Z is 2nd in league scoring

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Z has quietly flown under the radar and racked up the 2nd most points in the league (28) to Crosby's 30. IMO he's done this without sacrificing the Selke caliber shutdown game he's known for.

What an awesome start :handclap: .

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think Z takes being Captain very seriously and he's trying to put the team on his back. He's looked very strong regardless of who he is playing with. His puck control is so good. Good to see him near the top

xmichaelx88

Nov 21, 2013
Detroit, MI
I think Z takes being Captain very seriously and he's trying to put the team on his back. He's looked very strong regardless of who he is playing with. His puck control is so good. Good to see him near the top

Exactly how I feel. The way he carries the puck along the boards with no help is mind boggling.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
and this although he looks slower than before. (just like every season). :sarcasm:

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
No wonder nyquist could not grab a piece of cheese. Z took it all home with him!

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Has been a top 5 player for years, still is.

Playoff performance >>>>>> regular season
And he's really impressive at it...

I'm really happy to see him with those points but it shouldn't matter. I'm just happy that he kept his elite shutdown ability and his constantly good offensive play.

Hariken

Apr 7, 2013
he has played more games than pretty much everybody in the top10 so i'm not really that impressed

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
he has played more games than pretty much everybody in the top10 so i'm not really that impressed

And six of the top 10 get more TOI than he does and are less defensively responsible than he is.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

You don't find the 7th best PPG in the NHL impressive? You must have ridiculously high standards.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They mentioned a game or two ago that Z has the 2nd highest % in the league in terms of involvement in his team's goals. Something like 45% of all Red Wings goals he's in on.

That's impressive.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Zetterberg has seemed to fly under the radar in the NHL for the past 4 or so seasons. Everyone knew his skill in 08 & 09, but I think with all the new, young super stars, he gets kind of left behind in offensive talks. Oh well, that's probably better for us

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
He's still got it. If only he scored that wraparound attempt. Highlight reel and goal of the year potential.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They mentioned a game or two ago that Z has the 2nd highest % in the league in terms of involvement in his team's goals. Something like 45% of all Red Wings goals he's in on.

That's impressive.
While his production is impressive this year, I think his participation percentage is more a function of our dearth of secondary scoring coupled with the fact that we have struggles scoring at all.

Jusek

Dec 2, 2009
Just want to throw this one here:

Gus with brilliant takeaway as well.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Just want to throw this one here:

Gus with brilliant takeaway as well.

Nyquist is a good pursuer and backchecker. However is d zone coverage is quite poor. He looks lost and does not know who to take and gets too close to the net and does not cover the point. Granted in time they should be able to coach him and get him playing d better.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
With Lidstrom gone, Zetterberg is the folcrum of the team. No question about that to me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Z is the most important Red Wing, has been since Lidstrom left, maybe even a little before that. Guy is remarkably consistent and never drops off at all come the playoffs when you would expect his point totals to go down like the rest of the league. He keeps chugging along at the same point pace and his defense goes through the roof. He is our best player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
MOD

Think he has 5 points in 3 games without him as they split the lines apart. Z and Datsyuk haven't played together in a while before this season aside from the PP where they are magical, but lets be honest most superstars in the league especially the ones in Pittsburgh feast in that situation in a together like fashion.

The reason Zetterberg is likely to finish a personal high in points if he stays healthy and maybe graze the 100 point mark is the shift to the east, so much more room for both he and Datsyuk to operate, with this huge Eastern schedule over the next couple weeks lets see if his numbers take off even higher for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
Not only is Hank quietly second in the league in scoring, he somehow become one of only a handful of players (Pasha, Yzerman, Delvecchio and Howe off the top of my head) to lead the Wings in scoring for 3 years in a row.

The past four seasons (09-13) Datsyuk played 253 games with 245 points (.96ppg). Hank has played 282 games scoring 267 points (.94ppg). Hank may not get as much highlight reel plays as Pasha, but he's certainly on the same level offensively. Plus, this is the healthiest stretch of his career. He's doing the C proud.

It would be nice to see Z get a Heart nod at the end of the year, but like last year I expect him to fall out of the scoring race around the halfway point. And we all know that the NHL only awards the highest scoring guys.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I love both players, Datsyuk and Zetterberg... it's almost kind of the perfect situation with those two. Datsyuk gets all of the media hype and the glory due to him being a magician with the puck, and being one of the best players in the game, but Zetterberg plays so consistently and gets the recognition from the team itself by taking on that C. If there's one positive thing about the "Red Wing way" that Ken Holland has added to this team, it's the fact that unlike so many other teams in pro sports Detroit has been able to hold onto the elite- likely hall of fame talent in Datsyuk and Zetterberg, as well as the other assistant captain, Kronwall, who isn't so bad himself. Franzen may be another name to add to this list eventually, as well as a few other names on the current team. It's wonderful to see how much these guys still love playing here, and despite all of the changes and retirements, this team still can overcome it with the leadership these guys have been bringing. I love Zetterberg, and the only thing surprising about his current spot in the scoring race is the fact that he has scored so many goals, rather than assisting more often. He has gone a few games without a goal now, since Tampa, and I think that goal is going to come on Wednesday.

DatsyukianDeke*

That's impressive.

They were talking about Pavel and Zetterberg account for 45% of the Wings goals in one way or another and they are 2nd in the league. Then Mickey said "I wonder who would be number one, it would have to be Stamkos and St Louis".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad