Yzerman vs Sakic

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
i lean toward sakic, but am in the it’s crazy close camp.

curious why you think so.

Sakic had:

Significantly better longevity as a great offensive player - quite a few more top 5, top 10, top 20 seasons, etc.
Better two-way prime - when adjusted for era, Sakic's best offensive seasons are comparable to Yzerman's, but Sakic was a good two-way player during his offensive prime.
Better overall playoff numbers and slightly more impressive individual runs

Yzerman had:

Better defensive peak - but he was merely a good, no longer great, offensive player by this point.

Reactions: Felidae and Ivan13

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Sakic had:

Significantly better longevity as a great offensive player - quite a few more top 5, top 10, top 20 seasons, etc.
Better two-way prime - when adjusted for era, Sakic's best offensive seasons are comparable to Yzerman's, but Sakic was a good two-way player during his offensive prime.
Better overall playoff numbers and slightly more impressive individual runs

Yzerman had:

Better defensive peak - but he was merely a good, no longer great, offensive player by this point.

Yzerman's 155 point season should be viewed on a tier above Sakic's best season (2000/01) especially given how much more he was relied on for offense.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He basically sacrificed defense for that offense. And offensively, Sakic was way ahead of the pack in 2001, just as Yzerman was in 1989.

How are you coming to this conclusion?

And Sakic didn't round out his game until after he had many seasons to try to reach Yzerman's peak season by "sacrificing defense" as you point it.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I deeply question the notion that:

1. Yzerman was bad defensively in his early years, when he was relied on heavily by an undermanned Wings team that (to me) did better defensively than their talent would indicate
2. Yzerman improved dramatically defensively in his later years, coincidentally at the same time Detroit added Selke caliber forwards like Fedorov and Draper, improved their goaltending and put together some of the more impressive collections of defensemen in recent NHL history

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I deeply question the notion that:

1. Yzerman was bad defensively in his early years, when he was relied on heavily by an undermanned Wings team that (to me) did better defensively than their talent would indicate
2. Yzerman improved dramatically defensively in his later years, coincidentally at the same time Detroit added Selke caliber forwards like Fedorov and Draper, improved their goaltending and put together some of the more impressive collections of defensemen in recent NHL history

1. i don't think most people are saying young yzerman was bad defensively, just that he wasn't great or in selke range yet.

2. to me, the operative factor is his team adding one of history's great defensive coaches, moreso than who his teammates were.

not for nothing, but shawn burr was a phenomenal defensive player and he was there through the '80s. also, most people say that yzerman jumped a defensive level around '96, long after fedorov, lidstrom, and konstantinov came over.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's very close for me but Stevie Y was one of my favorite players and one of the best of his era. After Wayne and Mario his name gets plenty of mention.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
lol stevie y had 155 pts one year, thats just ridiculous, no one will ever do that again
?????????????????
What does this mean or prove?
Guys like Pierre Turgeon, LaFontaine, Bernie Nicholls and quite a few other lesser players had better career years than Sakic also.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I wanted to make mention guys and gals (after looking at the numbers etc), a few times in this thread I had seen comments to the effect of Super Joe playing good/recognizable defense while still being better than Stevie Y offensively (not having to "sacrifice" offense like Yzerman did etc). Super Joe's 2000-2001 season was really the only season that illustrated this in a sense....the majority of Sakic's Selke votes I noticed, similar to Yzerman's, coincided with decreased offensive production (granted some of that was injury related). I just thought I'd share because I got an impression from scanning through these posts that Sakic was like a super duper shutdown center while being an offensive dervish. I think both guys are great (and of course love Stevie Y), but to say Sakic was a super duper shutdown center during his offensive peak....I don't know if that's accurate (at least based on Selke "recognition") if you will...like with Sakic I think "best wrist shot" "playoff stud." "Outstanding Penalty Killer" and "Terrific on Faceoffs" is something I associate with Yzerman......but not Sakic. Thoughts?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I wanted to make mention guys and gals (after looking at the numbers etc), a few times in this thread I had seen comments to the effect of Super Joe playing good/recognizable defense while still being better than Stevie Y offensively (not having to "sacrifice" offense like Yzerman did etc). Super Joe's 2000-2001 season was really the only season that illustrated this in a sense....the majority of Sakic's Selke votes I noticed, similar to Yzerman's, coincided with decreased offensive production (granted some of that was injury related). I just thought I'd share because I got an impression from scanning through these posts that Sakic was like a super duper shutdown center while being an offensive dervish. I think both guys are great (and of course love Stevie Y), but to say Sakic was a super duper shutdown center during his offensive peak....I don't know if that's accurate (at least based on Selke "recognition") if you will...like with Sakic I think "best wrist shot" "playoff stud." "Outstanding Penalty Killer" and "Terrific on Faceoffs" is something I associate with Yzerman......but not Sakic. Thoughts?

I think Sakic's 2-way peak and Yzerman's lack of a 2-way game at his offensive peak get a bit exaggerated. IMO, the biggest separator of the two is Sakic's offensive longevity and playoff resume with an HM to Yzerman's peak season.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How are you coming to this conclusion?

1.Mario Lemieux* • PIT199
2.Wayne Gretzky* • LAK168
3.Steve Yzerman* • DET155
4.Bernie Nicholls • LAK150
5.Rob Brown • PIT115
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1.Jaromir Jagr • PIT121
2.Joe Sakic* • COL118
3.Patrik Elias • NJD96
4.Jason Allison • BOS95
Alex Kovalev • PIT95
Martin Straka • PIT95
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In 2000-01, Sakic likely wins the Art Ross by 20 points if Mario Lemieux didn't come out of retirement to give Jagr a sustained kick in the butt.

Yzerman's season might be marginally more impressive offensively, all things considered. But Sakic was also a strong two-way player by 2000-01, taking on a pretty big defensive role for his team.

And Sakic didn't round out his game until after he had many seasons to try to reach Yzerman's peak season by "sacrificing defense" as you point it.

Yes, they both become good (sakic) or great (yzerman) defensive players around the same point in their respective careers. But Sakic's offense didn't drop at this point in his career like Yzerman's did. Sakic first received a nontrivial number of Selke votes in 1999-00. From this point on in his career, he finished 8th (2000), 2nd (2001), 5th (2002), 2nd (2004), 6th (2007) in NHL scoring. Two-way Yzerman peaked at 10th in scoring in 2000, his only top 10 finish after 1993.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivan13

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
1.Mario Lemieux* • PIT199
2.Wayne Gretzky* • LAK168
3.Steve Yzerman* • DET155
4.Bernie Nicholls • LAK150
5.Rob Brown • PIT115
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1.Jaromir Jagr • PIT121
2.Joe Sakic* • COL118
3.Patrik Elias • NJD96
4.Jason Allison • BOS95
Alex Kovalev • PIT95
Martin Straka • PIT95
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In 2000-01, Sakic likely wins the Art Ross by 20 points if Mario Lemieux didn't come out of retirement to give Jagr a sustained kick in the butt.

Yzerman's season might be marginally more impressive offensively, all things considered. But Sakic was also a strong two-way player by 2000-01, taking on a pretty big defensive role for his team.

How many points does Yzerman win the Art Ross by if you remove Wayne (and Nicholls) and Mario (and Brown) from the equation in 88/89?

And I don't think the point totals of their teammates can be ignored when comparing the offensive strengths:

Yzerman - 155
Gallant - 93
Oates - 78
McLean - 71
Barr - 59

Sakic - 118
Forsberg - 89
Hejduk - 79
Tanguay - 77
Drury - 65

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, they both become good (sakic) or great (yzerman) defensive players around the same point in their respective careers. But Sakic's offense didn't drop at this point in his career like Yzerman's did. Sakic first received a nontrivial number of Selke votes in 1999-00. From this point on in his career, he finished 8th (2000), 2nd (2001), 5th (2002), 2nd (2004), 6th (2007) in NHL scoring. Two-way Yzerman peaked at 10th in scoring in 2000, his only top 10 finish after 1993.

The point was that Yzerman's peak offense should not be framed with narrative that he "sacrificed defense" in order to reach that peak or Sakic could have reached that peak if he "sacrificed defense".

I give Yzerman the slight edge in peak seasons, all things considered.

I give Sakic a clearer edge all-time, all things considered.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Lol i really just meant 19 pages is an appropriate ending point for a thread about the 2 most legendary number 19s in the sports history

Except that at least Yzerman actually wanted 19 because of Bryan Trottier. I can't remember if Sakic was the same. So you forgot a pretty important #19. :)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Except that at least Yzerman actually wanted 19 because of Bryan Trottier. I can't remember if Sakic was the same. So you forgot a pretty important #19. :)
Not to mention this guy...
1702784553459.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad