Ceci this year.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Thoughts??....

Let Bogosian keep on waiving. All the way to the AHL. We don't need a right shot Martin Marincin on our team. If you paid close attention the last few years Bogo was on the Sabres, he was really really bad. Makes Tavares look like McDavid in the skating department. Would much rather finish the season with Sandin and Lili than have Bogo waste a roster spot.

member 300185

Sort of like how Ceci and Harpur were just ruined by a dreadful Ottawa, right? My experience is that when you have a player that is awful compared to the rest of an awful team, he's not actually secretly good.

As for the cap hit, read what I wrote above. It doesn't work like you seem to think. He's either a $5.1M player we use our remaining $7.2M on, or he's a ~$2M player we use our remaining ~$2.8M on. Either way, it's way too much and we couldn't possible use that space worse.
Thats right, its his cap hit against the cap, but it is only costing the remaining amount of his yearly salary which is slightly below 2 mil.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Thats right, its his cap hit against the cap, but it is only costing the remaining amount of his yearly salary which is slightly below 2 mil.
If he could play it would be fine. But he's just not good. Injuries and a lack of grey matter have conspired to make him waiver fodder.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think that it's incredible how wide ranging the opinion of some Leafs fans go.

If Lucic was on waivers we'd get a thread like this asking if he could return to 30g form playing in our top6.

The answer to both your question and my hypothetical is f*** NO

Reactions: Menzinger

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
It's what I tell my children to say when I take them to Catholic school and a Priest approaches them.

"No touchie please"

Reactions: kb

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I dont think some here realise how bad he is. And hes been bad for a long time now, it's not just in the last few years.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
He obviously shouldn't be the 1st or 2nd option.

But if all else fails, I really dont see the downside to giving him a chance to see if he can reclaim his former self. Especially if he comes for a very low cost.

He has a nasty side that we're desperately missing on the back end. But if he doesnt pan out, than bench him. Like I said, the cost to acquiring him should be peanuts
What's his former self.?

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
The Sabres are in a more dire need than the Leafs. If he was any good, he wouldn't of been demoted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->