Yzerman's name won't be on the Stanley Cup under Tampa Bay

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
The abortion of a playoff series the Lightning just pulled is not Yzerman's fault. He can't go out there and skate for them. His job is to assemble talent, and he did that with flying colors. What happened to Tampa is embarrassing as hell but I'd sure as f*** rather be in their position right now than the one we're in. And if I can get the guy who put them in that position, I'm sure as f*** gonna do it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As were the Wings until they won the Cup in '97 yet people only credit Holland for helping build that team and not for the team underachieving in the playoffs for multiple years. And that was in the non-cap world.

I can understand growing weary of people thinking Yzerman will be our savior as GM, but it's a stretch to put Tampa's collapse on him.

Yzerman isn't a savior. Only thing where he is better than our current great GM, is UFA bargaining power and contract negotiations to push the caphits down. As a builder, trader and drafter, he uses the same GM book than Holland.

Reactions: Fynn

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Is Yzerman available for an interview as of now?

Illitch would have to reach out to Vinik for permission. Knowing the relationship Vinik and Yzerman have, I can’t imagine Vinik turning the request down.

My hunch is Illitch waits a week or so to let the sting die down before he reaches out for permission.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
In the most recent Bobcast, McKenzie said Scouts he knows have been telling him that they are seeing Yzerman in rinks scouting guys considered to be top 10 picks. Yzerman is known to be a grinder who loves scouting players but apparently most of his time now is spent watching guys TB wouldn’t have a chance to sniff in the draft.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
In the most recent Bobcast, McKenzie said Scouts he knows have been telling him that they are seeing Yzerman in rinks scouting guys considered to be top 10 picks. Yzerman is known to be a grinder who loves scouting players but apparently most of his time now is spent watching guys TB wouldn’t have a chance to sniff in the draft.
HMMM

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

There is one explanation for this type of occurence...Tampa will be executing a sign and trade with Chicago for Brayden Point

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
He built one of the best rosters in the league, a team that has a chance at making a deep playoff run every year.
A team that has failed miserably. He has put together talent, he hasn't put together a WINNER. He had 8 years and took over a decent team. He made the team better. Did anyone feel satisfied when the Wings won 62 games and lost in the first round? Were we sitting around congratulating management for putting together a talented team with a chance to win every year? I think not.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
A team that has failed miserably. He has put together talent, he hasn't put together a WINNER. He had 8 years and took over a decent team. He made the team better. Did anyone feel satisfied when the Wings won 62 games and lost in the first round? Were we sitting around congratulating management for putting together a talented team with a chance to win every year? I think not.

Failing miserably would be an E on an A-E grade scale. You really think he deserves an E grade for his work in Tampa Bay?

There are varying levels of success. Taking Stanley Cups into consideration, there are like 4-5 teams in the entire league that have been more successful than the Lightning have the past 8 years.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Failing miserably would be an E on an A-E grade scale. You really think he deserves an E grade for his work in Tampa Bay?

There are varying levels of success. Taking Stanley Cups into consideration, there are like 4-5 teams in the entire league that have been more successful than the Lightning have the past 8 years.
Um, so other than actually winning the Cup, he was successful? :laugh: We're number #5! We're number #5!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Um, so other than actually winning the Cup, he was successful? :laugh: We're number #5! We're number #5!

A team has multiple goals. Drafting well, making the playoffs, being consistent cup contenders, etc are goals that teams strive to meet. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal of course, but it's one of many smaller/incremental goals.

A GM who leads his team to five straight seasons of 70 points/missing the playoffs isn't as successful a GM as a GM who loses five straight times in the cup finals. I think we can agree on that right? Hence, there are varying levels of success -- rather than simply being binary cup/no cup.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
A team has multiple goals. Drafting well, making the playoffs, being consistent cup contenders, etc are goals that teams strive to meet. Winning the cup is the ultimate goal of course, but it's one of many smaller/incremental goals.

A GM who leads his team to five straight seasons of 70 points/missing the playoffs isn't as successful a GM as a GM who loses five straight times in the cup finals. I think we can agree on that right? Hence, there are varying levels of success -- rather than simply being binary cup/no cup.
We're talking about Steve Yzerman. He took over a semi decent Tampa team and had 8 seasons to produce a Stanley Cup Champion. He had one job. He did not win. Not only that, he quit before his contract expired. You can blather on about talent and how and when it is you lose and one kind of losing is better than another kind of losing, but it doesn't change anything. It's amazing the mental gymnastics that fans will do to justify his failure as a GM. It does not take away what an iconic player he was.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We're talking about Steve Yzerman. He took over a semi decent Tampa team and had 8 seasons to produce a Stanley Cup Champion. He had one job. He did not win. Not only that, he quit before his contract expired. You can blather on about talent and how and when it is you lose and one kind of losing is better than another kind of losing, but it doesn't change anything. It's amazing the mental gymnastics that fans will do to justify his failure as a GM. It does not take away what an iconic player he was.

I don't care about his legacy or the fact he's an iconic player or whatever. I'm not an Yzerman fanboy.

It's not mental gymnastics to say that an often cup contending team who just didn't win the cup in 8 years is more successful than the Buffalo Sabres (who missed the playoffs every season) were the past 8 years. It's mental gymnastics to pretend they are equally successful, just because they both won 0 cups.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I don't care about his legacy or the fact he's an iconic player or whatever. I'm not an Yzerman fanboy.

It's not mental gymnastics to say that an often cup contending team who just didn't win the cup in 8 years is more successful than the Buffalo Sabres (who missed the playoffs every season) were the past 8 years. It's mental gymnastics to pretend they are equally successful, just because they both won 0 cups.
If you ain't first, you're last.

Reactions: Fynn

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If you think a GM has one job, that's a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of the position.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yzerman isn't a savior. Only thing where he is better than our current great GM, is UFA bargaining power and contract negotiations to push the caphits down. As a builder, trader and drafter, he uses the same GM book than Holland.

Which isn't the worst thing.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

This is all very true. It's kind of silly to base everything on the puck luck of a couple bounces when you make it to the Stanley Cup final. For example, my opinion wouldn't sway THAT much if they had won that cup in 2014-15.

The problem comes when you categorize Tampa Bay as an "often cup contending team" when they failed to win a single playoff game in 5 out of 8 of the seasons he had real influence over and only ever made it to the Stanley Cup once... all while inheriting a team with 4 absolute superstars

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I really hate that Michigan did away with F's. We sound stupid whenever we use this system, I am old enough to remember it coming into being and even as a kid back then I was bothered by it. I think it was about the same time as the everyone gets a trophy baloney too.

Yeah I know:

91sn32Q.jpg

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I really hate that Michigan did away with F's. We sound stupid whenever we use this system, I am old enough to remember it coming into being and even as a kid back then I was bothered by it. I think it was about the same time as the everyone gets a trophy baloney too.

Yeah I know:

91sn32Q.jpg

I actually originally had my post written using the F grade instead of the E grade but then I was like, idk if Michigan actually uses F's, so I edited my post to E lol

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad