News Article: Yzerman on Sandin Pellikka, Lidström and prospects in Grand Rapids(Swedish interview)

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Yzerman was interviewed in a swedish newspaper today:

Many swedish talents are knocking on the door to the Detroit Red Wings. One of those who are predicted to have a great future is Skellefteås Axel Sandin Pellikka - and he's being praised very highly by Detroit's general manager Steve Yzerman
- It's just a matter of time before he has a positive influence on the team says Yzerman to Sportbladet.

Detroit and the club legend Steve Yzerman have during the fall been able to see Axel Sandin Pellikka go from strength to strength.
Skellefteås 18 year old defender has so far achieved 6 goals during 16 SHL games and become a key player for the team. The plan is for him to eventually become one for Detroit as well.

"We're very happy to see him doing so well. Who knows when he'll be able to play in NHL but it looks like it will be a very good player" - Yzerman

"We got a bit nervous..."

Considering Sandin Pellikka got picked as 17th overall at last summers NHL draft it could very well in the years ahead be looked at as a steal.

"We were very happy to see him still there at 17th overall. We got a bit nervous and thought he wouldn't be there for much longer. It's a bit of a different player than what we got in our organisation. He's an offensive defender who moves the puck well and we don't have that kind of defender. It's just a matter of time before he has a positive influence on the team" - Yzerman

Values Lidström highly

Yzerman have a long and storied past within Detroit and is considered one of the best players to have worn the red and white jersey. The legendary player played in the club between 1983 to 2006 and during that period he won the Stanley Cup 3 times as captain. Since 2019 he's been general manager for the team and slowly but steady the team have made good progress and is currently in the hunt for a playoff spot.

To his aid he got Nicklas Lidström. The swedish legendary defender is vice president in the club and Yzerman is full of praise when he speaks of his former team mate.

"The organisation is not just excited to have him, but also how involved he is. That is in any aspect, no matter if he's in Sweden looking at prospects or if he's there watching SHL or junior hockey. He's been in Detroit a long time, he knows how the organisation works and both players and staff values him highly. He's perspective on things have been very valuable" - Yzerman

Detroit is for many associated with swedish players. Outside of Lidström the team was successful when players like Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg and Tomas Holmström made up the core. Right now it's only Lucas Raymond who's on the team when the team is in Stockholm för the NHL Globe Series. But many swedish players are knocking on the door ready to take a roster spot.

"We have many young guys who are ready to play in the NHL. This year they're getting a bigger roll in Grand Rapids to develop and play more special teams and have a bigger roll. They are very young and we're expecting them to force their way into the team within one or two years." - Yzerman

Praises the former Färjestad-defender

He mentions Simon Edvinsson, Jonatan Berggren and Elmer Söderblom as examples. But he also mentions the former Färjestad-defender Albert Johansson.

"He's started very good this year. Currently he's injured but he's close to make a return to the team. He can become a very good NHL player, he just needs to stay healthy and play" - Yzerman

Johansson joined the Detroit organisation ahead of the last season and is currently on his last year of his contract.

"Based on his play we want him to play in the NHL at some point to see where he fits in for next year. Overall it's all good young men who have a good chance to become NHL players."

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yzerman was interviewed in a swedish newspaper today:

Many swedish talents are knocking on the door to the Detroit Red Wings. One of those who are predicted to have a great future is Skellefteås Axel Sandin Pellikka - and he's being praised very highly by Detroit's general manager Steve Yzerman
- It's just a matter of time before he has a positive influence on the team says Yzerman to Sportbladet.

Detroit and the club legend Steve Yzerman have during the fall been able to see Axel Sandin Pellikka go from strength to strength.
Skellefteås 18 year old defender has so far achieved 6 goals during 16 SHL games and become a key player for the team. The plan is for him to eventually become one for Detroit as well.

"We're very happy to see him doing so well. Who knows when he'll be able to play in NHL but it looks like it will be a very good player" - Yzerman

"We got a bit nervous..."

Considering Sandin Pellikka got picked as 17th overall at last summers NHL draft it could very well in the years ahead be looked at as a steal.

"We were very happy to see him still there at 17th overall. We got a bit nervous and thought he wouldn't be there for much longer. It's a bit of a different player than what we got in our organisation. He's an offensive defender who moves the puck well and we don't have that kind of defender. It's just a matter of time before he has a positive influence on the team" - Yzerman

Values Lidström highly

Yzerman have a long and storied past within Detroit and is considering one of the best players to have worn the red and white jersey. The legendary player played in the club between 1983 to 2006 and during that period he won the Stanley Cup 3 times as captain. Since 2019 he's been general manager for the team and slowly but steady the team have made good progress and is currently in the hunt for a playoff spot.

To his aid he got Nicklas Lidström. The swedish legendary defender is vice president in the club and Yzerman is full of praise when he speaks of his former team mate.

"The organisation is not just excited to have him, but also how involved he is. That is in any aspect, no matter if he's in Sweden looking at prospects or if he's there watching SHL or junior hockey. He's been in Detroit a long time, he knows how the organisation works and both players and staff values him highly. He's perspective on things have been very valuable" - Yzerman

Detroit is for many associated with swedish players. Outside of Lidström the team was successful when players like Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg and Tomas Holmström made up the core. Right now it's only Lucas Raymond who's on the team when the team is in Stockholm för the NHL Globe Series. But many swedish players are knocking on the door ready to take a roster spot.

"We have many young guys who are ready to play in the NHL. This year they're getting a bigger roll i Grand Rapids to develop and play more special teams and have a bigger roll. They are very young and we're expecting them to force their way into the team within one or two years." - Yzerman

Praises the former Färjestad-defender

He mentions Simon Edvinsson, Jonatan Berggren and Elmer Söderblom as examples. But he also mentions the former Färjestad-defender Albert Johansson.

"He's started very good this year. Currently he's injured but he's close to make a return to the team. He can become a very good NHL player, he just needs to stay healthy and play" - Yzerman

Johansson joined the Detroit organisation ahead of the last season and is currently on his last year of his contract.

"Based on his play we want him to play in the NHL at some point to see where he fits in for next year. Overall it's all good young men who have a good chance to become NHL players."
See. He values Albert Johansson quite a bit. Just like he did last year when he was going to get the call up instead of Edvinsson. I say next year training camp, (as long as he is healthy) AlJo and Edvinsson are officially on the team and forces Yzerman to trade maatta, another player maybe, and a buyout of petry to fit them comfortably.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
See. He values Albert Johansson quite a bit. Just like he did last year when he was going to get the call up instead of Edvinsson. I say next year training camp, (as long as he is healthy) AlJo and Edvinsson are officially on the team and forces Yzerman to trade maatta, another player maybe, and a buyout of petry to fit them comfortably.
Meh, a GM never bad mouths their own prospects, I wouldn't read too much into it. AlJo has to go through waivers next season, so Stevie will have to make a choice. I think AlJo is a poor man's Djoos, maybe he steps it up this season.

In the end I think it'll be AlJo or Ed, but not both next season. Also, any buyout or trade would depend on if Ghost re-signs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn’t be surprised if Wallinder is higher in the pecking order or leapfrogs Johansson by the end of the year.

I’m really not sure Johansson has a future with Detroit and a puff piece for the Swedish media before a game in Sweden doesn’t change that.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if Wallinder is higher in the pecking order or leapfrogs Johansson by the end of the year.

I’m really not sure Johansson has a future with Detroit and a puff piece for the Swedish media before a game in Sweden doesn’t change that.
I said it like 4 months ago i think to you, but I'll say it again. I think your sleeping on aljo a bit. Time will tell, that is the beauty of letting time pass. Hopefully they all make it

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Swede's didn't ask about Wallinder? Unbelievable, they are underrating him too.

Yeah, no one in Sweden or anyone that's ever been from Sweden is talking about Wallinder.

BTW, all of the quotes in italic are from Steve Yzerman, not someone from Sweden.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I said it like 4 months ago i think to you, but I'll say it again. I think your sleeping on aljo a bit. Time will tell, that is the beauty of letting time pass. Hopefullyp they all make it
Just seems like a weird time to try to take a victory lap when he’s still not played any NHL games and we have more of a logjam on the backend than ever.

I think it’s going to be tough for him to get some games in this year or even next year, but we’ll see. He will be 23 in two months. Have a hard time seeing a path for him with the guys we have under contract and other prospects we have.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman has raved about Johansson for 2 years now and hasn't found a way to bring him up to test him and AlJo hasn't stayed healthy and/or forced the issue either. At times it almost seems like Yzerman brings up AlJo so he doesn't have to talk about other guys. It's weird.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Just seems like a weird time to try to take a victory lap when he’s still not played any NHL games and we have more of a logjam on the backend than ever.

I think it’s going to be tough for him to get some games in this year or even next year, but we’ll see. He will be 23 in two months. Have a hard time seeing a path for him with the guys we have under contract and other prospects we have.
Not really taking a victory lap here...It would be very obvious if I was (just wait if we trade perron....think I'm insufferable now? just wait on that one). I am just saying aljo was shawn horcoff's choice to get first call up, yzerman keeps interjecting aljo into the discussions when he is never mentioned (when talking about swedish players, up and coming D, etc.), and they keep talking about his intelligence (assuming hockey iq on this one). Yzerman goes after high iq players in all positions over anything else (i believe?), so it isn't crazy to think that aljo is very high on the list.

This isn't to discredit wallinder, I have high hopes for him, but you have also discredited aljo in the past and now. As I stated above, he always inserts aljo in the conversation when no one has him on the mind when talking about our D-prospects. He never brings up Tuomisto in the same fashion, doesn't bring up wallinder. All we can really do is read between the lines with Yzerman and I am damn near positive that he is doing it because he believes in aljo a hell of a lot more than wallinder/tuomisto/etc. (not ed).

Of course, I could be extremely wrong and he could be doing this for trade bait for someone he is trying to acquire, very possible there, but I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad