• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Thunderstruck said:
Good for Stevie.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

Right.
Where are all the player-haters, impugning the integrity of Steve Yzerman, who has played himself into a cripple?
Lots of silence on this one.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Newsguyone said:
Right.
Where are all the player-haters, impugning the integrity of Steve Yzerman, who has played himself into a cripple?
Lots of silence on this one.

I was just about to post this article.

No matter who you support in this fight, you have to respect what Steve Yzerman has to say. He's a legend.

He has nothing to gain out of this. He's probably finished.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Ol' Stevie Boy won't have to worry about "selling out future generations" because there won't be an NHL for future generations to play in, if this continues.

I like Steve, but he comes off sounding "McCabe-esque" here.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
DJAnimosity said:
Ol' Stevie Boy won't have to worry about "selling out future generations" because there won't be an NHL for future generations to play in, if this continues.

I like Steve, but he comes off sounding "McCabe-esque" here.

McCabe-esque? McCabe can't hold Steve Yzerman water bottle. Wow. Yzerman also hardly speaks, unless he has something on his mind.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
There's not going to be a next generation of NHL players if the NHLPA keeps slamming down solid, substantial offers. Nothing is Goodenough for Goodenow

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There's not going to be a next generation of NHL players if the NHLPA keeps slamming down solid, substantial offers.

great, wake me when the NHL actually makes a solid substantial offer :shakehead

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
to be completely honest, neither side has presented a proposal that is workable "right out of the box" in my mind

both sides have tried to make things as much in their favor as possible without coming to a true compromise...but i think both sides could have used proposals as a starting point for more negotiations as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Da Game said:
McCabe-esque? McCabe can't hold Steve Yzerman water bottle. Wow. Yzerman also hardly speaks, unless he has something on his mind.

After the things McCabe has said, I hope he retires out of shame.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Da Game said:
I was just about to post this article.

No matter who you support in this fight, you have to respect what Steve Yzerman has to say. He's a legend.

He has nothing to gain out of this. He's probably finished.

A laudable stand by a great and classy player. If we could hear that the younger generation including guys like Crosby agreed, Stevie's point would be much better received. I think though that if you gave the young guys the choice between negotiating from where we are now and killing a season or two, they'd choose the first.

It's really for the young guys to decide for themselves and isn't really the old guys' place.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
I should throw my Yzerman book in the fireplace after his idiotic comments. What do you really expect from him. He's a grade 10 dropout with absolutely no formal economic training. The NHLPA probably pleaded with him to say something. So Stevie won't sell out the next generation eh. Well sitting out a year or two over pride had done just that. Where was Stevie when the NHL begged the NHLPA to start working on the CBA two years ago? Maybe Stevie should have opened his mouth then and motivated the union back to the table. Hey the NHLPA didn't negotiate because they based their strategy on the NHL owners caving in mid January. Well that didn't happen did it. Stevie, I loved you as a player. I've got your book, posters and cards. But enjoy your retirement tour through the NHL....Oooops that won't happen. Look forward to some embarassing press release informing the sporting world that you are retiring and no one will care. Booo hooo hooo

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Someone should have told Stevie that the longer they hold out, the less the next generation is going to get.

But nobody ever claimed that hockey players are smart.

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
I dont see the sellout Stevie - I also dont understand what you mean by a 'reasonable' deal. I respect what you did for the game on the ice, but come on, dont you think the game itself deserves a 'reasonable' deal?

Lets do a quick little sketch of the math and ask yourself where the rest of the numbers are going to come from:

seasonal
Average team: 41 games * 16000 fans * $37 (ave Flames ticket in American $) = $24 272 000.00
Approximate Salary: $35 million

I realize owners make money on promotions, sponsors, beer and food, as well as equalization payments, but they also spend a ton more on rink maintainance, taxes, medical, equipment, travel expenses and innumerable other expenses. I dont see them making that extra 10 million just to cover costs, never mind make a couple bucks for their investment. Lets look for a 'reasonable' deal for the infrastructure of the game Stevie.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is exactly the reason the NHL cannot back down this time around. The last generation of players actually suceeded in doing this and the salaries have been literally raping the sport, it's gotten progressively worse until players are paid so much you see the $10 million salaries you see today. I don't buy this stuff about future generations, what do you want the future players to extort unreasonable amounts of money from a financial landscape that can't support it too?

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
Yzerman mayhave nothing to gain, but also nothing to lose. He wants to be a respected hero among the PA but this stance hurts his reputation among fans

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
EdBelfour20 said:
Yzerman mayhave nothing to gain, but also nothing to lose. He wants to be a respected hero among the PA but this stance hurts his reputation among fans

Nothing to lose ???

How about $4.5 million this year, possibly more next year ... the end to his career.

You can disagree with a players stance all you want, but they certainly have quite a bit to lose, and for the veterans, almost nothing to gain personally.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
pacde said:
I dont see the sellout Stevie - I also dont understand what you mean by a 'reasonable' deal. I respect what you did for the game on the ice, but come on, dont you think the game itself deserves a 'reasonable' deal?

Lets do a quick little sketch of the math and ask yourself where the rest of the numbers are going to come from:

seasonal
Average team: 41 games * 16000 fans * $37 (ave Flames ticket in American $) = $24 272 000.00
Approximate Salary: $35 million

I realize owners make money on promotions, sponsors, beer and food, as well as equalization payments, but they also spend a ton more on rink maintainance, taxes, medical, equipment, travel expenses and innumerable other expenses. I dont see them making that extra 10 million just to cover costs, never mind make a couple bucks for their investment. Lets look for a 'reasonable' deal for the infrastructure of the game Stevie.

So you are admitting that the NHL's proposals have not been reasonable?

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Nothing to lose ???

How about $4.5 million this year, possibly more next year ... the end to his career.

You can disagree with a players stance all you want, but they certainly have quite a bit to lose, and for the veterans, almost nothing to gain personally.

Yzerman has one season in him left maybe two - hes already a multimillionaire at the tail end of his career

mooseOAK*

Pepper said:
Someone should have told Stevie that the longer they hold out, the less the next generation is going to get.

But nobody ever claimed that hockey players are smart.
Exactly my thought, you are already selling them out to appease your collective egos at this point in time, Steve. They'll never make this money back.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
John Flyers Fan said:
Nothing to lose ???

At this stage of his career, a season's salary is almost nothing to him. This costs Steve Yzerman almost nothing. He gets to be a hero to his buddies in the union and fans in Detroit don't care what he says about the lockout.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
s3por2d said:
At this stage of his career, a season's salary is almost nothing to him. This costs Steve Yzerman almost nothing. He gets to be a hero to his buddies in the union and fans in Detroit don't care what he says about the lockout.

Do you think that $4.5 million is more of a loss to Yzerman ... or $10 million is to a guy like Illitch, Jacobs, Karmonos, Cablevision, Comcast, Disney, Wirtz, Kroenke ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad