News Article: Yzerman was “Disrespectful towards officials”

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Ex-NHL referee: Steve Yzerman was 'disrespectful'

Interesting read. I actually remember the game against Nashville they reference in the article. There’s a clip of it on YouTube. I don’t have many memories of Yzerman being a prick to officials except one instance in his last season while taking a faceoff. The linesman kicked him out of the circle, Stevie stayed in the ready position and you could clearly read his lips saying, “drop the f***ing puck” before finally leaving the circle lol.

Reactions: decaguard

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sounds like a ref had thin skin and didn’t like that someone would call him out on stuff. Standard operating procedure for officials in professional sports. I call what I call, and if you disagree, you can watch the rest of this one from the locker room.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
eh, Yzerman chirped at the refs a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if a few saw it as disrespectful at times. Also wouldn't be surprised if his teammates saw it as Stevie just doing his job and working the refs for a call they didn't like or whatever.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
being disrespectful of the ridiculous nhl officiating and rule book is a good thing . thee entire idiot nest starting with betman at the top needs be cleared out , then the rule book cleaned up . til then there shall be constant ugly bickering between players and refs because the officials , based in an outdated rule book and controled by a clown of a commisioner , are doing a terrible job . so being a very bright hockey man 19 displayed disrespect for the officials conduct . and right off the bat every nhl fan knows the circus act nhl officials turnthe face off circle into is both a crime and an ugly joke

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Theres very few players I've seen as competitive as Yzerman. Draper might be one, Gary Roberts another one so this doesnt surprise me.

Reactions: JPE123

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
To be honest, every time Paul Stewart reffed for the Wings, I knew he would try to screw them over. Paul Stewart is one of those officials who always wanted to make the games about him. I was glad when he left the league. Now they just need to get rid of O'Halloran. They are both dickheads.

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I mean, a lot worse gets said on the ice every night. It sounds like his gripes are based more on game related issues versus personal insults.

Reactions: avssuc

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Lots of guys are dicks to the officials. In fact, taking that abuse is a big part of the job. Not sure why this seems to be so noteworthy.

Reactions: avssuc

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yzerman was captain of the Red Wings.
Certain decisions officials made were anti Red Wings.
Therefore, Yzerman was justified in being a dick to officials.
It's not real life, it's sports, and in sports the only goal is to help your team win.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Ex-NHL referee: Steve Yzerman was 'disrespectful'

Interesting read. I actually remember the game against Nashville they reference in the article. There’s a clip of it on YouTube. I don’t have many memories of Yzerman being a prick to officials except one instance in his last season while taking a faceoff. The linesman kicked him out of the circle, Stevie stayed in the ready position and you could clearly read his lips saying, “drop the f***ing puck” before finally leaving the circle lol.

Yzerman is a saint, this has been clearly established.

I'll fight anyone that talks s**t about my GM.

Reactions: LazyT

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Paul Stewart is also the guy who openly admitted he held a grudge against Lindros and called more penalties on Lindros throughout his career as a result. Stewart claimed his dislike stemmed from an incident where Lindros tore up autographed posters that were intended for charity. The Flyers equipment manager at the time said Stewart's story wasn't true.

The dude made up stuff to help sell his book. It's especially funny that he uses Chelios as an example of someone who didn't berate officials.

That being said, Stevie definitely was ornery with refs later in his career. The only part of that narrative I take issue with is when people claim he was a whiner early in his career. He simply wasn't.

Reactions: LazyT

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Was Yzerman actually "disrespectful" though? Or did Yzerman disagree with a bad or controversial call and wouldn't let it go. To me there is a distinct difference between being disrespectful, and pressing a point when you have a legitimate beef.

I would take decades of people praising Yzerman's character over one person trying to sell a book. Especially when that someone is simply on the receiving end of complaints over bad calls from a person doing their job.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Was Yzerman actually "disrespectful" though? Or did Yzerman disagree with a bad or controversial call and wouldn't let it go. To me there is a distinct difference between being disrespectful, and pressing a point when you have a legitimate beef.

I would take decades of people praising Yzerman's character over one person trying to sell a book. Especially when that someone is simply on the receiving end of complaints over bad calls from a person doing their job.
I do remember that Nashville game got way out of hand because it was so poorly managed by the officials.

Unless there's some huge incident like a cheap shot, when a game goes off the rails like that it's usually because the refs are being wildly inconsistent so players take matters into their own hands.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Paul Stewart was a joke, he deserved every bit of abuse he got from players.

If I remember correctly, he was the only ref to toss Yzerman from a game and he did it three times. So if you're looking for someone who has a beef with another person, look at Paul Stewart. God, he was awful. Errey is correct when he says Stewart made the game about himself, it was quite similar to Fraser in that respect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Paul Stewart is also the guy who openly admitted he held a grudge against Lindros and called more penalties on Lindros throughout his career as a result. Stewart claimed his dislike stemmed from an incident where Lindros tore up autographed posters that were intended for charity. The Flyers equipment manager at the time said Stewart's story wasn't true.

The dude made up stuff to help sell his book. It's especially funny that he uses Chelios as an example of someone who didn't berate officials.

That being said, Stevie definitely was ornery with refs later in his career. The only part of that narrative I take issue with is when people claim he was a whiner early in his career. He simply wasn't.

Yzerman did plenty of whining early in his career. I am not surprised by this at all. I thought it was pretty well known he cursed a lot and has a huge sarcasm to a lot of his humor.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I do remember that Nashville game got way out of hand because it was so poorly managed by the officials.

Unless there's some huge incident like a cheap shot, when a game goes off the rails like that it's usually because the refs are being wildly inconsistent so players take matters into their own hands.

I do remember being at a wings game that Stweart officiated. And the crowd was really hard on Stewart booing relentlessly. The dude called like 8 penalties to none against the wings and didn't call a penalty on the visiting team until after the 10-minute mark on the 3rd. The game was already over after the opposing team scored like 5 powerplay goals. Stewart called like 4 penalties in a row on the visiting team. I was pretty new to hockey at the time and the guy next to me said you know what Stewart is doing right? He said Stewart is padding the score sheet to make it look like he called a fair game. 8 penalties to 4 instead of 8 penalties to 0. That always stuck with me for some reason.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Don't compare Yzerman to Larkin in any capacity....
Not sure what you're getting at, and I don't care for your opinion. Everyone expects Larkin to be the next captain so there will be comparisons made, so you can go fly a kite. (If we met in person, I'd be using stronger words. Considering the fact that I was kidding around, your tone is much unappreciated.)

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure what you're getting at, and I don't care for your opinion. Everyone expects Larkin to be the next captain so there will be comparisons made, so you can go fly a kite. (If we met in person, I'd be using stronger words. Considering the fact that I was kidding around, your tone is much unappreciated.)

What is the point of this post?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad