Zac Dalpe - strengths and weaknesses?

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Hey guys,

I've had Zac Dalpe on my fantasy hockey keeper team for the past two years and I noticed he was scratched tonight... So many call-ups, send-downs and scratches this year are really starting to frustrate me and I'm concerned about how it's effecting his confidence...

Some questions I'm hoping you guys can help with:

Why won't the Canes give him a chance with extended time?

What's his strengths and weaknesses?

What's his potential?

Looking forward to the responses...

Thanks,
Tony

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys,

I've had Zac Dalpe on my fantasy hockey keeper team for the past two years and I noticed he was scratched tonight... So many call-ups, send-downs and scratches this year are really starting to frustrate me and I'm concerned about how it's effecting his confidence...

Some questions I'm hoping you guys can help with:

Why won't the Canes give him a chance with extended time?

What's his strengths and weaknesses?

What's his potential?

Looking forward to the responses...

Thanks,
Tony

First of all, he played great vs. the caps last game. Not too sure why he is scratched tonight.

He is small. He needs to put on 10-20 pounds to be more effective physically. He was not forechecking well and was sent down to Charlotte to work on it. His first game back from Charlotte was last night, in which I saw great improvement in the physicality department.

Strengths: Speed, natural scoring ability (i feel like once he gets one this year, the goals will start coming more frequently). He was lighting it up in the AHL right before he was recalled. And might I point out he plays the PP and PK in Charlotte.

Weaknesses: Physicality, he lacks real "grit". His game has not completely translated to the NHL yet. HOWEVER, I don't think they have given him a real good chance to develop at this level (7 games played this season).

Potential: He should be on our second line tonight with J. Staal and Skinner. No questions asked. Why LaRose is there I have no idea. He definitely has the potential to be a top-6 forward for his entire career, but he needs to round out his game more in order to succeed.

I am hoping he plays on Saturday vs. Florida. Got tickets specifically because he was recalled (he's my favorite canes player).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Size/strength/physical play. I don't know why that has to be an issue that keeps him off the ice, necessarily. There are ways to find playing time for guys like that.

I think the major problem is, he also hasn't shown a lot of creativity at the NHL level. But that's something that comes with confidence. I'd like to see him on the third line every night and see what happens.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not good enough to play on in the top 6 right now, game not really suited to the bottom 6 right now = AHL player right now.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I feel like if Dalpe could learn to put himself in the right places, like Larose has a knack for, he could become a solid NHL player. He's got decent speed, the shot, and the hands, he's just never in a position where he gets to use them.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I feel like if Dalpe could learn to put himself in the right places, like Larose has a knack for, he could become a solid NHL player. He's got decent speed, the shot, and the hands, he's just never in a position where he gets to use them.

And I'm sure playing in the AHL is going to solve that problem... I mean to give no attitude to anyone on this board. Its just so frustrating watching him bounce around instead of being given more than a few games to fix his mistakes.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If Dalpe can get his defensive game up to par he'll be given a shot at the 2nd line long term. He has a solid enough offensive game, but as wally mentioned he doesn't quite have that knack for getting himself in the right spots in the offensive zone right now. That comes with experience, and adding a few more lbs wouldn't hurt much either.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And I'm sure playing in the AHL is going to solve that problem... I mean to give no attitude to anyone on this board. Its just so frustrating watching him bounce around instead of being given more than a few games to fix his mistakes.

Yes, he can work on his game in the AHL. In a shortened season, the coach needs to play his best players, not worry about a rookie working through mistakes at the NHL level. If he can work on other areas of his game and improve them, he will stick. If not, he'll struggle to make it because his offense isn't so far superior to overcome other parts of his game.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yes, he can work on his game in the AHL. In a shortened season, the coach needs to play his best players, not worry about a rookie working through mistakes at the NHL level. If he can work on other areas of his game and improve them, he will stick. If not, he'll struggle to make it because his offense isn't so far superior to overcome other parts of his game.

I agree with you. But I just wanted to say, his best players includes Jokinen, right? :laugh: I'm still hoping for that trade for a defenseman to happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I agree with you. But I just wanted to say, his best players includes Jokinen, right? :laugh: I'm still hoping for that trade for a defenseman to happen.

Yes, While Jokinen is struggling and isn't worth his current salary, he is still better than Dalpe..because he can play center, play defense, win face-offs, and penalty kill. And even if Jokinen is traded, I'll be surprised if it is Dalpe that stays with the Canes.

I get that you really like Dalpe, but he's not getting a raw deal here. He just hasn't been good enough.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yes, While Jokinen is struggling and isn't worth his current salary, he is still better than Dalpe..because he can play center, play defense, win face-offs, and penalty kill. And even if Jokinen is traded, I'll be surprised if it is Dalpe that stays with the Canes.

I get that you really like Dalpe, but he's not getting a raw deal here. He just hasn't been good enough.

No I agree with you! hahaha. I just thought it was funny in the moment since everyone seems to clamoring for him to go.

And I acknowledged in my first post that Dalpe has things he needs to work on before becoming a regular in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad