Yzerman, Messier, Sakic, what made them such great leaders?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
You never know, that's why I always like judging a player on what we do know and what we did see. He underwhelmed in his career. It wasn't as if he didn't have some good players with him in Ottawa either. Those were pretty good teams and nothing to show for it.

I think you're overlooking a lot of context with those Sens teams. Last two years they were in the playoffs their goalies fell a part. They had no offense because they were staggered by the sabres and the leafs. No one did almost anything offensively. In 98 Yashin and Alfredsson were great but the rest of the team were either injured or under performing. In 97 they were also the best players together with Duchesne. They had some good players, sure but their depth players usually screwed them.

Now for him on Red Wings. I agree with you. He defo wouldnt have been as good as Yzerman were.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
You don't have to be good to be a great leader, although leading by successful example certainly helps. Being a leader is about the people around you buying into your shtick.

How that happens is probably even more immaterial than what people are discussing in this thread.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think you're overlooking a lot of context with those Sens teams. Last two years they were in the playoffs their goalies fell a part. They had no offense because they were staggered by the sabres and the leafs. No one did almost anything offensively. In 98 Yashin and Alfredsson were great but the rest of the team were either injured or under performing. In 97 they were also the best players together with Duchesne. They had some good players, sure but their depth players usually screwed them.

Now for him on Red Wings. I agree with you. He defo wouldnt have been as good as Yzerman were.

As a Leaf fan I can agree with you those Sens teams had problems that went beyond just Yashin, although he didn't help. He went pointless in a sweep against Buffalo in 1999 and then demanded a raise while under contract and held out a year. I wouldn't call the guy a team player either, it was actually quite awful what he did, then and to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad