Speculation: Yzerman To Detroit?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I do know the Ilitche's asked Yzerman to not sell his Michigan home when he left for Tampa........... Moving into a new arena. Holland's contract is up next season...... Do the math

Yzerman is smart enough to know that being the GM of the Red Wings would ruin his legacy there. Better to stay away and do work elsewhere.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
And even if there is 1 year left on Hollands contract, unless the Illitch family doesn't want Holland back, Stevie is not going to go there until Holland is finished. I have a feeling he will want to build the Wings back up to the proud franchise they have been instead of leaving them in their present framework which isn't good.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Wings fan coming in peace. You guys don't have anything to worry about, at least until Yzerman's contract is up. You guys know the type of man he is from the last six/seven years. He's not gonna jump ship when there is still a job to do.

Once his contract is up, all bets are off. But until said time, we have Holland and you have Stevie Y. We love him just like ya'll love him. We want him home, but he's too principled a dude to skip town to have it happen, particularly to jump ship from a good young team to a rebuilding, old, crappy team.

Emotions were high for one night when our glorious dump of a stadium that he filled with a generation's full of memories was getting closed down. That's it.
Yes I expect yzerman here for three more years which is what is left on his contract after that ya it's possible he bolts to Detroit we'll see then when that time comes.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I think this is NOT a real possibility right now.
I don't like what Yzerman did in this season but I know that, if we've that roster, it's thanks to Stevie Y.
I think Yzerman in Tampa is, more or less, like a King: he's doing what he wants.
And I think Yzerman wants to win at least one Cup with us...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do know the Ilitche's asked Yzerman to not sell his Michigan home when he left for Tampa........... Moving into a new arena. Holland's contract is up next season...... Do the math

The fact that he never sold his home or moved his family over the years has been curious and certainly has fed into this rumor.

All in all though it is nearly impossible to see Yzerman leaving Tampa until he has delivered them a cup. That is the person he is, I wouldn't expect him to betray Tampa fans like that. Only Tampa and Detroit really have an idea of just the kind of character he has, it just doesn't scan on that alone.

I expect one day he will return, I just don't think it is this soon. I expect Holland to sign a couple year extension over the summer. As others have said if they line it up with Yzerman's end of contract it certainly declares the Iltich families intentions. But I don't think Stevie will leave until he does what he set out to accomplish in Tampa no matter the state of things in Detroit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
How often do GM's or coaches leave to go to another team without being fired first?

in the NHL, that is pretty rare... i don't think it has happened in recent years.

i don't think yzerman is the type of guy who is going to do it, at least not when he's under contract. not a chance.

red wings are probably looking at quite long rebuild too.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Yzerman spent his career in Detroit but he's been here for seven years now. One would think he's invested enough in this franchise to not just jump ship. Besides, when his contract is up, it's been ten years and thats well above the shelf life of a GM in one team. If he keeps up his great work, of course I hope he stays but I have faith in Vinik that he'll find just as good of a man to lead the franchise as Steve.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
in the NHL, that is pretty rare... i don't think it has happened in recent years.

i don't think yzerman is the type of guy who is going to do it, at least not when he's under contract. not a chance.

red wings are probably looking at quite long rebuild too.

Babcock obviously, but other than that? I can't think of any.

TheDude

Mar 31, 2017
I think we can all agree that he's a smart guy and that he would have to be an absolute moron to go to Detroit.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I think we can all agree that he's a smart guy and that he would have to be an absolute moron to go to Detroit.

Yzerman is a smart guy but returning to Detroit would not make him a moron. Detroit could use a guy like Yzerman now and going forward. Holland's best years are behind him.

Though, given the contracts in place, things may not align for Yzerman to return.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The fact that he never sold his home or moved his family over the years has been curious and certainly has fed into this rumor.

All in all though it is nearly impossible to see Yzerman leaving Tampa until he has delivered them a cup. That is the person he is, I wouldn't expect him to betray Tampa fans like that. Only Tampa and Detroit really have an idea of just the kind of character he has, it just doesn't scan on that alone.

I expect one day he will return, I just don't think it is this soon. I expect Holland to sign a couple year extension over the summer. As others have said if they line it up with Yzerman's end of contract it certainly declares the Iltich families intentions. But I don't think Stevie will leave until he does what he set out to accomplish in Tampa no matter the state of things in Detroit.
Pretty sure he sees no reason to because its paid off. It helps as a second home for him travelling/scouting and taking some summer off.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
No one will ever know what’s going on in Yzerman’s head…like seriously it’s impossible. In this case especially, we have no idea if it was ever the plan to becomes the GM od Detroit, maybe it was to someday step into that role and or maybe it was never the plan at all to return, maybe it was meant to happened but then he fell in love with Tampa and wants to stay here until he retires, we have no idea and can only speculate. We do know that Yzerman is a very diplomatic guy; he’s not going to say anything that doesn’t make it sounds like being a GM of their team is a dream job because I’m sure both places means a lot to him, Detroit as a player and Tampa as a GM and both have allowed him to do something that he loves.

Besides, I have my doubt that he would sign guys like Stamkos and Hedman to 8-year contract and draft guys like Kucherov and Drouin and not want to at least see some of the result of his decisions as well as everything else he’s done over the years to get the team where they are, like he’s a competitive guy and I can’t see him wanting to hand of guys like that to someone else to reap the benefits until he have given it his best shot with it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He is home.

But okay, here's a thought.

You go through puberty and mature at home with your family and friends.

Then as an adult, you create your own home.

Why does the former home count as the definitive home?

Because you spent your formative years there. There is something about where you were born and raised that for some people that never leaves them. Whenever I head back to my parents house for family celebrations, turning off the interstate and being in my hometown just feels right. No matter where I've gone in life, going back always feels good.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Because you spent your formative years there. There is something about where you were born and raised that for some people that never leaves them. Whenever I head back to my parents house for family celebrations, turning off the interstate and being in my hometown just feels right. No matter where I've gone in life, going back always feels good.

And whenever I turn off the interstate to my hometown, I get a sinking feeling in my stomach and can't wait to go back to my real home.

This discussion is asinine. There is no indication that Yzerman is leaving. This is just going to be a bunch of pearl-clutching Tampa fans and annoying Red Wings fans going back and forth. I really don't want another Stammergeddon thread until there is reason for one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think Yzerman wants to be the GM who only does rebuilds.

He rebuilt the TB organization. And, despite how awful this year was, the team could be on the cusp of something big. It would be a weird time for him to leave that and start over from square one, except with fewer building blocks to work with.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It's not out of the question that he heads back to Detroit in the future. Teams rarely have lifer GMs. The fact is that GM's have an average tenure of what -- 5 or 6 years? He's already at 7. I could see us having a different GM in 5 years.

Edit: Just checked into it. Median tenure length for an NHL GM is 4 years. Average is about 6, but that is skewed because of those lifer GMs way back in the day.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I can see it like at the end of his contract but then we'd see it coming as he wouldn't be signing an extension. Either that or gets fired like everyone does eventually (say he fires Cooper and the replacement also sucks). But it won't be something sudden as insinuated by the OP.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I can see it like at the end of his contract but then we'd see it coming as he wouldn't be signing an extension. Either that or gets fired like everyone does eventually (say he fires Cooper and the replacement also sucks). But it won't be something sudden as insinuated by the OP.

Pretty much this. GMs get about 2-3 coaches. After that they get the axe.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Didn't Vinik give Yzerman stock in the team? From his introduction speech, unless there was a major falling out, it sounded like Vinik was going to give Yzerman a blank check, free reign, and unlimited chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->