Yzerman's name won't be on the Stanley Cup under Tampa Bay

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This is all very true. It's kind of silly to base everything on the puck luck of a couple bounces when you make it to the Stanley Cup final. For example, my opinion wouldn't sway THAT much if they had won that cup in 2014-15.

The problem comes when you categorize Tampa Bay as an "often cup contending team" when they failed to win a single playoff game in 5 out of 8 of the seasons he had real influence over and only ever made it to the Stanley Cup once... all while inheriting a team with 4 absolute superstars

Fair enough. The way I see it, they've been the best team in the league over the past 5-6 years that hasn't won a cup. That's more or less a cup contender to me. They had talented enough teams to win the cup in 14, 15, 16, 18, and 19 - regardless of playoff craziness.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I really hate that Michigan did away with F's. We sound stupid whenever we use this system, I am old enough to remember it coming into being and even as a kid back then I was bothered by it. I think it was about the same time as the everyone gets a trophy baloney too.

Yeah I know:

91sn32Q.jpg

Ohio doesn't seem to use the F grade, either. It feels weird, but it's also a bit redundant. I mean, a D is 60% right? At some point tiering out different levels of failure seems to be overdoing it a bit.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
even if you're just looking at the playoffs it honestly sounds ridiculous to say that the lightning have "failed miserably" over Yzerman's tenure

since he went there they made it to the SCF once and made it to game 7 of the conference finals 3 times(all 3 of those times losing to the team that won the cup)

This is all very true. It's kind of silly to base everything on the puck luck of a couple bounces when you make it to the Stanley Cup final. For example, my opinion wouldn't sway THAT much if they had won that cup in 2014-15.

The problem comes when you categorize Tampa Bay as an "often cup contending team" when they failed to win a single playoff game in 5 out of 8 of the seasons he had real influence over and only ever made it to the Stanley Cup once... all while inheriting a team with 4 absolute superstars

they also made it to game 7 of the conference finals against the team that won the cup an additional 3 times in addition to that 2015 run though....

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
even if you're just looking at the playoffs it honestly sounds ridiculous to say that the lightning have "failed miserably" over Yzerman's tenure

since he went there they made it to the SCF once and made it to game 7 of the conference finals 3 times(all 3 of those times losing to the team that won the cup)

they also made it to game 7 of the conference finals against the team that won the cup an additional 3 times in addition to that 2015 run though....
You really sure you want to give him credit for 2010-11?

Reactions: Fynn

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

vinny wasn't an absolute superstar anymore when yzerman got there and hedman didn't become one until 13-14.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You really sure you want to give him credit for 2010-11?

he was gm for the entire year and acquired their starting goalie,#1 defenseman(Brewer played 25 minutes/night that year in the Playoffs,more than 3 minutes more than anybody else),and simon gagne(who had 12 points in 15 playoff games) in trades

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Holy crow, if we're judging GMs on the sole factor of winning cups or not, pretty much every GM ever is complete horse shit.

Like even Stan Bowman is batting less than .500 in his short career as a GM! What a completely terrible GM!

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Holy crow, if we're judging GMs on the sole factor of winning cups or not, pretty much every GM ever is complete horse ****.

Like even Stan Bowman is batting less than .500 in his short career as a GM! What a completely terrible GM!
Nobody said that.

The sole issue is not that he didn't win a Stanley Cup.
It's that he made it to the Stanley Cup ONCE. Not 3 or 4 times.
It's that he won 0 playoff games in FIVE seasons. Not once or twice.
It's that he had nothing to do with bringing in Stamkos or Hedman

Call me crazy, but I have higher expectations than that. Especially with the ridiculous praise being heaped on him today.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Ok, I think it's time to try to voice opinions and set expectations right before love tsunami caused by announcement of his return drowns us all :)

How I see Yzerman as a GM:
+ Trading history - negotiated some difficult deals, won more often than not
+ Late-round drafting - speaks for itself
+ Strengthening core - built a strong team to complement Stamkos and Hedman
+ Star negotiations - successfully made stars settle for less than market value
- First-round drafting - nothing to brag about besides Vasilevsky
- Depth negotiations - see Callahan, Killorn, Miller
- Bulding dominating team - Tampa flip-flopped between success and failure
- Conflict settlement - parted badly with future HoF club legend, compare AA vs Drouin
? Core building - never had to do it, Tampa always had more talent than Detroit now
? Cap navigation - jumped ship right before things got interesting

Yzerman should mix things up in our front office but it's hard to say what it will bring. Let's hope for the best :partytime:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Nobody said that.

The sole issue is not that he didn't win a Stanley Cup.
It's that he made it to the Stanley Cup ONCE. Not 3 or 4 times.
It's that he won 0 playoff games in FIVE seasons. Not once or twice.
It's that he had nothing to do with bringing in Stamkos or Hedman

Call me crazy, but I have higher expectations than that. Especially with the ridiculous praise being heaped on him today.
You're leaving out the three times the team made the conference finals too.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Ok, I think it's time to try to voice opinions and set expectations right before love tsunami caused by announcement of his return drowns us all :)

How I see Yzerman as a GM:
+ Trading history - negotiated some difficult deals, won more often than not
+ Late-round drafting - speaks for itself
+ Strengthening core - built a strong team to complement Stamkos and Hedman
+ Star negotiations - successfully made stars settle for less than market value
- First-round drafting - nothing to brag about besides Vasilevsky
- Depth negotiations - see Callahan, Killorn, Miller
- Bulding dominating team - Tampa flip-flopped between success and failure
- Conflict settlement - parted badly with future HoF club legend, compare AA vs Drouin
? Core building - never had to do it, Tampa always had more talent than Detroit now
? Cap navigation - jumped ship right before things got interesting

Yzerman should mix things up in our front office but it's hard to say what it will bring. Let's hope for the best :partytime:

I think that's a pretty fair assessment, though I wouldn't pin the St. Louis thing on him. If anything I think that whole mess reflects positively on his judgment as a GM because he didn't let his loyalty to one of his own players cloud his judgment in assembling the best team for the Olympics.

And him getting anything even remotely fair back when St. Louis insisted on being traded to one team also reflects pretty well on Yzerman.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
You're leaving out the three times the team made the conference finals too.
I sure did. And looking at a few conference finals appearances largely carried by guys that were there before you got there, you sure have the workings of an argument that he might be above average.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I sure did. And looking at a few conference finals appearances largely carried by guys that were there before you got there, you sure have the workings of an argument that he might be above average.
lol. well that's pretty convenient. The conference finals were a result of guys he had nothing to do with.

I don't think Yzerman is the Wing's savior, but come on.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No SY name will not be on the cup if the wins it anytime soon but if they do, we will know who put majority of the core together.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I don't think it's hate, but the ***** everyone gets over Yzerman possibly coming to the Wings is over the top. He was a legend when he played. But we're not getting a 25 year old Yzerman back on the ice. What he will bring this team as a member of the front office remains to be seen. As was correctly pointed out above, Yzerman's tenure as GM can't really be looked at as a success. He made plenty of good moves, some not so good. But the bottom line, they didn't win. Not only that, they were spectacular failures when the were expected to succeed.

This is so completely ridiculous

Can’t be looked at as a success? Bullshit.

Bottom line, they didn’t win. So? It’s the Gms responsibility for them to put it all together on the ice now?

GMAFB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad