Yzerman withdraws from Olympic consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
100mph slapshot said:
I hope Mario plays. That way Finland has a chance against them.

Wasn't it a Scandinavian coach who said at the 2002 Olympics that Mario skated like an old tractor. Check out the colour of the medal Mario is wearing.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
Woa! What a news flash. Like we didn't already know that.

Apparently not, the article mentions nothing of Wayne.

The topic is about Steve having class to withdraw himself.

The article was about Mario having class to withdraw himself.

Go find another topic to troll on.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Wingman said:
Go find another topic to troll on.
For simply agreeing with another poster that Mario should follow Yzerman's lead?

A troll likes to stir up trouble for the sake of it. I assume neither of us want that. So let's just agree to disagree about Mario. You think it's enough that Mario thinks he can contribute. Some others of us don't.

Back to Yzerman: this is good for the Red Wings. Reminds me of what Stevie did in 2002, opting out of the Olympics and then playing incredible in the first couple of rounds of the NHL playoffs. Perhaps he will repeat!

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
I agree, Yzerman is one class act.

Personally I think his spot should be filled by Staal but I don't think anyone could find too much fault if it is Staal, Crosby or Spezza. Who amongst them that do not make it can take comfort in the fact that they are on pace to be no-brainers for 2010 in Vancouver.

It is hard to tell how good Spezza is because of the line he plays on but I don't often see him pull off the big plays that Staal and Crosby do.

Jazz

VanIslander said:
...Back to Yzerman: this is good for the Red Wings. Reminds me of what Stevie did in 2002, opting out of the Olympics and then playing incredible in the first couple of rounds of the NHL playoffs. Perhaps he will repeat!

Ah, Yzerman played in the 2002 Olympics (he was Canada's 2nd leading scorer for the tournament, and should have been the tournament MVP IMHO). He then took the rest of the season off and came back in time for the 1st round vs the Canucks, were after falling behind 0-2, he practically willed the Wings back to win the series.

It will be good for him to get some rest though this time around.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Ismellofhockey said:
Richards Gagné - Lecavalier - St-Louis
Tanguay - Brière - Dumont
Lemieux - Turgeon - Laperrière
Robitaille - Ribeiro - Bergeron
Lapointe

M-A Bergeron - Boucher
Dandenault - Desjardins
Bouillon - Brisebois
Gauthier

Brodeur
Luongo
Théodore

:sarcasm:

Maudite avatar!

We named our rec hockey team the "Maudites"!!

Briere03

Jun 26, 2005
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The lineup in my opinion. I know that Smyth and Draper will probably be on the team in the real world.

Gagne-Thornton-Iginla
Staal-Sakic-Nash
Richards-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Crosby-Spezza-Heatley

Pronger-Blake
McCabe-Redden
Neidermayer-Jovonoski

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
VanIslander said:
For simply agreeing with another poster that Mario should follow Yzerman's lead?

A troll likes to stir up trouble for the sake of it. I assume neither of us want that. So let's just agree to disagree about Mario. You think it's enough that Mario thinks he can contribute. Some others of us don't.

Dont mind Wingman. In his world, anyone who disagrees with him is a troll.

As far as Lemieux goes, everyone know's he's *said* he wont go if he doesnt believe he deserves to go. Question is, will he realize the reality that he is not good enough to go?

A Good Flying Bird*

what happenned to all the people who were bashing Yzerman as a pathetic old man who can't keep up so he whines about the new rules?

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
people with lineups that include staal and spezza need to get a reality check. thorton will play with nash, aslong as nash is healthy. Sakic is gonna be witj iginla cuz it worked. Bertuzzi will most liely be there cuz gretz wants him there comments have been made that even shocked us nucks fans.

gange-sakic-ignila
nash-thorton-heatly/bertuzzi
smyth-richards-doan
draper-lecavlier-st.louis
These lines are not actualy lines just people that are on them.
Then we have Marleau,Lemieux

Crosby, Staal, Spezza you can see them in 2010, At most you might see one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I"m amazed that we'd put Nash into an Olympic situation against all-star players who have played all year.

I don't care who you are, if you haven't played, you need at least a good month to get into shape and be able to play at your highest level.

I think Nash's Olympic window is rapidly closing. At least, I hope so.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Briere03 said:
The lineup in my opinion. I know that Smyth and Draper will probably be on the team in the real world.

Gagne-Thornton-Iginla
Staal-Sakic-Nash
Crosby-Spezza-Heatley

Pronger-Blake
McCabe-Redden
Neidermayer-Jovonoski

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

I think both Smyth and Draper make the team and one of Nash, Spezza and Staal don't (Assuming Lemieux opts out.) I'd put Nash as the odd man out right now, because he hasn't played at all this season, while Spezza and Staal have been unbelievable.

I also think that Joseph may have played himself onto the team as the #3 ahead of Theodore.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Spezza-Heatley
Draper-Thornton-Bertuzzi

Extras: Crosby-Doan

Pronger-Blake
Redden-Foote
Neidermayer-Regehr

Extra: McCabe

Brodeur
Luongo

Extra: Turco

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Doan and Draper don't belong on that team........and if you're picking the best players than the young guys belong ahead of others.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Stevie Y? Because he's good...and a good guy too!

If I were picking the team...

Iginla/Sakic/Gagne
Crosby/Spezza/Heatley
Draper/Doan/Smyth
Thornton/Lecavlier/Richards
Spare - Nash

Blake/Foote
Niedermeyer/Reghier
Pronger/Redden
Spare - Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Theodore
Luongo

My explanation for some of the choices.

Crosby and Thornton over Stall and St. Louie.
If you base the team selection on performance to date, Stall clearly gets the call. However, Stall brings a lot of the same qualities that Thornton brings...and at this point, I'd take Thornton over Stall and Thornton also has more international experience than Stall.

On the big ice surface, Crosby's speed, agility and tenacity will be a key asset. I think that Crosby's explosiveness and enthusiasm will benefit the team sort of like Theo Fleury did in previous Olympics. While the rest of the team takes time to re-learn to play on the international ice and get going, Crosby's natural ability will kick in right away like Fleury's did and give our team a fighting chance in the early goings. I think that Crosby will be better in this regard and faster than St. Louis, who hasn't been as dynamic as during his MVP season.

Also, Crosby's shootout prowse will be more important than Stall's or St. Louis'.

Nash over Bertuzzi and Stall
Nash doesn't really belong there based on this season and I think that it will be a while before he gets going but I would prefer him over Big Bert since Nash's shown that he fits in very well with Thornton. Also, Bert has not shown that he can play at this level, on the Interanational ice, let alone shown that he can excell in the new NHL so far.

Nash is more of a goal scorer while Stall is more of a all around player. We need more snipers on this squad since most top players for Canada are centres or converted centres who are more set up oriented.

J-Bo over Jovocop and McCabe
Although he hasn't shown it this year, JBo has shown at the last World Cup that he could be better than most of the defensemen listed here and certainly better than Jovocop who was mistake prone at that tournament.

I'm not sure McCabe has enough natural talent to quickly learn to play on the international ice at this level of play. He's scored a lot of points in the new NHL but at least in my mind, verdict is still out on him and he's more one dimensional than all the others listed here.

JBO doesn't score alot yet, but he's a better defender than the two listed here and he's more all around. Also, this would be key for the next Olympics to have a young guy like JBO get some experience. You might argue Phaneuf but as good as Phaneuf is, he's still very green and has shown that he can compete at this level on the Olympic ice...and frankly, JBo is a better all around defenseman at this point.

Theodore and Luongo over Joseph

As good as Joseph has been this year, he's always struggled when put on the high pressure, must win situation. Sorry to say because he's a super guy but Joseph's just not a winner. He blew it at the '96 World cup, he blew it at Salt Lake City and he's blown it on lesser stages during his NHL career. There are also bitter feelings between Joseph and Quinn and the rest of the coaching staff no matter who denies it.

Theodore has won in internation tournaments before. I believe he was the last Canadian goalie to win the Gold at WJC before last year's all star squad.

Same for Luongo. Although he's only won a Silver on a favoured team at WJC, he's learned how to win and has won Gold at World Championships and proved that he can handle the pressure at last year's World Cup as well.

So there it is. My team if I were Wayne Gretzky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->