News Article: Yzerman's Legacy in Tampa Bay

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Great article from the Athletic. Some small samples for those who don't have a subscription:

“He doesn’t really care where players are from,” Murray said. “Some people tend to have biases one way or another. Other teams and scouts and management really feel comfortable taking certain players from areas or feel uncomfortable taking others. Steve has always been adamant on evaluating everyone as they are, as a player, as a person — their attitude as a player, their drive and competitive nature.

“We don’t limit ourselves to size, don’t limit ourselves with nationality. And it makes it easier for us to find the best players when you don’t have those restrictions.”

“My biggest takeaway, something that stuck with me from day one is (Yzerman) had a vision for how he wanted the Lightning to play, and it took years to build it,” BriseBois said. “It wasn’t a quick turnaround because you have to have the players to fit the style, and that takes time.”

The one interesting part was the buyout of Lecavalier. That happened in 2013 a couple season before their playoff run really began. I don't expect him to buy anyone out right now but it's worth remembering he made that decision in Tampa when they were gearing up to become a really competitive franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad