Yzerman withdraws from Olympic consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Claypool said:
Yeah, he totally jepordized canada's chances in the 2002 olympics and the 04 World Cup. :biglaugh:

Hate to break it to you, but it isnt 2002 or 2004 anymore.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
It's one thing to step up and play for your country, and it's another to know when you may not be the most appropriate guy for the job, and have enough modesty to step aside. I hope whoever does get his spot (whether it be Stall, Spezza, Crosby or whoever) does their best to match the effort level that Stevie Y. would have given out there.

Very, very well said. Erm, I suppose there's nothing more to add :(

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Chandler55 said:
would've never been chosen in my opinion :)

Actually, he was already choosen, Gretz said from the beginning that if he wants a spot he's got it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No question Yzerman is a class act. I guess he realizes that this isnt 1989 anymore. Or even 1996. He's obviously a first ticket Hall of Famer. I think the only role he would have been able to fill would have been a checker. His offense is just too silent nowadays. With Lemieux I'm torn as to whether we'd be better off with him or without him. His defense is absolutely rotten, but even in '04 that Sakic, Lemieux and Iginla line dominated. That said Mario looked as if the year off really took a toll on him.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Diffuser said:
I think Canada needs at least one veteran/leader of Mario or Yzerman's caliber, and if Stevie's out, I think Mario needs to be in, regardless of how he's doing this season. (Which isn't that bad, all things condsidered. He can still produce.)
i think both mario and stevie y should be there even if they're not playing - which is probably likely in mario's case -

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Stall Sakic Iggy
Nash Thornton Heatley
Spezza Lecavalier St Louis
Richards Draper Smyth

Crosby can go inplace of Stall as well

Pronger McCabe
Blake Nieds
Redden J-Bo

Hannan can go inplace of J-Bo as well

Luongo
Brodeur
Theo

Macman

May 15, 2004
Way to go Stevie. Not that there was any doubt. The guy is the epitome of class. You knew he'd do the right thing.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
joepeps said:
Stall Sakic Iggy
Nash Thornton Heatley
Richards Draper Smyth

Pronger McCabe
Blake Nieds
Redden J-Bo

Luongo
Brodeur
Theo

Hmmm, just a few things.

First, from the way Gagne has played this year, he has played himself off of the team??? Sure he may not be the highly touted up and comer, but he's still playing extrememly well, and he always seems to elevate his play in international competitions.

Secondly, I for one think that if both Spezza and Heatley are on the team, then most likely you'll see those two play together

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
you guys need to get off lemieux's back. he has already said he will only go to the olympics if he feels he can contribute.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's obvious that the end of the road is nearing for Yzerman, and he did the right thing by taking himself out of consideration for the Canadian Olympic team. It's time to pass on the torch so to speak to younger players and give them a chance to achieve the same success that Yzerman did in years past.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
joepeps said:
Stall Sakic Iggy
Nash Thornton Heatley
Richards Draper Smyth

Pronger McCabe
Blake Nieds
Redden J-Bo

Luongo
Brodeur
Theo

Gagne is a lock, you may need to reconsider your lineup. I'll take Bob McKenzie's word over yours that Jovanovski and Regehr are going to be there on defense before Bouwbeester, Hannan or McCabe. As well, Shane Doan will be there before both Spezza and Staal. And that's still not including Bertuzzi.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Richards - Sakic - Iginla
Smyth - Spezza - Heatley
Nash - Thornton - Gagné
Lemieux - Lecavalier - Crosby
Staal

Redden - Blake
Pronger - McCabe
Niedermayer - Jovanovski
Bouwmeester

or we could go with this

Gagné - Lecavalier - St-Louis
Tanguay - Brière - Dumont
Lemieux - Turgeon - Laperrière
Robitaille - Ribeiro - Bergeron
Lapointe

M-A Bergeron - Boucher
Dandenault - Desjardins
Bouillon - Brisebois
Gauthier

Brodeur
Luongo
Théodore

:sarcasm:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Alberta Yote said:
No surprise from a class act. Now if Mario can bring himself to make the same decision.
My thoughts exactly!

Classy move.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Steve Yzerman. :bow:

My sentiments are echoed throughout the thread. Truly all class. I'd like to see Steve take on a roll with TC in the future, after he retires, if whatever job the Red Wings serve up to him doesnt keep him busy all the time, that is.

joe_shannon_1983*

FreshBrew said:
Steve Yzerman. :bow:

My sentiments are echoed throughout the thread. Truly all class. I'd like to see Steve take on a roll with TC in the future, after he retires, if whatever job the Red Wings serve up to him doesnt keep him busy all the time, that is.

Team Canada should offer him an assistant coaching job for the 2006 Olympic Team. He would be a great influence in the locker-room before games and during intermissions.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Yzerman will still rock and roll in the NHL playoffs next spring.

No doubt about that.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Wingman said:
Woa! What a news flash. Like we didn't already know that. :shakehead

Of course Gretz will want Mario on the team, as veteran leadership. And he may contribute. That's not the real issue here. But is he really one of the best anymore? Does he think he'll contribute MORE than a couple of guys who'll be overlooked?

Mario is 75th in league scoring with a +/- of minus-17, a whopping 29 giveaways to 9 takeaways and 28 missed shots.

If Mario is used primarily on the powerplay as an extra forward then he might be a good choice. This is more a credit to the talent available than a slight to the fortysomething. BUT I do believe his leadership is a valuable factor that justifies Gretzky's faith in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->