Yzerman offers assessment of TBL so far and going forward

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Steve Yzerman offers his view on TBL going into the all-star break.

Difficult stretch awaits Lightning after All-Star Break
By Erik Erlendsson | Tribune Staff

TAMPA — The Tampa Bay Lightning hit this weekend’s All-Star break on a high note. Winners of 10 of their past 13 games, they are atop the Eastern Conference standings as the league takes a five-day hiatus starting today.

But despite a stellar 30-14-4 record, Tampa Bay is far from a perfect team.

That was the general assessment of team architect and general manager Steve Yzerman, who offered his perspective on several aspects of the Lightning season.

‘“I think in a lot of ways we can improve and we need to improve,’’ Yzerman said.

With Tuesday’s 4-1 victory against Vancouver, the Lightning tied the franchise record of eight consecutive home wins. At 19-4-1 at Amalie Arena, they are a dominant home team.

Away from home, well, they have been average, with an 11-10-3 road record.

“I think, collectively, we are a very young group and it’s difficult to win on the road in the NHL,’’ Yzerman said. “The more experience our young guys get going into these good teams and their buildings and playing these games, it’s a good experience. There are things that we have to do, that we have to go through.

“Generally all of these younger players over time responded well to all of the challenges. And the challenge of playing well on the road, I expect them all to improve.’’

That challenge is not going to get any easier when the season resumes Tuesday in Carolina.

The Lightning have played 48 games, more than all of the teams below them in the standings, and have a difficult stretch in February with 12 consecutive games against Western Conference opponents, including eight on the road. Tampa Bay plays Los Angeles, Anaheim and St. Louis twice each and has road games against Nashville and Dallas. The Lightning close February with a home game against Chicago.

Most of those teams are considered to be “heavy’’ teams that try to wear down opponents physically. The Lightning are considered a “light’’ team that can run into trouble against bigger teams.

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/difficult-stretch-awaits-bolts-after-break-20150122/

It’s a good read and it’s nice to know that he sees what we sees so hopefully we can make the changes in game plan that is needed, especially concerning the special teams which needs to be fixed.

(I don't know if the prefix/title is right, if it shouldn't be here or needs fixing please let me know)

Last edited by a moderator:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He makes some good points on our special teams and the PP in particular, playing on the road and the (un)importance of physical play.

Conclusion: It's safe to say he's reading (and maybe even posting on) HFB/TBL! :sarcasm:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He makes some good points on our special teams and the PP in particular, playing on the road and the (un)importance of physical play.

Conclusion: It's safe to say he's reading (and maybe even posting on) HFB/TBL! :sarcasm:

Our 5 on 5 is not really the concern, it is the special teams. I think the PK has been better, but like to see it be tested against teams with a strong PP.

As per the PP, it irks me a little, thought this team could easily have a 25% PP with all this talent and be one of the top in the league. What has happened from the end of last season where it was red hot to about the middle of this season that has made it cool off so much? I don't think it's the personnel but more about the execution. I don't even know who has the most PP goals this season.

Also, you'd be surprised who reads these forums. lol.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agree about the PP. It baffles me how were not a top 5 PP with all the goals we have scored. All this talent and we can't put the puck in the net with a man advantage? And we have one of the most dangerous PP goal scorers in the league? How is this possible?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Agree about the PP. It baffles me how were not a top 5 PP with all the goals we have scored. All this talent and we can't put the puck in the net with a man advantage? And we have one of the most dangerous PP goal scorers in the league? How is this possible?

Tops in the league in scoring...average on the PP. We'd be absolutely dominant with a steady PP. You could probably have 2-3 more wins with PP that was average. 3-5 more wins with one that is as good as it was under Oates with Foster feeding Stamkos.

35-9-4 with 74 points at this point in the season wouldn't have been impossible if we had 2010 version of the PP.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tops in the league in scoring...average on the PP. We'd be absolutely dominant with a steady PP. You could probably have 2-3 more wins with PP that was average. 3-5 more wins with one that is as good as it was under Oates with Foster feeding Stamkos.

35-9-4 with 74 points at this point in the season wouldn't have been impossible if we had 2010 version of the PP.

The other thing is having a good PP will have benefits for 5 on 5 play. With an average PP, TKO cycling in the zone and creating chances, teams are more likely to take a penalty. If our PP is a weapon, suddenly they'll play a bit more afraid of putting us a man up, which should open up some space out there.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
They need to quit dicking around with Stammer in the middle on the PP. Put him over in his spot in the circle and let him work.

I know teams got hip to it and overplayed it but that's on the rest of the unit to recognize and exploit. If they are over playing stammer, then swing it the other way. If they arent, then get it to Stammer for the deadliest play in the game.

Why have the best shooter in the game jammed up in front of the net looking for a tip in.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They need to quit dicking around with Stammer in the middle on the PP. Put him over in his spot in the circle and let him work.

I know teams got hip to it and overplayed it but that's on the rest of the unit to recognize and exploit. If they are over playing stammer, then swing it the other way. If they arent, then get it to Stammer for the deadliest play in the game.

Why have the best shooter in the game jammed up in front of the net looking for a tip in.

I think the top PP unit should go back to..

Hedman - Stamkos - Palat - Flip - Callahan

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

Nope. Hedman LHD can't feed Stamkos in his office. Callahan is great at puck retrieval and NFP. Flip is NOT a threat to shoot ever.

This team is missing a RHD point shot. PP1 needs it. TJ, Palat, Kucherov, Stamkos works like a dream if you can get a RHD PP QB. I'd almost be tempted to put TJ at the point since he doesn't suck balls defensively and has the speed to recover bouncing pucks that make it into the NZ. Stralman sucks at it for whatever reason and Sustr would be painful to watch if pucks got by him. RH point shot firing the puck toward net with NFP on occasion but mainly smoothly swinging wheelhouse passes to Stamkos is what we need.

If you want Callahan in front of the net and chasing pucks on PP1, go for it. Kucherov has to stay on it though because he's an actual threat to shoot and score from the other f/o circle.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Think about what makes the Caps pp so deadly. It's not all Ovi.

It's Mike Green and Troy Brouwer imo. Troy gives them a real option from the slot/couple steps to the left of the goalie. Backstrom will work the halfwall, feed goal line(Johansson) out to Brouwer for a quick shot or Backstrom to Green for blast from point with NFP(Brouwer) and Puck Retrieval from MoJo OR, Green Feeds the Beast to his left.

MoJo can also feed Ovie from goal line out on puck retrieval.

We're missing a Mike Green type D.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would you want to break up the only unit that's looked seemingly decent all season?

Just looking to go back to a unit that worked very well in the beginning of this season and the end of last season.

It's Mike Green and Troy Brouwer imo. Troy gives them a real option from the slot/couple steps to the left of the goalie. Backstrom will work the halfwall, feed goal line(Johansson) out to Brouwer for a quick shot or Backstrom to Green for blast from point with NFP(Brouwer) and Puck Retrieval from MoJo OR, Green Feeds the Beast to his left.

I think Hedman not being on his game has hurt the PP this season. It seems our problems with the PP are coming from the points lack of shooting and keeping the puck in the zone. When they shoot, good things usually happen. It is those back passes that miss, and create shorthanded opportunities that need to also be corrected. Again, that goes back to the points.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I think Hedman not being on his game has hurt the PP this season. It seems our problems with the PP are coming from the points lack of shooting and keeping the puck in the zone. When they shoot, good things usually happen. It is those back passes that miss, and create shorthanded opportunities that need to also be corrected. Again, that goes back to the points.

Hedman at 100% doesn't handle a pass from the right half wall in any way that makes him dangerous. He'd have to be fed from Stamkos' office. Our best weapon is Stamkos' shot. Because of this, there needs to be 3 Right handers at minimum on the PP including Stamkos.

Kucherov on the Right Half-wall, RH shot at point, RH Shot in Slot, Stamkos. If you want Flip on the PP1, do it. Then PP2 can be Left Hand biased with Kucherov being the trigger from the other f/o circle. This would allow Barbs or Garrison or Nesterov to play the Point on PP2. I don't know which Lefty you want as NFP or which speedy puck retriever you'd put behind the goalline, but you get the idea. Just a mirror of the PP1 crew which has needed a RH Point Shot since Kurtis Foster.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

I did really like that unit, last season and the beginning of this season they had some great goals and great chemistry that just made it work but then Hedman got injured and Fil didn’t play the way he played last season and it went cold which sucks but I don’t know if bringing it back would work.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

i usually like what you say this is just bad.

I want the whole thing reworked hedman stamkos drouin tyjo callahan
second go with
flipper garrison stralman kucherov and palat if that doesnt do acceptable bring up boyle get rid of garrison

and yes am serious about this suggestion doubt goes over well but think we would rock it out

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Think about what makes the Caps pp so deadly. It's not all Ovi. It's Mike Green and Troy Brouwer imo.Troy gives them a real option from the slot/couple steps to the left of the goalie. Backstrom will work the halfwall, feed goal line(Johansson) out to Brouwer for a quick shot or Backstrom to Green for blast from point with NFP(Brouwer) and Puck Retrieval from MoJo OR, Green Feeds the Beast to his left.

From what I've seen Backstrom is instrumental in almost every goal, his distribution is the main focal point of their PP and he isn't like Flip who has one pass, Backstrom can hit any of the other 4 guys on the ice. Ovi's shot is their main weapon but he really on his 1 job and only needs to stay in one area of the ice. And for some reason, nobody ever challanges Backstrom when he has the puck, when Flip has it on the wall somebody always pressures him. Hoping Drouin turns into someone like this.

And yes a huge part of our PP failures is the lack of offensive IQ from the point, the most infuriating thing on the PP is seeing a pointman pass up a shot when there's a lane or shoot when there's an open pass, Hedman and Stralman do this consistently. Hedman has good instincts off the rush but his cycling game is terrible, bobbles passes, and has a terrible one timer feed.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I still think the main issue this team has, especially on the PP, is that we don't shoot the puck. We pass up A and B scoring chances looking for highlight reel passes or backdoor tap-ins. Those are great sometimes, but we can't possibly have a good PP getting 180 shots on 174 PP opportunities. 1 shot per PP just isn't gonna cut it. Doesn't matter how great the players or system is, it's just impossible to score without shooting the puck.

Edit: To clarify, I think the personnel is fine. Leave the units alone. Just get the guys to shoot the damn puck.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Fair assessment from Steve. This team is good. Really good. Do I think it can win the cup? No. We need more defense. I don't want to break up the future to win this year though. This team can be extremely good the next few years.. #91 or not. Yeah.. I said that

I'll be there no matter what. Definitely getting some playoff tickets and heading down to Tampa for a game or two

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
From what I've seen Backstrom is instrumental in almost every goal, his distribution is the main focal point of their PP and he isn't like Flip who has one pass, Backstrom can hit any of the other 4 guys on the ice. Ovi's shot is their main weapon but he really on his 1 job and only needs to stay in one area of the ice. And for some reason, nobody ever challanges Backstrom when he has the puck, when Flip has it on the wall somebody always pressures him. Hoping Drouin turns into someone like this.

And yes a huge part of our PP failures is the lack of offensive IQ from the point, the most infuriating thing on the PP is seeing a pointman pass up a shot when there's a lane or shoot when there's an open pass, Hedman and Stralman do this consistently. Hedman has good instincts off the rush but his cycling game is terrible, bobbles passes, and has a terrible one timer feed.

There is a reason no one pressures Backstrom. Green and Brouwer. He'll find them either directly or indirectly and the space created by the pressure on the puck results in a good shot against. He's also large enough to shield the puck and skilled enough to make folks look stupid.

Caps PP1 is better in almost every way to the Bolts'. Scheme, personnel, execution. If you remove Green and Brouwer, you neuter it. Is deadly because of the three way "Pick Your Poison" proposition it poses to the PK facing them.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i usually like what you say this is just bad.

I want the whole thing reworked hedman stamkos drouin tyjo callahan
second go with
flipper garrison stralman kucherov and palat if that doesnt do acceptable bring up boyle get rid of garrison

and yes am serious about this suggestion doubt goes over well but think we would rock it out

lol yeah what was i thinking. was not exactly posting something popular there after all the replies I got. I just figured if we still cannot get over 20% might need to go back to something that worked very well before. But I honestly think it really does not matter at this point who is on which unit, we have enough talent to roll two strong PP units which Coop has seemed to give ice time out evenly to. We need to execute better, Like shoot on goal, get set up better, and keep pressure going. Also think they need to shoot from the points more, or throw some of those middle passes.

Our PP is about middle of the road now, just a little below average, no way we cannot get it up over 20% with this group.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006

Zidlicky is a rental that comes to mind. RH PP QB and he'd probably be fine on the 2nd pairing. Sustr can then slide down to third pairing since Gudas is injured

Franson's name also out there

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Our PP is only middle of the road because it was decent to start the year and has been ice cold since really. Basically, if you look since maybe November, it's atrocious and nowhere near middle of the road.

We had a couple against PHI on 1/12. OTT made us look like we were ok on the PP. But prior to that it was really bad.

31 goals for on the PP. 5 goals against.

xOXds8g.jpg

That image displays Power Play stats in all scoring situations so far this season.

Shots For / 60min and Goals For / 60min are particularly telling. It's almost like you have to shoot the puck to score goals. Which kinda means you have to be setup to feed the shooters and create lanes to the net. The delay required to take a puck off the half wall feed the point, have the point pivot to his forehand and shoot is enough for D to close those lanes.

For the record, St. Louis has a Right Handed Unit and a Left Handed Unit.
STL Line + Bouwmeester/Pietrangelo is the Lefty Unit.
Steen, Stasny, Backes, Oshie + Shattenkirk(RHD) is the Right Handed Unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->